I want to know more about how to use colorshifting as a benefit

M

maffie

hello everyone,

For asking This question I was inspired by this topic And by the video of airbrushtutor "Denise" (her hair):
http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/some-practice-on-layering-color-and-texture.4375/#post-58205

I really like to learn more about this colorshifting, Because I really love the effect of depth createx with it.
When do/can you apply that technique? Does some one has some examples?

I'm searching on internet for more information, but I find it hard to find. Is there maybe another name people call this?

Dru Blair has some great stuff on that, sign up to his newsletter. Airbrushtutor has some good tutorials on using opaque and transparent paints. Experiance is also a great teacher. If you can get to a training course that is really helpful. If not, I can also recommend the airbrushtutor eye, cat and German tutorials he does. The video one is good as well but that is B&W. It's worth the cash spent and time put into it. Then practice. Check out the SBS that musicmacd does, you can see him using that there. Haasje also has some good stuff.

You won't find a heck of a lot on color shifting in Airbrush, its a very complex method to describe and not all shift is intentional but a happy accident..Sometimes a sad one. Understanding transparents helps but it depends on the type of shift you mean, true color shift is what we see when the color we spray with reacts at its edges (as the spray is more minimal in coverage) and what that color is based in or how it reacts to color around it in this minmal state can come through, for this it really helps to understand how paint itself works, how the pigmentation can help or hinder..Thats in the area though of opaque paints generally and color shift for most is a bad thing and generally occurs when you put a light on a dark, especially in black as most black is based in blue so when it meets white of that blue comes through. Or more likely you mean transparent overlay but many call it different things..Its much easier to subtly change an opaque base color using a transparent wash of paint over it, this is one of the standard methods of producing realistic work but again really helps to understand your paint, for example you may build a base tone say from a mix of opaque skin tones, a light, medium and dark basically..You can then use transparent reds, oranges, purples, greens or whatever the ref requires to introduce color into the shading, similar with darker transparents you can bring more life to a shadow area, but to actually explain the process is no easy feat and would take pages on pages or numerous video's, the easiest way often is to experiment at your board and understand opaque and transparents, their differences, strengths etc..

Also look into some realistic acrylic work and the thousands of How to books and videos already existing in the general art world..everything the airbrush can do is basically a translated methd from other art avenues so understanding or seeing similar done say in acrylic or oils or watercolor is essentially the methods we use. We at times just call it something different. Best of luck.

As above, shifting can mean very different things, i think you may be referring to subtle shifting of hue? Using transparants and the colour wheel maybe.
It also has to do with what colour pigments were used to make the paints

Like @musicmacd says, there are a different interpretations of the term.

The good one is to use transparent paints. The colour below affects the colour you lay over. You need to know your colours for that.
The bad one is when you use white and you get blue. You really need to know your colours for that.

Back