hvlp and auto air

action

Young Tutorling
using airbrush and auto air,doing several light coats...i mix paint in a plastic cup and add to airbrush a little at a time as needed...this way in between coats i flush the gun and have no tip dry or clogging....For larger areas I want to try hvlp touch up gun....will i expect tip dry or clogging if i leave paint in cup between coats...any tips helpful..thanks

tip dry has nothing to do with the paint being left in the cup, its to do with paint build up on the needle tip and the air running across it. If your airbrush action is to use it like a spray can, then you'll suffer more tip dry than if you use the proper 'air always on' method.

using airbrush and auto air,doing several light coats...i mix paint in a plastic cup and add to airbrush a little at a time as needed...this way in between coats i flush the gun and have no tip dry or clogging....For larger areas I want to try hvlp touch up gun....will i expect tip dry or clogging if i leave paint in cup between coats...any tips helpful..thanks
It's no problem in a gun.
And between coat times should not be anywhere near long enough to get drying innthengun except maybe a ring in the cup.
It fine for hours in a cup.

Like Robby said, you shouldn't have any issues for short periods but I wouldn't leave it in for hours.

Lee

I'd use for waterbased paints HP technology rather then HVLP, as with HP you have better atomization of the flow, thus thinner paint layers and faster drying time between coats.
There are some cheapo HP touch up guns that work well.

thanks for info...i ll try my spray gun, see how it works...as far as the airbrush...i understand tip dry when it sits for few minutes...but how long can auto air sit in the airbrush cup and chamber before it will give a problem .....just trying to get the procedure to paint a helmet worked out....

thanks for info...i ll try my spray gun, see how it works...as far as the airbrush...i understand tip dry when it sits for few minutes...but how long can auto air sit in the airbrush cup and chamber before it will give a problem .....just trying to get the procedure to paint a helmet worked out....
I've left it overnight with a lid on.
It is really no different than it sitting in the bottle.
Shake it up again and go to town.

tried my hvlp gun 1.0 tip at 30# and 40#, all i got was a little splatter very little atomization, even when i thinned paint...little paint...i did not have much paint in the gun,maybe 1 ounce or better...don t like painting large area on helmet with airbrush gun but had no choice...hait to have to buy iawata anest touch up gun....any ideas how i screwed up or the gun

tried my hvlp gun 1.0 tip at 30# and 40#, all i got was a little splatter very little atomization, even when i thinned paint...little paint...i did not have much paint in the gun,maybe 1 ounce or better...don t like painting large area on helmet with airbrush gun but had no choice...hait to have to buy iawata anest touch up gun....any ideas how i screwed up or the gun
what's your gun?

That's not much info to go off of ...

They call for 10-20 percent reducer for that gun.

But id be most apt to think that you've messed up somewhere with your regulator setup.

Like adjusting it without having the trigger pulled. Or having two in line.

Or having the built in on the gun not open.

As requested above:
What gun
What paint
What pressure!!

And Robby is on the right track I think. It sounds like an airflow issue... either lack of air coming into the gun or lack of air being able to get out of the brush due to clogged/damaged nozzle

Back