I need some clarification on Olympos please.

ausf

Needle-chuck Ninja
So many questions...

Does the Olympos MP-200 series listed as Micron compare to the Iwata?

What's the difference between 1 hole and L3 heads?

If the MP series are indeed Microns, why is the 'premium' over 3 times the price and well over the price of a new Iwata Micron?

I understand the irregular 200A I just bought has issues: a few dings in the body, sub optimal color cavity finish and a rough trigger response, but the MP-200s aren't irregulars.

Does the Olympos MP-200 series listed as Micron compare to the Iwata?
The Olympos Micron was the first Micron. I purchased this MP200B in the later part of the 1980's as an Iwata Micron - clearly marked and branded as Olympos. The only Iwata thing about it was a hang tag and paper work.
olympos Micron mp200b.jpg

Olympos closed up shop at the end of the 1980's. Some say Iwata licensed the Micron from them. I have heard they simply took it. The Olympos stock being sold today was purchased in bulk and is original production... but from the 1980's. There has been maybe 4 upgrades/production changes in the Iwata version, so they are really no longer the same. Most notable will be changes to nozzle, nozzle cap and needle. Some people swear by the original Olympos, some people swear by the Iwata. The long taper needle of the Olympos will bend if you look at it wrong, the double angle taper of the Iwata is a lot more stout, but looks blunt in comparison.

What's the difference between 1 hole and L3 heads?
Pretty simple - the one hole head has a single hole in the removable head to transfer air from the body to the head of the brush. The L3 has 3 holes. The Iwata is closest in spec to the L3. They work differently but not everyone will have the ability to tell the difference.

If the MP series are indeed Microns, why is the 'premium' over 3 times the price and well over the price of a new Iwata Micron?
They are as Micron as Micron can get. The premium fetches a premium because they can. I would never pay for it - but hey, to each their own...
I understand the irregular 200A I just bought has issues: a few dings in the body, sub optimal color cavity finish and a rough trigger response, but the MP-200s aren't irregulars.
The 200A you purchased was sold exactly as it was listed - as an Irregular. The MP series are just as they were as a premium product in the 1980's.

The Olympos Micron was the first Micron. I purchased this MP200B in the later part of the 1980's as an Iwata Micron - clearly marked and branded as Olympos. The only Iwata thing about it was a hang tag and paper work.
View attachment 88049

Olympos closed up shop at the end of the 1980's. Some say Iwata licensed the Micron from them. I have heard they simply took it. The Olympos stock being sold today was purchased in bulk and is original production... but from the 1980's. There has been maybe 4 upgrades/production changes in the Iwata version, so they are really no longer the same. Most notable will be changes to nozzle, nozzle cap and needle. Some people swear by the original Olympos, some people swear by the Iwata. The long taper needle of the Olympos will bend if you look at it wrong, the double angle taper of the Iwata is a lot more stout, but looks blunt in comparison.

Pretty simple - the one hole head has a single hole in the removable head to transfer air from the body to the head of the brush. The L3 has 3 holes. The Iwata is closest in spec to the L3. They work differently but not everyone will have the ability to tell the difference.

They are as Micron as Micron can get. The premium fetches a premium because they can. I would never pay for it - but hey, to each their own...

The 200A you purchased was sold exactly as it was listed - as an Irregular. The MP series are just as they were as a premium product in the 1980's.
Thanks Dave, that clears it up.

I'll play around with this 200 for a while.

The Iwata Micron is one brush I've wanted for a long time, but never pulled the trigger.

I'd have no issue using an 80s version over a new Iwata if they perform similarly, but if the needle is better, more readily available Iwata may be the better choice.

Between the 771, the 200A and my Infinity CR plus with .15mm I pretty much covered for my limited abilities at this point.

In your opinion, would the Olympos MP or Iwata Micron be a different experience worth jumping in on or is it a case of just a bit better bells and whistles compared to what I have?

I've been airbrushing since the early 80s, but only in the last few months did I realized I was using it as a controllable rattle can, leaving most of it's abilities on the table.

You will be hard pressed to tell the difference in performance between an Iwata and the PS771, other than ergonomics. If looking for a different experience, I would maybe think about the new Takumi, as it's shortened front end gives a different feeling than all the others. That said, knowing your background, I might be more tempted to suggest the new Eclipse Takumi. I think it is one of the easiest brushes I have to get along with. There are people that swear by the Olympos Micron and the old school specs. Me, I almost always change mine out for either Iwata or Creos (or a combination of the 2) working bits...

You will be hard pressed to tell the difference in performance between an Iwata and the PS771, other than ergonomics. If looking for a different experience, I would maybe think about the new Takumi, as it's shortened front end gives a different feeling than all the others. That said, knowing your background, I might be more tempted to suggest the new Eclipse Takumi. I think it is one of the easiest brushes I have to get along with. There are people that swear by the Olympos Micron and the old school specs. Me, I almost always change mine out for either Iwata or Creos (or a combination of the 2) working bits...
All great info, thanks Dave.

Since my two favorite brushes in terms of comfort are the T&C Model A and the Turbo AB without the handle, you're absolutely right in terms of Takumi as the choice. Honestly, I never compared the design of the Takumi vs the other beyond the side cup.

The only thing I don't really like about the 771 is size, I attached a photo of where the nozzle and triggers line up. Much different experience operating the 771.

The other two fit in my hand like a old pencil nub.

IMG_0969 2.JPG

Here is a little information about the possible uses for the Olympos 200ABC, Class B brushes. Perhaps this will help you.

Back