I could use some advise

War Hammer

Young Tutorling
I am just starting airbrushing and I don't do it nearly enough to show any of my work.
With that said I own a cnc plasma cutter and I decided to do a project for myself. I cut this flag out on my table I then prepped the steel and used my airbrush to paint the color.
So far in my airbrush endeavors I have only used Createx water based colors (Their wicked and auto air).
On this project I used the Createx auto air candy red and candy blue. Then I clear coated it with a gloss clear from Rustolum spray can (not water based.)

Here is where I need the advise. for me this worked out well. it is a personal project one of the first airbrush projects I have done and it will hand on my wall inside. The problem is I keep having people wanting to buy one. I am not sure I am confident enough to sell them but people keep asking so I figured I better get going on learning this skillset.

If you look at the picture you will see that when I clear coated it in a few places the red blead and for me that is ok but if I were to sell these this would not do.

any suggestions on how to keep this from happening ( I am assuming I was to heavy on the clear coat)? Also is there a better paint to use to make it more durable outside if I wanted to hang one of these out side? I don't mind doing a base clear like car paint I am just unsure If I am using the right products for longevity.

Thanks for reading my novel and if you made it to the end I would love to hear your advice.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6880.jpg
    IMG_6880.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 29
Warhammer, I'll delete your other thread or you'll get answers across both and you'll get confused.

If its going outside then you need a clear coat with UV protection, so a good car clear coat should suffice. you can get it in rattle cans for ease of use.
You MAY need a bleed check layer when using the candy. (others will advise better I'm sure) before the clear coat.

when you clear coat Lay the panel flat, do a light mist coat. let it flash off then do another few light coats.

Warhammer, I'll delete your other thread or you'll get answers across both and you'll get confused.

If its going outside then you need a clear coat with UV protection, so a good car clear coat should suffice. you can get it in rattle cans for ease of use.
You MAY need a bleed check layer when using the candy. (others will advise better I'm sure) before the clear coat.

when you clear coat Lay the panel flat, do a light mist coat. let it flash off then do another few light coats.
Thank you so much I wasn't sure where to put the thread. and thank you so much for the advice. I can use all I can get.

Candies are a different beast than 'normal' airbrush paint, they have a tendency to bleed into other layers if no barrier coat is used. be very careful where the colours are alongside each other too.

You said you used Createx Auto Air Candy Red and Blue. I'm going to assume you're using the Auto Air Colors pigment based candies as opposed to the candy2o line. Is that correct?

You said you used Createx Auto Air Candy Red and Blue. I'm going to assume you're using the Auto Air Colors pigment based candies as opposed to the candy2o line. Is that correct?

I am sorry I didn't realize there was a difference but the color blue is the candy20 marine blue 4655 and the candy20 blood red 4650. Although I have to admit other then spraying the colors I know nothing about the paint itself. does this make a difference?

What would be the best quality paint to use?

I am sorry I didn't realize there was a difference but the color blue is the candy20 marine blue 4655 and the candy20 blood red 4650. Although I have to admit other then spraying the colors I know nothing about the paint itself. does this make a difference?

What would be the best quality paint to use?

No problem my friend. There is a big difference. Candy2o are true candies, meaning they are aniline dye based as opposed to pigment based. Aniline dyes are 100 percent transparent whereas pigment based paint is not. At some point the pigment takes over and starts to cloud out underlying detail. Candy2o allows that detail to show through.

The downside to aniline dye based candies is they tend to bleed, or leach into subsequent layers of paint as Jackie mentioned above. There are ways to mitigate the bleed; however, I don't think that is your issue because you're not putting artwork or anything else over the candy colors. You're just spraying red, white and blue. To be honest, using candy20 for the purpose of painting these flags is kind of a waste of candy in my opinion because you're not taking advantage of what candies can really do. Using a metallic white as your base coat would allow you to take full advantage of the candies. If you're not going to use the metallic base, you'd be better off using straight colors (like a scarlet red and a cerulean blue for example).

The bleeding issue you experienced looks like tape bleed to me, which is exacerbated because you have cut lines between each individual stripe on the flag with small solid areas in between those cuts. Use good tape to mask off your lines. Cheap tape tends to bleed a lot more than good tape. Make sure the tape is burnished down good when you apply it and double check it just before you spray color.

Createx products are quality products suitable for what you're doing. I've been using Createx exclusively for more than a decade now for custom automotive work. For a flag that will be exposed to the elements outside, I would definitely use an automotive style 2k clear.

Wikedartstudio Thank you so much for your suggestions. I really like how the candy seems to have a deeper draw to it rather then just a solid color. Although I have never used a pigment based candy.
I would love any and all suggestions. I did not use any white on this project at all. There is only the bare steel (with some mill scale I left on for some depth). I like your idea of shooting a white if you think it will bring out more depth and improve the art.
What metallic white would you suggest? I will also be looking into getting some automotive style 2k clear. Any suggestions on that as well (brand, part number etc.) like I said I am a true novice at this and I want to make a high quality piece so I am open to and will make adjustments.

Thank you so much for the input.

I did not use any white on this project at all. There is only the bare steel (with some mill scale I left on for some depth). I like your idea of shooting a white if you think it will bring out more depth and improve the art.
What metallic white would you suggest? I will also be looking into getting some automotive style 2k clear. Any suggestions on that as well (brand, part number etc.)

Whoops... my bad! Looking at the photograph I thought you used white paint as a base. If you are shooting directly over bare steel then candy2o is definitely the way to go. You do need to put a barrier between the candy and the steel in order to prevent rust though. You can use Createx UVLS Gloss Clear for that or an automotive 2k clear. I use House of Kolor clear. If you are not familiar with 2k clear and the dangers associated with using it, please do some research first. Isocyanate poisoning is not something you want to subject yourself, or your family to!

A metallic base coat just gives a different effect. You'll see the metallic particles reacting to light under the candy similar to how the bare steel reacts to light under the candy.

Thanks again for the replies. I will look into the 2k clear as well as the autoair metallic paints. I will keep you all updated on progresses as I go along.

Back