How to paint big solid background ?

P

polares

Hi everyone !
I got some problems with painting big area like backgroung of wall art ... I've got airbrush with 0,5 nozzle and for me it's impossible to cover big space with solid color... Maybe I should use something like pistol for painting cars ? Nozzle 1,3 or bigger ? But then How many paint ineed ? It' s not smart idea to use Createx Wicked paints then ... I havent found any informations about my problem

Sorry for my english, hope to share my doubts with You with understanding :)20131012_164136.jpg20131012_164147.jpg

For example I add picture of my latest wall, it was painted with 0,5 for background and 0,2 for details .

Thanks for your help!

polares

You are on the right track. A spray gun would be best, especially if you can get one that has a fan spray and a round spray cap. A 1.3mm is good. Instead of wicked, unless you need a specific color, use Auto Air. Very similar paint, more color choices, larger 4oz bottles. Of course either can be ordered in a 16 oz bottle or even larger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have never done something that large but I would think since it is indoors you could use regular wall paint for base color then use AB for your art.

Hi polares, I have no idea how to help you with your question but I really like your wall painting. Looks great!
cheers Mel

Hi Polares, i don't really understand your question mate:

Why are you having trouble covering your background in a solid color?
You can use a flat tone for this, which the airbrush and you can create exceedingly well.
You can most definitely continue using wicked paints for this..

Does this answer your questions?

I have never done something that large but I would think since it is indoors you could use regular wall paint for base color then use AB for your art.

I would do the same as shadow, for coverage of large area, a base colour, just everyday wall paint from a DIY store, then go in with your AB on top. That's my guess, I might be wrong though..

@ vmlepage Thanks for your answer!
If i couldn't get good effect with airbrush ( maybe too less of practice ) i'll try spray gun for walls, but then i'll need new compressor and a spray gun :)

@ AirbrushTutor Thanks for your answer !

Isn't it like coulouring whole page of paper with marker ? The paint is covering without the same intensity when the distance is bigger, and when i paint near the wall i must use a lot of paint to cover whole area ... I can get 100% color , but when i want for example paint sky from 50% to 10% opacity ( hope this is right word) it looks like on my photo.

I can't get "smooth" surface ...

And what is flat tone ?

Last edited by a moderator:
@ vmlepage Thanks for your answer!
If i couldn't get good effect with airbrush ( maybe too less of practice ) i'll try spray gun for walls, but then i'll need new compressor and a spray gun :)

@ AirbrushTutor Thanks for your answer !

Isn't it like coulouring whole page of paper with marker ? The paint is covering without the same intensity when the distance is bigger, and when i paint near the wall i must use a lot of paint to cover whole area ... I can get 100% color , but when i want for example paint sky from 50% to 10% opacity ( hope this is right word) it looks like on my photo.

I can't get "smooth" surface ...

And what is flat tone ?

Flat tone is when you create a tone or paint an area with the same opacity say 40% all over or 50% all over for example.
i can see what is happening with your paint, where it goes 'mottled'. This is because you're airbrushing from a large height - instead you should try to move a little closer and use less trigger intensity. You can also decrease that and create better blends by first doing exactly what you did, then go over with a second layer of the same colour - but add 50% transparent base to the colour.

You're best bet however if you are wanting to paint large background areas is to use one of these:
touchupgun.jpg
a 1.2mm touch up gun. I always carry one with me.. even though i haven't used it in years. This is perfect for backgrounds. If you want to create blends - from 50% opacity to 10% opacity, then you can also use the transparent base trick to help!

:triumphant:

For large wall murals, you can block in all your background colors using regular latex house paint and a roller or large brush. Then do all your detail work with the airbrush. Use a flat finish house paint to insure your airbrush paint sticks well. You can then protect it with some water based clear finish like Minwax polycrylic.

@ AirbrushTutor
That' s all i wanted to know ! And word "mottled" was missing in my post ;)

With next try i'll post here the result of your advices guys :) Next try will be my room walls.

Thank You so much, i'm new here and i'm pleasantly surprised with results of Your engagement to help other "paintpals" :)
That's great, hope to help someone here, somehow :)

I also have good experience with a an acrylic base coat, applied with a roller. Saves you buying a new spraygun and compressor. This works only when you need an opaque solid color though.

Last edited:
Back