Illustration colors, 4020 + 4012 = ??

Amra

Needle-chuck Ninja
On the website for Createx Paint under the reducers section for Illustration colors, it says:
  • Mix (4020 reducer) direct with Illustration Colors or mix with 4012 High Performance Reducer for create a balanced mix of solvents in the reducer so colors flow & dry fast yet do not seed in the cup. Recommended starting mix is 4012 3:1 4020 Automotive Reducer (25% 4020 per volume).
  • Reduced with 4020, Illustration Colors “melt in” for exceptionally soft highlights and smooth color transitions without a grainy, “over-spray” appearance.
I am surely revealing my ignorance, but I have a couple questions.

First, has anyone tried 4020 with Illustration colors? If so, how did you like it? How did it perform compared to just 4012? Second, has anyone ever tried mixing 4020 with 4012? If so, What is the benefit of this, and how did it perform compared to either of those products individually?

Also, what do they mean by "seed in the cup"? (does this mean when the pigments clump together?)

Lastly, what do they mean by "melt in"?

These are probably super simple questions that anyone can answer, but I couldn't seem to find an answer, so was hoping I didn't look too stupid asking the people here if they could point me in the right direction.

I've tried the illustration black before, but I was using 4012 reducer only with it, and it had a very grainy look after being sprayed, does the 4020 prevent this?

Thanks for any information you can provide! Sorry if these are really dumb questions!! LOL

4020 has acetone in it , So it mainly does just that melts the paint into the reducer.
I have used it with Candy O2 , Wicked , and illustration and I wear a proper spray mask .
Seeding is when you see grains start to form in the paint which means the paint is broken down to far. At least that is the way it was explained to me.

Back