Illustration Transparent Base replacement (with 4004)

Alex

Double Actioner
Hi guys. I'm about to order Illustration color wheel set, but the supplier doesn't have 5090 (Illustration Transparent Base). Can I use 4004 as the transparent base? Or do I even need it? (considering that this set is already transparent paints). Perhaps a little bit of reducer(4012) can be used to make it more transparent ?

as far as I know the colour wheel set includes the 5090 + 4011.
reducer reduces the viscosity of the paint, the trans base spreads out the pigment load. if you use too much reducer you paint will be too thin to perform effectively.
you can use 4004 if you have no other choice, but just ask your supplier to order in the 5090

as far as I know the colour wheel set includes the 5090 + 4011.
reducer reduces the viscosity of the paint, the trans base spreads out the pigment load. if you use too much reducer you paint will be too thin to perform effectively.
you can use 4004 if you have no other choice, but just ask your supplier to order in the 5090

Thanks! I've also heard that 4030 can be used to make the paint more transparent, but it affects curing time

4030 will make your paint behave like a urethane and it will cure hard. I won’t buy 4030 anymore, ive had to bin 2 x 16oz unopened bottles because it hardened in the bottle.
always research a product and use it for its intended purpose, especially at the beginning of your airbrush journey.
Transparent base /reducer/mix additive all have their uses but you need to make sure you’re using them as the manufacturer intends.

4030 will make your paint behave like a urethane and it will cure hard. I won’t buy 4030 anymore, ive had to bin 2 x 16oz unopened bottles because it hardened in the bottle.
always research a product and use it for its intended purpose, especially at the beginning of your airbrush journey.
Transparent base /reducer/mix additive all have their uses but you need to make sure you’re using them as the manufacturer intends.
Slightly off topic, but your reply reminded me of a video I recently watched regarding potential issues with some Createx products. Not bashing Createx in any way, but it's good to stay informed about stuff like this.

Slightly off topic, but your reply reminded me of a video I recently watched regarding potential issues with some Createx products. Not bashing Createx in any way, but it's good to stay informed about stuff like this.
Thanks for posting that one up Karl, I did see his other video where he mentioned the hardened bottles of 4030 that he had. that's what made me check my larger bottles. I knew that exposure to air could cause issues so I had plans of decanting from the large bottle to a smaller one to minimise the time to air exposure. obviously never got that far, I had just about finished my smaller bottle and would have decanted some fresh product in the next month or so. both of my bottles still had the factory seal, neither bottle had been subjected to freezing while in my hands. both were kept in a wooden set of drawers (as were all my paints/airbrush liquid) out in the garage where the ambient temp could certainly get up to 40C but never any direct light and I hope the wooden drawers offered some sort of insulation.

I will no longer purchase any large size of reducer/additive etc that I am not going to use within a few months. I don't enjoy seeing the equivalent of $100 go in the bin.

I guess think of it like gasoline, at least here in the US. Any decent small engine mechanic will tell you not to buy more than you can use in 30-60 days. After that, it could go bad on you. No one wants to throw money away.

All of the above is my experience too. About 3 months ago I bought the first bottle of 4030 I’d bought for a while and touch wood this one has been perfectly stable. Granted I have kept it in the bottle and then kept the bottle in an airtight container. But apparently the issue was remedied not too long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back