how would you go about doing this painting?

Clutch

Needle-chuck Ninja
I found a wonderful pic that I would like to try my hand at doing in color. However, I dont have much grasp on how to execute this stuff nor could I draw this freehand.... So with that being said I am at a disadvantage. Does anyone have any solid suggestions or tips as to how to spray this bad boy.. I was thinking going quite large with it and trying to really get the details in and maybe producing some nice dimension throughout the wreath, ornaments, and Jack..

Thanks in advance_337_the_nightmare_before_christmas_by_365_daysofdoodles-d8b4pyp.jpg

Well it depends on the size, if you can print it out you can use that print as a stencil.
The box and Balls are going to need sharp edges anyway so for me, the stenciled route would be the way to go.

Do you want a cartoon feel to is or a little toward the realistic side?
On this one I would start on the wreaths then the ornaments and work to Jacks face last.
Being Jack does not have a lot of detail mask that area off to keep it as clean as you can until you get to it.

Do you want a cartoon feel to is or a little toward the realistic side?
On this one I would start on the wreaths then the ornaments and work to Jacks face last.
Being Jack does not have a lot of detail mask that area off to keep it as clean as you can until you get to it.
yah i'd like to go for realism

Well then get a good reference of a real wreath , the Christmas bulbs you can pretty much shade and highlight to meet where you assign your light source.
But Map it all out Cover up where Jack and the bulbs go , Then paint your wreath Start with the highlight color and then work your darker tones in from there. But if you just try to use this picture it will be harder to make the wreath look real.

when you say map it out @Mr.Micron are you referring to just having the outline on the page?.. I dont really understand how this works.. I am going to push this to a much larger size than what it is.

working from higlights to darker your refering to going from light pale greens to darker greens? I though we worked from darker to lighter.. sorry to have so many issues and thank you for the input

also would you be using adhesive frisket to mask or liquid or ??? I am going to be doing this on poster paper for the time being.. not sure if that really matters or not.. This will be my most in depth attempt to date so im pretty nervous about it..

The reason for starting with you lighter shades of green first is so the do not get to looking muddy over the darker greens.
If you came back in over the darker greens with white you may get a color shift (even if you came over it with a light green ) Being your darker greens will be more red/brown green since that is the contrasting color for green .
when I refer to mapping it out I am just saying laying it out how you want it to fit the item you are painting it on.

also would you be using adhesive frisket to mask or liquid or ??? I am going to be doing this on poster paper for the time being.. not sure if that really matters or not.. This will be my most in depth attempt to date so im pretty nervous about it..
On poster paper I use a vinyl (used for scrape booking) due to it is design to come off paper easily . I think I gave 9 bucks for a 50 foot roll at hobby lobby.

As Mr M said, I'd use the original pic as a stencil, use TileMage or something similar to blow it up to poster size, then VERY LIGHTLY spray this outline onto your chosen material/ board or whatever it is.
This will give you the position of everything in the work.
Be careful around the edges of the stencil, because any error made here will show up on the masked area. Don't panic if you do but, 'cause these are easily concealed when you do Jack later on.
As also mentioned earlier, the wreath and baubles I would do first, using a good reference pic. You'll find heaps on the net.
As for masking, well Frisket seems a logical choice considering you'll be working large, but for the smaller and finer details and highlights, I'd probably use a liquid, either pen or brush on.
Good luck with this one, I'll be waiting to see your progress.
If you need help or advice after you start, please post it up.
Don't be like me and sit and look at it til you can't stand the frustration any more.:(

Back