idea for a bright sunrise?

T

taz.24

Hi All,
I need a bit of help..
I'm trying to do a scene with a really bright sunrise low to the horizon, but I cant seam to get it so that it looks REALLY bright.
The ref pic shows it as white with a touch of yellow as it touches the clouds. but I cant find away to simulate it.
Any Ideas?

You want to post a picture so we can see what you mean mate?

This is a very difficult picture to paint .... there is a lot of colours in it and very complicated.
If you are new or newish to airbrushing I would suggest you find a less difficult reference picture TBO
If you are trying to get the same effect I think if I were to attempt this I would do the clouds leaving the part where the sun is blank (I don't think masking will work because you need the soft edges).
I would then dust over the sun very lightly with a transparent yellow.
Good luck with this one mate.

Thanks for your help, I understand what you mean about the soft edges..
I'll give it ago...
If I manage it I'll post the pic..

Your first problem is that you are automatically thinking "how do I paint that" when you should be thinking "how do I not paint that, If I was going to attempt this, I would start by painting everything around the sun including it's reflection on the water next to the sand, because of the extreme soft edges around the bright parts I would shield as much as I could with my hand to keep the white areas preserved rather than masking or frisket which leave hard edges difficult to hide.

The waves effect could easily be achieved by spraying along a piece of randomly torn printer paper moving it from side to side as you go, the rays can simply be erased out and add the rainbow colours afterwards, I'd finish off by going around the edge of sun shapes with an over reduced transparent yellow and then I'm done and onto the next piece, lol

It's mine now, I've just copied it to my hard drive and I'm going to use for my Paint Pal because I'm a tight arsed thieving robbing Scottish twat, send the police and see if I care, ha ha ha ha ha ha
Many a true word is said in jest! Say no more :p

Yes , I took the Pic. Early one morning...
I have a couple more like it, as the sun was coming up.

Thanks Madbrush for your advise . I'm only using the sun & sky effect from the Photo, I have a mermaid sitting on a rock in the for ground..

Thanks Madbrush for your advise . I'm only using the sun & sky effect from the Photo, I have a mermaid sitting on a rock in the for ground..

We have sun here too, it just doesn't look as nice coming over block of flats that look like a bomb hit them and I can only guess the sky is darker because of the nuclear power on the other side of our street, but apart form that the view is almost the same,:)

LOL @Madbrush but just wanted to say great job on getting your own reference but a good place to start would be move the horizon. You want the horizon on the lower third way up the painting. Your focal point is the sun which in your photo falls right were you want it. In the center is not ideal. Remember this is art so your painting does not and should not be a replica of your reference in this case your photo. Add a sail boat use the picture so you know what the details are and what they look like with that light source. Contrast is what will make that sun bright you don't need to exactly match a certain color but you need to give that effect so the viewer sees a bright sun. Dull out some blueish purple for those clouds you could try to add some whitish grey to lighten and muddy it up or ever after you spray the clouds go over it with a wash of white to dull it. But it will contrast the yellow and cause it to pop.

Back