For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Hp SB+ upgrade

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Ronald art, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

well I guess I can now call it the HP SB ++ :) I ordered some parts from Dave G and a needle from Robby for my HP and the parcel came in today and it only took a week so I am a happy camper and I cant wait to test this airbrush out later this day
    DSCN1374.JPG DSCN1375.JPG
  2. MarcosD

MarcosD Mac-Valve Maestro!

Nice lady!!! hope u enjoy it!!!
  3. Ronald art

thanks I always loved this little lady it just needed a few upgrades after 14 years :) I will test it this evening
  4. Ronald art

I know I am showing off but this trigger was a gift from Dave G
    DSCN1376.JPG
  5. Vladimir

Vladimir Detail Decepticon!

Congrats Ronald!:thumbsup:

I wonder how you'll like your upgrades.
    Can't wait to my parts arrival, I expect them in a week to come here.

What's the small thing inside the plastic cup?
  6. Ronald art

putting a micron v2 backend on a HP SB+ was a bit of a gamble and I had to drill out the needle stop so the longer HP needle had room to move but that was to be expected the small thing in the plastic cup is a DG needle seal and nut for the HP
    I was only able to give the upgrades a little test but I already know I love the low off set trigger and I will use this airbrush to work on my new painting
  7. Vladimir

Yes, drilling makes sense.

No, I mean the small thing on the right in "big" round cup.

Glad you like the trigger!
  8. Ronald art

my bad :) that small hard to see thing is a PS270 nozzle 0.2 and it fits the HP SB+ like a glove
    Vladimir likes this.
  9. Ronald art

I just had a few minutes to test 2 things I need in order to paint the way I like to paint
    1: will the HP work with low pressure now it has the SN1 needle and the answer is positive it works perfect with low pressure
    2: will I be able to control my paint straight out the bottle as in can I spray real thin transparent layers and again the answer is positive , the low trigger gives me the perfect control and direct response on the trigger movement like a micron
    the new needle guide and spring adjuster work perfect I now have a real soft feel to the trigger movement any softer and I would be able to blow the trigger back LOL
    DaveG and SiRoxx like this.
  10. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

That all sounds fantastic Ron. I’m pleased you’re liking the new parts. Looks like Robby and Dave have them dialled in great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. DaveG

DaveG Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I am thrilled everything arrived so fast! As I said in our conversations, I had really thought based on reading your experience with the limitations you face, that the trigger would help a great deal. I am thrilled that I could provide it for you!

The way you have it set up now, Micron style handle - using the two part spring retainer/adjuster, low trigger, soft trigger spring, and soft feeling needle packing, is the way that I really prefer all my brushes to be set up. It takes time to allow yourself to be gentle while trying to control everything, but the reward is there when you get a feel for it. Particularly on the HP series of brushes! They are really under rated, and under appreciated ;).
    J000seph and SiRoxx like this.
  12. Ronald art

Dave at first I didnt even notice the trigger being lower than the F1 trigger and I had a instant feel for it you did a great job there and the custom spring retainer /adjuster just lifts this HP right up to the upper level airbrushes and this 14 years old airbrush may not have the good head set up the v2 micron has but it comes real close to my micron with the current set up ! it is no longer just a back up airbrush it is a go to airbrush and I really like working with it and I didnt feel the need to grab the micron for the smaller details and that was due to the fact this HP now has that instant reaction to the trigger I missed with the original trigger and the F1 trigger
    The SN 1 needle allows me to use less pressure than before and that needle is polished to a high standard so any dry tip just blows off

let me be clear about it the HP series is not like the micron series but it comes in as a real close second and with your upgrades I would say it is pretty much as close to a micron as you can get
  13. Vladimir

Good to know that! Will keep in mind.

Not by me;) After giving some modifications to the ABs I liked C model, them I didn't like before. Now having done some improvements to micron series, I have some thought on improving A, B, SB models among HP. Maybe, that will be real cool.

BTW, some of the O-rings I'm waiting from you will come inside "C"s and my expectations are very big on the performance improvement, it should be better than with my custom teflon seals. Need to modify the needles though and maybe packing nuts for new seals. BTW, have you measured the nuts inside holes of A,B,SB and C models? I wonder if C has bigger hole for 0.1mm or not?
  14. DaveG

I have many Microns, but use my HP's far more often ;).

The packing screw is the same part in all of the HP, and HP Plus models, while the older seal was divided into two separate part numbers for the A/B/SB, and then one for the BC, and C - I have found the same seal will work just fine in either.
    Vladimir and J000seph like this.
  15. MarcosD

Hey @DaveG that nozzle can be used in my Olympos-200?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
  16. DaveG

Nope. The threads on the GSI PS270 nozzle are the same as the newer Iwata HP Plus series. The Olympos 200 uses the older, non-plus nozzle threading. The older ones have a finer thread.
    MarcosD likes this.
  17. MarcosD

thanx

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk