HP-SB+ 0.2mm vs Infinity 0.15mm

M

Melbee

Hi Folks,
I don't want to spend money if I don't need to and I can't afford a Micron so was wondering if the Infinity would give me something more than my HP-SB+?

Has anyone experience of both the HP-SB+ (or HP-B+) and the Infinity 0.15mm airbrushes?

I've read Micron vs Infinity comments but obviously the HP-SB+ is not a Micron!! :)
I'm looking for a super fine airbrush that would give me finer lines and better control than my HP-SB+.

Any help and insights appreciated
Cheers Mel

I have a b+ and an infinity and a micron sb your not gonna achieve much more detail the micron has great atomization features that are a little better than the b+ I like the iwata b+ over the infinity personally. I feel the needle is harder and it performs at lower psi better. I see you have an ultra that can be equiped with the infinity nozzle set up and I believe that already has the quick set handle. Don't get me wrong I love my infinity great AB but seems to me you prefer a side feed if so I would recomend a H&S grafo t2 over the infinity. But the answer to your question is no you don't need to spend the money. It is nice to have more AB's running I usually have three going at once one black one white one color. Or one mid tone one dark tone one light tone.

Last edited:
Hi John,
Thanks for your reply, great you have all the airbrushes to compare.
Actually I was looking for a Gravity feed for a change but only with the small cup. I had a HP-C+ which I loved but just couldn't cope with the big cup in my view line so I part-exchanged it for the HP-SB+. Don't get me wrong I love the SB+ but sometimes I just want to do something quick and the gravity feed would just be a little less cleaning and enable abit lower psi for close up. (I know it's lazy!!:jaded:)

I found a 2nd hand HP-B+ for a good price (half the 2nd-hand Infinity price) which I was tempted to buy but decided I was buying the same brush as the HP-SB+ and so looked at the Infinity because of 0.15mm needle size.

Yes I have an H&S Ultra 0.2mm but thats the lowest model and is not as interchangable as the Evolution and Infinity, I'm not sure a 0.15mm fits. Even if it did, the Ultra has a horrible push in cup which keeps falling out and the nozzle cap is one piece so you can't expose the needle and the trigger/valve is abit iffy. Basically I don't want to invest the money in this airbrush to update it because I'd need to buy more than just the needle and nozzle. The only other thing would be to buy an Evolution that is adaptable, BUT by the time I've paid for this and that part it would add up to a similar price to the Infinity I've seen.

So there you go, that's my thinking process so far. If I had loads of money I'd just buy whatever I liked but sadly I don't.
I'm starting to favour the HP-B+ again, at least I'd be able to swap parts with my HP-SB+ :)

Hi Mel, I have a hp- b+ and its great, but what I've been using lately is my DeVilbiss Super63 with a 0.12 nozzle the "A" model with no cup at all although you can get one with a cup it's about the same size as a B model. Now I do believe madbrush has found on in a hobby shop near him in Holland so if you pm him I'm sure he will share the info with you. I don't think it was that expensive either. And it looked sexy. Lol You could also look on eBay for them, I'll buy another one if I get the chance. One of the airbrush shops in the uk has the rights to the DeVilbiss name and is starting to make the parts again so that's good news as far as spares and maybe even new airbrushes go. Or what about a badger? You have a few options anyway. Just my 2 pence worth

Hi Lee,
Thanks for the alternative, I had a look at the DeVilbiss and it doesn't look like an airbrush for me.

Funnily I've just been messing with the Ultra and have managed to fix the trigger/valve problem. The valve was tightened too much, I just unscrewed it abit and the airflow is back to on/off with no variations. :)
Does anyone know if the Evolution nozzle/aircap will fit the Ultra?
At least then I could take the aircap off and spray with the needle exposed which would make it more usable.

