How to spray onto any surface!

Very informative!

A couple things I'd like to add though:

He recommends using an alcohol based cleaner for everything. One material you shouldn't use alcohol cleaners on is acrylic/plexiglass. Alcohol weakens the polymer bonds in acrylic, making it vulnerable to crazing and stress fractures. You won't see any marring or adverse effects simply on contact, so it's easy to think it's fine, but anything that's going to be taking stresses or is going to live outdoors or under other rough or semi-rough conditions will have a significantly shorter lifespan. Use ammonia-based cleaners on acrylic.

I have strong doubts about aggressively using alcohol cleaner on leather, but I know almost nothing of leather, so that's an "I'd want to get this verified", not an assertion on my part.

When working with plastics in the polystyrene or ABS family, lacquer-based primers are self-etching in the same way he describes with his steel primer. In fact it kinda goes further: not just etching, but fusing. The laquer solvent "melts" the micro surface of the plastic, allowing the primer to embed itself in into it, then the plastic re-solidifies when the solvent evaporates. If you want your primer on polystyrene or ABS to be absolutely, positively permanent, use a lacquer.

Very informative!

A couple things I'd like to add though:

He recommends using an alcohol based cleaner for everything. One material you shouldn't use alcohol cleaners on is acrylic/plexiglass. Alcohol weakens the polymer bonds in acrylic, making it vulnerable to crazing and stress fractures. You won't see any marring or adverse effects simply on contact, so it's easy to think it's fine, but anything that's going to be taking stresses or is going to live outdoors or under other rough or semi-rough conditions will have a significantly shorter lifespan. Use ammonia-based cleaners on acrylic.

I have strong doubts about aggressively using alcohol cleaner on leather, but I know almost nothing of leather, so that's an "I'd want to get this verified", not an assertion on my part.

When working with plastics in the polystyrene or ABS family, lacquer-based primers are self-etching in the same way he describes with his steel primer. In fact it kinda goes further: not just etching, but fusing. The laquer solvent "melts" the micro surface of the plastic, allowing the primer to embed itself in into it, then the plastic re-solidifies when the solvent evaporates. If you want your primer on polystyrene or ABS to be absolutely, positively permanent, use a lacquer.
this is great info. I need to copy this and print it and put it somewhere in my airbrush tool box, cause finding it again can be difficult when you need it.

I thin my leather dyes with alcohol, so while it isn't terrible for leather it will dry it out. After dying I give it a good rub with pure neatsfoot oil or olive oil.
Use the oil sparingly, we're not making salads here.

I'd also clean my leather with acetone. Oil it gently, dye it and oil it gently again.
Important to let the oil soak in for a day or two before moving on to the next step or you can get blotchy results.

Back