I ruined the lot - what to get now ?

JackEb

The Dragon Hunter
Staff member
Admin
Ok boys and girls,
I started a thread last night that got lost in the transition to the new server, I managed to get several responses before it got blown into cyberspace, but I'd still like a few more responses to the second part of my query.

when I was tidying up the 'hen den' (my garage/workshop for those not in the know) I discovered …….Dun dun duuuun . . . . .

bottle1.JPG bottle2.JPG bottle3.JPG

This happened because I placed a ball bearing into the bottles to assist in mixing, as some didn’t appear to have any 'rattle' when I shook the bottle (it may be a case of the 'rattle' got stuck in the pigment but I figured one more wont hurt. )

I stupidly didn’t stop to think…….. they should have been STAINLESS steel or brass bearings.

I had resigned myself to the fact they were useless and were to be replaced.

anyway………. Rebel Air and a couple of others were very sympathetic to my plight and withheld their laughter and a few suggestions were made:

- use a syringe and remove the majority of the paint into another container, remove offending object, wash bottle and return the paint to the bottle
- in future use something non metalic like ceramic or glass beads, marbles or even small stones from the yard. (for the record I now have a nice collection of about 50 suitably small stones to use)

because I'm scared of little tiny miniscule pieces of rust upsetting my (also virgin) HP Iwata brushes I will resign these paints to my practise sessions with my cheap chinese knock off brushes.

and here is the second part of my query.
because I like to think every cloud has a silver lining, I thought "at least now I have a legitimate reason to buy some 'wicked illustration' paint" and I'd like some opinions on the following question.

with the exception of the black and white what others, if any, should I replace with 'illustration'

I don’t plan on doing anything anywhere near the standard of you guys and gals for a few years yet, but I'd like to start doing some scenic backdrops for reptile tanks as practise when I'm about ready to poke myself in the eye with some dots and stab myself with the daggers……

so, what do we all think ?

Last edited:
Your HP is a virgin you better pop it's cherry!!!!! The whole paint thing sucks but I know it won't happen again I alway did the same trick but use STAINLESS (not laughing at you) little nuts. But hey good excuse to buy more paint and it would be a waste of an order if you didn't get some new colors.

theres enough nuts running around here without me adding to them !!!

i have TWO HP virgins an 'A' and a 'B' :)

so what paint do you suggest, i've heard good things about the illustration range, and it 'allegedly' suffers less with tip dry *bonus* so i figure the black and white are a no brainer and theyre already on the list. what about the others, i read (somewhere in cyberspace) that the illustration range was the best at base coats, so i'm thinking i should keep the wicked detail basic colours.

and in case you've forgotton, its water based only paints for this little black duck !

E'tac or Grex same stuff, If you are set on createx there illustration and there wicked detail is good, those I have used the HP-B+ and thats what I run through it have illustration paint un opened and a box of wicked haven't gone back after using Etac/Grex. They seem to run better through the finer nozzles. Being you are in Australia I would look into Trident have heard allot of great things about Trident paint.

Cool :) thanks for the input, i will definitely check out the tridents

Jackie the Illustration is out standing stuff,
You can try putting the paint slowly through a filter until you get to the parts that are stained with the rust , Might be able to save it for practice paint.

Cheers MM, RebelAir suggested a syringe yesterday so I guess I've found a use for the syringes supplied with the HP's
The paint will definitely be delegated to the 'practice only' department with my Chinese airbrushed for dots and daggers. My finger is going to be getting a good work out building up muscle memory :)

For me paint type doesn't really matter, i'll generally happily use anything, especially Airbrush Specific sets..Spectra-Tex is my fave atm and has a good price in comparisson to some of the others. Etac if you want to get into erasing, trident (never used em myself but heard lots of good things...and a few bad) TOP, an Australian made brand, very cost effective as well and spray nice (You can find them at airbrushfocus) of course the wicked ranges..As to what to buy..The cheapest way I have found is TOP, when I first started out I bought a primary set, consisted of Black, White, Red yellow and Blue (besides the white and black the rest were transparents). They came in a 500 ml bottle for around $100 for the set (I think they are a bit more expensive these days) This set lasted me close too three years worth of painting..I did have to buy more white as the years passed..Its a very good idea if you want to cheapen it down for yourself to go this road (Whatever brand you buy) as ultimately you can make any color you need besides specialty metallics and such, be it transparent or opaque...Good luck m8, hope your new stones serve you well :)

:)

Thanks heaps guys! It's nice to see not one single brand is the choice, it tells me that it pretty much comes down to Individual user preference.

I might have to get a few different brands of whites and see how they go and what suits me

My stones are soaking in a bucket, just to make sure nothing contaminates the paint … can you spell paranoid ?

:) I would but my clear coat has this weird rust color going on…

(Im Joking - even I am not that paranoid).

Bummer about your paints Jackie, but as for new paint, I guess it depends what you want it for. If you only want to work on board or paper then I guess (guessing cos I haven't tried it) that the illustration paint would be great for that, I've heard it erases easily, and I think (?) is re-wetable, will this be robust enough for what you want? I guess you could clear coat it after.

I use wicked/wicked detail, cos that's what I've got used to, it works really well for me, I know I can get the effects I want from it, and I can use it on anything from paper, material, metal and pretty much anything else I want. I don't have the money to try out all the different types of paint so just stick to an all rounder.

SQUISHEEEEEEEE :)

How's you doin dudette ?

From the little time I have had with the wicked detail it didn't seem to bad, I know tip dry is an issue with white paint but I'd like to find something that doesn't require cleaning every 30sec if I can, so while I'm bad at everything I figure I may as well experiment with what 'feels' right and I think white will be a good test. :)

How's you doin dudette ?

From the little time I have had with the wicked detail it didn't seem to bad, I know tip dry is an issue with white paint but I'd like to find something that doesn't require cleaning every 30sec if I can, so while I'm bad at everything I figure I may as well experiment with what 'feels' right and I think white will be a good test. :)

I have gotten tip dry with HOK white. so it is not only waterbased paints that do it.
But I have tried pretty much most of the major brands I can get my hand on.
Spectra-tex is great almost no tip dry on white
Etac is good just was not for me.
Wicked / Detail Love it
Golden airbrush paints was not to bad but I have not tried them again since getting better at airbrushing.
Trident flow great , Only thing I was not happy with was even after it sat all night it would re-wet to easy for my taste.
But Color pops . and there is only 8 colors:D less to buy but more to mix and layer.
HOK Love it want to paint it all the time but .. money is an issue.

I will try to do a test with the new reducer and wicked detail white tomorrow nite I remember Carlos doing one with the Illustration white so i will find some black paper and give it a try that way if its warm enough to paint

Last edited by a moderator:
I used some stainless steal nuts in some of my paints not thinkin. It did get quite that bad. But I used a magnet to get them out. Didn't ruin the paint. Got lucky. I am looking for some of those decorative glass beads to put in the paint. Not sure where to get them.

Dylan

How's you doin dudette ?

JACCCCKKKKKKIIIEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! Doing good sista!!!!! Great to see you getting back into the swing of things.

Hey Squisheeeeeeeeee LOL. having a real life sux sometimes, i'm hoping that in the next couple of months i'll have nothing else to do in my spare time and concerntrate on the airbrushing, hence the 'stock take' of supplies.

- you dont have relatives down Kent way do you ?? if you do we really could be bruva's from another muva :)

Last edited:
Back