How would you approach those clouds

Franc Kaiser

Air-Valve Autobot!
Hi guys,

I wonder whether you could help me out a bit.
I am trying to emulate clouds as seen from space (looking down on earth), something like in this picture:
untitledx (3).png

I searched the entire forum and got some clues, but I am not yet confident enough to make a start. Here are my 3 questions:

1. For such type of clouds, would you paint them over the darker background, or scratch them out of the background layer?

2. Would you use sort of a stencil or tool to cover a larger area efficiently, or tackle each cloud one by one?

3. Would you use a stencil (such as a ripped paper or a scotch brite pad) for the “hard” edges, or freehand?

It would be great if you could provide me with some pointers – that would be much appreciated!

1: the clouds are not 100% white and the back ground aka sky is dark blue so I would use blue shift to my advantage and use white ( thinned down with transparent base )
2:I would tackle each cloud one by one ( yes more work but better result )
3: a combo off stencils as you mentioned and free hand

4: look at it as a monochrome work from dark to light

1: the clouds are not 100% white and the back ground aka sky is dark blue so I would use blue shift to my advantage and use white ( thinned down with transparent base )
2:I would tackle each cloud one by one ( yes more work but better result )
3: a combo off stencils as you mentioned and free hand

4: look at it as a monochrome work from dark to light
That’s great, Ronald, many thanks for your pointers!

Clouds are not my forte, but I had guessed very similar to Ron’s advice. So that made me happy lol. Not a lot of help from me Franc, but I think Ron has you covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back