Still like to know if others have tried the HP-B+ and Infinity and/or the Evolution.
Cheers Mel

Hi Mel, i got both Evolution and Infinity....no Micron though....but for me i can achieve very fine lines with these also. Only with some colors its a problem at times....then just dilute a bit more and it works just fine again. My bigger problem is to keep a steady hand when going on spraying fine lines. Usually turns out all wiggly and not there where i wanted them...lol. My personal preference goes to gravity feed i noticed...have tried a bottom and side feed but these are nothing for me...personally.

And for your Q about the Evo/Ultra....if you have em both....you could always try it i guess....i cant give you any info on this subject otherwise....but perhaps some other member can answer this one more accurate.

Alex

Thanks SaxTecc05,
I just found out today that all the needle/nozzle and air caps for the Evolution and the Infinity fit the Ultra as well. Even the 0.15mm setup. Airbrush Almere had all the info on their site, never seen it before :ambivalence:

I don't have an Evolution, but I tried out my Ultra today (now it's fixed) and I was pleasantly surprised. The push in, leaking colour cup still causes problems but apart from that I could get pritty fine lines (0.2mm needle).
Now if only there was some 'cleaning fluid' proof glue I could use to stick the cup in with!! :chuncky: Anyone???

Thanks SaxTecc05,
I just found out today that all the needle/nozzle and air caps for the Evolution and the Infinity fit the Ultra as well. Even the 0.15mm setup. Airbrush Almere had all the info on their site, never seen it before :ambivalence:

I don't have an Evolution, but I tried out my Ultra today (now it's fixed) and I was pleasantly surprised. The push in, leaking colour cup still causes problems but apart from that I could get pritty fine lines (0.2mm needle).
Now if only there was some 'cleaning fluid' proof glue I could use to stick the cup in with!! :chuncky: Anyone???

You could use epoxy glue, this is resilient to almost anything when it's dry.

Wow! Madbrush, I was just sitting here with a box of 'Bison Kombi Power' epoxy in my hand!! I was reading the box to see if it would be able to do the job.
But it doesn't say much on the box so thanks to your suggestion I went online and found more details. It will glue metals and is water and chemical resistant, excellent! cos I've got some :))) I think this will do it. Do you know the stuff? Is it ok?

Will have to build up my nerve to do it though incase I mess it up!!
Cheers Mel

Wow! Madbrush, I was just sitting here with a box of 'Bison Kombi Power' epoxy in my hand!! I was reading the box to see if it would be able to do the job.
But it doesn't say much on the box so thanks to your suggestion I went online and found more details. It will glue metals and is water and chemical resistant, excellent! cos I've got some :))) I think this will do it. Do you know the stuff? Is it ok?

Will have to build up my nerve to do it though incase I mess it up!!
Cheers Mel

Yes, I use Bison all the time, you can't wrong with it.

And I think, like me, you are totally off your nut, which is a compliment by the way, lol

Just be careful when you glue it Mel.

Madbrush, have you brought that super sexy DeVilbiss yet? lol

Lee

Just be careful when you glue it Mel.

Madbrush, have you brought that super sexy DeVilbiss yet? lol

Lee

No I can't buy it now, I could be disappearing for a short time since tomorrow I will be moving back home to Scotland, but I'll explain more about that in the "Off Topic" section as soon I can, but this could be my last visit for month or two, depending on what access I can get to internet.

Hey Madbrush,I hope all goes well with your move home. I'm holding off on the cup glueing for now as another problem with the Ultra turned up yesturday. Namely when I went to clean it, the trigger chamber was completely full of paint, so obviously the needle packing o-ring needs replacing! I'd forgotten about that problem, it's no wonder I left it in a draw for years. I'm just gonna buy a gravity airbrush, still can't make up my mind which.
Thanks for your help and a laugh, hope to see you back soon.
Cheers Mel

you should try to tighten the packing before replacing it this can usually solve that issue.
Hey Madbrush,I hope all goes well with your move home. I'm holding off on the cup glueing for now as another problem with the Ultra turned up yesturday. Namely when I went to clean it, the trigger chamber was completely full of paint, so obviously the needle packing o-ring needs replacing! I'd forgotten about that problem, it's no wonder I left it in a draw for years. I'm just gonna buy a gravity airbrush, still can't make up my mind which.
Thanks for your help and a laugh, hope to see you back soon.
Cheers Mel

