I'm a beginner...

Johnny

Double Actioner
...that would like to get started by assembling and painting inexpensive models.

Would someone please recommend a good glossy paint that will not break the bank. I don't mind thinning, if it saves money.

Thanks - John

There are a few things you don't want to skimp on... paint is one of them. Having said that, get a good quality transparent black and you can start easily enough.

Createx illustration, Golden high Flow, plenty of them out there. A small amount goes a loooooooong way so don't get too worried about the cost of a small amount.

Reduction of paints is only for getting the flow rate right, not saving money! :)

There are a few things you don't want to skimp on... paint is one of them. Having said that, get a good quality transparent black and you can start easily enough.

Createx illustration, Golden high Flow, plenty of them out there. A small amount goes a loooooooong way so don't get too worried about the cost of a small amount.

Reduction of paints is only for getting the flow rate right, not saving money! :)

Thanks Mark - The ads for Createx illustration say it's a Matt finish and Golden high Flow doesn't say at all.

John

I think Mark might have missed the Model aspect in his response ;). If you are looking for water base, you may consider Mission Models. I have also seen some really nice finishes laid down with Tamiya colors. You can also look for something that will lay down easily for coverage, and then gloss clear top coat

like DaveG, my suggestion would be a good clear coat. Mission model paints are quickly gaining in popularity
enamels would give you a good gloss, available in small pots but then you'd need thinners, so a good mask is almost mandatory !

I think Mark might have missed the Model aspect in his response ;). If you are looking for water base, you may consider Mission Models. I have also seen some really nice finishes laid down with Tamiya colors. You can also look for something that will lay down easily for coverage, and then gloss clear top coat
Clear coat = as much gloss as you can handle... :)

like DaveG, my suggestion would be a good clear coat. Mission model paints are quickly gaining in popularity
enamels would give you a good gloss, available in small pots but then you'd need thinners, so a good mask is almost mandatory !
And you would have to take care with pigment size... not sure how many enamels are airbrush friendly.

be careful, I can only see references to paint brushes and palette knives, it may not flow through an airbrush with a nozzle less than .5

I understand Jack. I'll make doubly sure it's thinned properly. Thank you

John

Back