I think I found the perfect beginner paint--

Leakyvalve

Mac-Valve Maestro!
I bought some of this at an auction a few years ago. While doing some organizing I found the box these were in. Decided to test them out just to see. HOLY COW!!!

Blick Liquid Watercolors | BLICK Art Materials (dickblick.com)

They have EVERY positive thing a beginner would need from a paint.
1. SUPER CHEAP
2. Straight from bottle
3 ZERO and I mean ZERO tip dry
4 truly water only cleanup.

Downside
These ARE NOT intended for permanent artwork. They are dye based and will/can fade, according to the label.
If a beginner wants something that will give them zero problems and they can concentrate on only learning the airbrush and it won't fight y0u during cleaning, won't clog your nozzle.. this is the ticket guys.

This was some quick test stuff. I didn't have to clean my nozzle at all from beginning to end. It was as clean as when I started. Eclipse SB@20psi. Normal copy paper. Violet and BLUE
20210409_145339.jpg

Liquid watercolour is very nice to spray. I agree it is great for beginners. I've worked with the Vallejo and Schmincke ones. Vallejo is also dye based but Schmincke is pigment based.

Liquid watercolour is very nice to spray. I agree it is great for beginners. I've worked with the Vallejo and Schmincke ones. Vallejo is also dye based but Schmincke is pigment based.

Did a bit of searching and they even say the dye based stuff is just not UV compatible. I did see that a couple other companies sell the exact same thing. Must be a bunch or re-labeled versions of the Blick stuff out there.

Last edited:
Here is another lightfast test I did. The highlighted area was exposed to sunlight for 6 months. No clear or varnishes over it.
faa7574cc4706aafd87f6a265dc2e4cc.jpg

Back