Hi John,
Yes I tried that (years) before but obviously it didn't work, it was tightened to the max. I took it out yesturday and gave it a good clean but the o-ring looks pritty shot. I remember doing this in the dim and distant past, hence I'd forgotten till I saw my trigger chamber ouzing blue paint (very messy).

I just think I'm better off investing in another airbrush but at least I saw how good the H & S Ultra can spray so an Evolution or Infinity has to be good, as the needles and nozzles are the same on them all.

So I'm back the same decision of which one to buy, I want a gravity feed so do I get a 2nd hand HP-B+ (basically same as my HP-SB+), a 2nd hand Evolution (both these airbrushes are about the same price) or do I pay double and get a 2nd hand Infinity (this will push my budget to the max).

Here's my thinking,
I know the HP-B+ will be brilliant like my SB+ but I am basically doubling up on the same airbrush just they'll have different feeds but it's a great 2nd hand price.
The Evolution has all the things I want that the Ultra doesn't (removable air cap, improved trigger mechanism and a screw in cup) and I can buy extra parts in stages which will spread the cost of upgrading it to being similar the the Infinity. The 2nd hand price is the same as the HP-B+ but the Evolution is as new.
Or I can pay double and get the Infinity with EVERYthing I might want already on it but it's double the price and really stretching my budget.
With both the Evolution and the Infinity I can use the Ultra needle, nozzle and air valve as spare parts.

This is why I asked the question at the top of this thread between the HP-B+ (SB+) and the Infinity. There have been many airbrush comparisons but I've not seen this one as the Infinity is usually compared to the Micron and I REALLY can NOT afford a Micron. But funnily the HP-SB+ and the Infinity are closer in price than the Micron.
Anyway I'm rambling :) Please any more insights into Iwata HP-B+, H&S Evolution and the Infinity appreciated.
Cheers Mel

Hey Andy, nice find!
It's something to think about but it still doesn't fix the stupid loose paint cup on my Ultra. I have just pulled it out of the draw to look at it again and the cup pinged off, thats the 4th time TODAY I've had to scrabble about on the floor and behind my easel to pick the dam thing up.

On top of that it leaks!!! when I'm painting. It really is horrible and I absolutely hate it, hence I was thinking of glueing the cup in, 1. to stop it pinging out and 2. to seal the sides so the cup doesn't leak paint. But what if that doesn't work?! I'll have ruined it. And besides that it's a very small opening which makes cleaning difficult as it is, with the cup glued in it will be even smaller. I wish this wasn't the case BUT it is, the airbrush is pritty good but the paint cup just seriously sucks.

It will cost about 30 euros for the repair kit and a new air/nozzle cap plus postage and I still have the terrible (possibly glued) paint cup. I can buy an almost new Evolution with air/nozzle cap, screw in paint cup and improved trigger mechanism for about 80 euros. Decisions, decisions I find it soooooo hard!

Still thanks for the headsup Andy.

Mel,

have a look in the airbrush body where the cup pushes in and tell me if there is a little rubber seal in there or even a groove where a seal could sit. I'm not familiar with the ultra but I would expect some kind of seal as I would expect wear on the cup after a while if it was a metal to metal sealing system plus i would expect paint to start leaking through especially at high reductions. have you still got the owners manual as there is usually an exploded diagram that will help show you if you have a seal missing.
The evo's and infinitys have a screw in cup that sits on a seal so it doent leak.
That site I sent the link for do new cups for the ultra as well but they take a little finding! I bought my Infinity from them as they had the best price in the UK at the time.

Andy

Back