I wish I could just paint...

S

Squidge

Ok guys and gals, I've managed to find a little more time to paint. Alas, I begin and end with nothing but problems. I'm using an Iwata Neo gravity feed on plain poster board. Last night, I took the nozzle cap assembly and the nozzle off to let them soak. After I put them back on, I noticed the nozzle cap has started to leak air. I tried to fix it by putting some lube around it, and then some tape that you seal metal pipes with. After doing this, it only made bubbles appear in the paint cup so I took it off. As I was about halfway done with a painting I was getting excited about, this crap started happening:
0221142358.jpg
If you look in the purple around the blue planet, you'll see what looks like pretty cool texturing. However, it shouldn't be there and looks awful. I know the picture quality is bad but an old cell phone is all I have to take pictures with. I think water might be getting into the paint somehow but it's never done this before and I've painted quite a bit with it. I don't clean it thoroughly every night because it's usually 2 am when I get done and I have to get up early, but I do try to run cleaner through it and let it soak every second or third time I use it and I always give it a good rinse when I change colors and at the end of the night

Ok guys and gals, I've managed to find a little more time to paint. Alas, I begin and end with nothing but problems. I'm using an Iwata Neo gravity feed on plain poster board. Last night, I took the nozzle cap assembly and the nozzle off to let them soak. After I put them back on, I noticed the nozzle cap has started to leak air. I tried to fix it by putting some lube around it, and then some tape that you seal metal pipes with. After doing this, it only made bubbles appear in the paint cup so I took it off. As I was about halfway done with a painting I was getting excited about, this crap started happening:
View attachment 26501
If you look in the purple around the blue planet, you'll see what looks like pretty cool texturing. However, it shouldn't be there and looks awful. I know the picture quality is bad but an old cell phone is all I have to take pictures with. I think water might be getting into the paint somehow but it's never done this before and I've painted quite a bit with it. I don't clean it thoroughly every night because it's usually 2 am when I get done and I have to get up early, but I do try to run cleaner through it and let it soak every second or third time I use it and I always give it a good rinse when I change colors and at the end of the night

Bees wax is you answer. teflon tape aka pipe tape is too thick and can move and shift when screwing the piece together which can cause the nozzle to shift as well.
bees wax you just run around the threads and screw it together , Been using this for years now.

I've heard a bit of lip salve can do the job too. I use non-hardening airbrush metal thread sealant.
Cheers Mel

Thanks guys, airbrushing is so frustrating when things go wrong. Can I use regular wax instead of beeswax? The only beeswax they had at hobby lobby was 15 bucks for a brick and I only need a thumbnail full I would imagine. Also, is lip salve like chapstick?

Yer chapstick and lip salve pretty much the same, vaseline will also work as a temp fix. I wouldnt use normal wax, to messy and will just crack away or push out of the thread, ya want something that's stays soft is possible, but has a little firmness..After awhile the thread will just naturally leak through it being on and off all the time, the threads wear slightly, nature of the beast with metal...

Alright cool. I'll give it a shot when I have more energy to paint. I'm just not feeling it tonight. So is it safe to assume that those random spots in my paint are coming from the leaking air?

The Neo has a tiny black O-ring on the nozzle. Soaking could make it swell. When installed, the O-ring should be completely hidden inside the body of the airbrush, and the nozzle flush to the body. If the O-ring is damaged, it could allow an air leak back into the cup and cause bubbles. Have a look at this page.

Don

very cool tip micron, I've also had nozzle air leaks and used the ptfe tape on the nozzle threads, is a sod to work with very delicate but it can be done with care. The bees wax sounds so much simpler , much thanks for that one.....

If you're having trouble getting beeswax from your local craft store you might try
your local surf shop.

I know this is an older thread but they sell small clumps of bees wax in fabric stores, usually in the quilting section. It is used to wax thread. Love this forum!!!

If you are a hunter, you could use a smidge of bow string wax in a pinch. It is a tad stiffer than lip balm but would not recommend regular use.

In a former life I was a sailmaker and used beeswax on the sowing thread, if you have anyone in your area who is sailmaking, uppholstering, cobbling or the like they will let you have a small lump.
Failing that send me a PM, I can send you a small lump.

wax ring for seating a toilet. found at your local hardware.. for $4 you will have enough to go into the next century maybe even the end of life as we know it

Back