I love Badger

R

Robert Kuzmeski

So, my 'Newbie Having Problems' thread is a thing of the past, I think. I got GREAT advice from very helpful members here was to buy a new brush because the Master I bought was ruining things for me.

I bought a Badger Krome and a Sotar 20/20 for use on miniatures. Now that I have had consistently good experiences, I am using them for other applications like the art tutorials. Friends are asking me to make playmats for the games we enjoy.

I am now a huge fan of airbrushing, of this forum and a staunch Badger guy!

Thanks all!

- Bob

Glad its all going good Bob.
I have a question, I also received a Krome yesterday but the needle was quite sticky with machine oil (i guess).
To the point that it would not move back and forward without a push.
I cleaned what I could of the needle but there is still more coagulated oil inside.
Did you have this with yours?
Am I expected to clean it inside and out to get the sticky oil off before I use it?
Peter

I did have problems on first use, fly. Took me forever to figure out where it was gunked up and it ended up being the tip. I only discovered it here when someone said it's good to clean a new brush because of build up. I hadn't seen the tip before starting but when I got jammed up, the full clean did the trick.

Since then, total Badger bliss!

I just found it strange seeing the china copies I have where clean and fine out of the box.
The Krome has the same type of stuff that they have over new metal machine equipment.
That goey sticky stuff that they then cover in plastic to stop rusting and it takes ages to get off.
Its not machine light oil that you can wipe off, its more like a gum, like grease that has dried out, does that make sense.

There is nothing in the instructions telling me I need to dis-assemble and clean before use (or what to clean it with).
I've tried to remove the tips with my fingers but I think they are all gummed up as well as they won't budge at all.

mmm
Peter

Glad its all going good Bob.
I have a question, I also received a Krome yesterday but the needle was quite sticky with machine oil (i guess).
To the point that it would not move back and forward without a push.
I cleaned what I could of the needle but there is still more coagulated oil inside.
Did you have this with yours?
Am I expected to clean it inside and out to get the sticky oil off before I use it?
Peter
Some of the new lube becomes sticky if it sits in the ab too long. I know Ken has been working to get this fixed but it is not only the lube that Badger uses but other ab lube companies as well.
As fez said clean it , but only re-lube right before usages.
I had the same issue with the infinity I bought ,

i was speaking with prof.zsolt and he said even the iwata super lube,which i believe is water based under testing appears to have some solvent properties, so gumming up but also the swelling of o rings is possible, he reccomended silicone gel for lubing, this is the same stuff that once the rubber is manufactured, they cover it with and put it in storage for like 10 years with no adverse effects......

i didnt ask him about ky or joy jelly

i was speaking with prof.zsolt and he said even the iwata super lube,which i believe is water based under testing appears to have some solvent properties, so gumming up but also the swelling of o rings is possible, he reccomended silicone gel for lubing, this is the same stuff that once the rubber is manufactured, they cover it with and put it in storage for like 10 years with no adverse effects......

i didnt ask him about ky or joy jelly
Good information Fez .

Awesome purchase, my Badgers are my work horses and have been for several years!! One thing about the Kromes as well, on one of mine, when I received it, the needle wouldn't pull back freely, it was due to the needle packing in the inner body being about an 1/8th turn too tight so I had to take a small screw driver and back the needle packing off an 1/8th of a turn. Once that was done, it worked like a charm!!! The Krome and Sotar are definitely 2 of Badgers finest brushes in my opinion, and I know from experience that you have seen the difference everyone tells you about between the Master brushes and some name brand, well worth the extra money to get name brand because theyre built better and the action on them are so much smoother not to mention the atomization is much finer!!! Congrats on your purchase and enjoy!!

Thanks for the replies guys.
I'll try to get it apart and clean it.
Seeing I bought mine in Aus from an Aus seller its more than likely its been sitting on a shelf for ages.
It is brand new in box so its whatever lube it came out of the factory with.

Thanks all again Peter

It's interesting how this stuff plays out. A friend that I trust recommended that Master to me. He has one, swears by it and has no trouble after years of use. Mine was bad from the beginning. I'd like to sell or trade it if I can fix it up but not if it works like junk.

The Sotar I bought for price and so I can do artwork with fine lines. I loved the feel so much that when I decided to get something other than the master, it had to be Badger. They just feel comfortable.

Since posting this, I've had four more paint sessions....all of which were fun. Not at all what my Master experiences were like.

Now I just need to get better at controlling splatter and coverage!

- netgeist

That's the thing with the knock-offs Robert. If they work they are wonderful, but if they don't it can make you give up the art because you think it is you and not the equipment.

That's the thing with the knock-offs Robert. If they work they are wonderful, but if they don't it can make you give up the art because you think it is you and not the equipment.

I agree with Andre', i personally havent had any issues with the cheap knock offs but i know people who have and it kills your enthusiasm. Now you have some good equipment you can concerntrate on producing some nice work. Forget the old ab's they're in the past now. Don't forget to post some pics of what you're painting. Were all interested.

Lee

Back