For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

I found a cheaper alcohol to clean my airbrushes

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Ronald art, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Up till now I used 70% alcohol to clean my airbrush as that is about the only good stuff to clean out etac efx and ps but alcohol is getting hard to come by and expensive at 12 euro's a liter so I asked Bill Edwards if there was a good alternative and he pointed ethanol out to me and I went to a local shop to find out bio ethanol is only 3 euro's a liter so I picked up a bottle and tested it today and it cleans out my brush much faster and better than normal 70% alcohol :)
    Robbyrockett2, doc1, SiRoxx and 3 others like this.
  2. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Brilliant!, would never have even thought about it. Must have a look now.

Lee
    SiRoxx likes this.
  3. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Pretty much super concentrated airbrush cleaner.
    If I remember right createx restorer is like 10percent ethyl alcohol (ethanol) and 90 percent water.

(
    There's a hitch there that allows for like 4percent something to denature the alcohol but still just call it alcohol, I think they use something oily-ish like ethylene glycol or idk what but anyhow ....
    )

So you could even easily dilute that stuff down a good ways and still have a great cleaner.

Oh and your new needle seal is totally compatible so no worries using it to flush through either
    DaveG likes this.
  4. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I use 91% rubbing alcohol. Costs about €3 for ½ a liter here. But I still thin it down to about a 10:1 (water:alcohol) ratio and it works fine.
  5. Ronald art

this bio methanol is actually just 1.68 a liter I have not been able to find any rubbing alcohol and it sounds like a plan to dilute it and get even more out off it :)
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  6. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Ethanol is often referred to as pure alcohol even though the term "pure" can refer to any proof. Pure Alcohol is considered "pure" regardless of the "cut" of water (proof). Pure Alcohol (Ethanol) is commonly referred to as Beverage Grade Alcohol. It is always 192 proof and derived from natural sources.
    Sounds a whole lot like MOONSHINE to me :D
    and all ya need is some corn and sugar and water and yeast and a still set up to make your own:D
    bio is just a yuppie term to say it is made from plants LOL corn is a plant or at least the seed of one.
    Oh and if ya ain't a drinker then you only need a small one gallon still which will make ya about 2 quarts which will last ya a while on just cleaning your airbrush .
    Squishy and doc1 like this.
  7. Ronald art

It is a shame I live in a small village and our house is not big enough to get into moonshine and trouble is I am a drinker and 2 quarts wouldnt last me weekend :D
  8. Mr.Micron

Ya never shine in the house it is an outdoor event :D and being you're a drinker I suggest a 10 gallon pot 5 gallon should last ya a weekend :D
  9. Nokie

Nokie Gravity Guru

10. Mr.Micron

No!!! good shine is made in a copper pot not stainless Plus that would not make enough for him to drink:D Just so ya know a 10 gallon pot will make 5 gallons of shine that is after you proof it , You lose about a quart (to be on the safe side) on the head and about a half gallon to a gallon on the tail mainly due to that is weaker But might make a good airbrush cleaner.
  11. Nokie

Nokie Gravity Guru

Yea I just figured if he wanted something to use indoors.
    We get some pretty good shine in these parts. My dads been sitting on a quart he got from his buddy from Tenn. supposedly from popcorn sutton
    doc1 likes this.
  12. Ronald art

small house means small back yard and and surrounded by nosy people but ho boy if I had the chance and a good outdoor space with a little privacy I woulld give that shine a go and not for cleaning the airbrush :D
  13. Ronald art

well I mixed the methanol with a tiny amount alcohol based window cleaner I had standing around and used for quick cleaning between colors and about 50% water and it works like a charm and I had a old but good nozzle for my HP lying around that would not clean up with every thing I tried I know it was etac PS paint in that nozzle so and that paint cant stand alcohol and I would normally let is soak in alcohol 70% but that didnt do the trick when I last tried so this time I used the methanol as it is in the bottle to soak the nozzle in and in less than a minute I was able to insert the needle and pushed out the crud that was in the nozzle
    no doubt about it this is the perfect stuff to clean my airbrushes and it is a keeper in my book
    doc1 and Robbyrockett2 like this.
  14. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel! Very Likeable!

If I ever get up your way again Herb, I wanna see how you make shine. Or is it a closely guarded secret? :p
  15. Mr.Micron

Nah Jim if ya come up here again I am gonna teach ya to paint first while drinking shine. you have to work your way up to learning how to make it :D
    JackEb likes this.
  16. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Methanol is a different beast, but we knew what you meant I think.