For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Im about to give up.

Discussion in 'Beginners Airbrush Questions!' started by Illsley, Sep 9, 2019.

1. musicmacd

musicmacd The Createx Bandit Very Likeable!

Thanks J :)
    jord001, SiRoxx and JackEb like this.
  2. musicmacd

musicmacd The Createx Bandit Very Likeable!

If you’re correct, cheap anything generally leads pain, even the good stuff is painful at times!
    I sprayed the Valejo primers through my eclipse .35 no issues I don’t remember thinning them much either
    jord001 likes this.
  3. Illsley

Illsley Double Actioner

Hi, thanks for your reply, naw you wasn't rude, just to the point. I have a small tank compressor

[​IMG]

that broke yes and I stupidly bought a cheap little crap compressor and your right it was a waste of money.... lesson learnt, wont happen again. I then repaired my old compressor and now works and gives me regulated pressure , but gets very hot. If i use Vallejo primer I get very bad results, which after looking at the comments could either be a psi issue or I need to thin it. this also leads me to Vallejo Air paints, much the same as the primer where I get bad results, but I thought they were OK straight from the bottle.

I know I have a lot to learn and I'm getting frustrated as I have been through so many settings and thinning but cant get this right (so many spoons).
    I can put water through my airbrush without a problem. Also suffering from dry tip really badly (on the occasions it sort of works) and I have to wipe/pinch the needle say every part or every re-press of the trigger.

I do have a few questions

1. How often should you drain the tank on these types of compressor?

2. How do you reduce Vallejo Polyurethane Primer?

3. Do you think that I should spray primer @ over 35 psi?

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to answer me and I'm trying my hardest to heed your advice

I'm sadly not in a position to by able to buy a new Compressor at the moment, my finances just wont allow it, and I'm part way through a model build which is why I am getting frustrated.

Thanks all again
    jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  4. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

As mentioned, spraying water will be a simple way to get a better idea of what is going on. If the airbrush sprays water, but not paint the paint mixture is simply too thick. It’s often helpful if your able to video a short clip of what you’re doing with the mixing and the airbrush. We may be able to spot something that would save a lot of questions back and forth.
    Just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Than and jord001 like this.
  5. SiRoxx

At this point I wouldn’t worry too much about the compressor and concentrate more on thinning the paint. Being “ready to spray” just is not the case for everybody. Createx Illustration is a paint that some people will spray straight from the bottle. I’ve found I need to reduce it around 5 drops reducer to 1 drop of paint to get it to work for me. There is no 1 magic paint ratio unfortunately, but the video I posted explains things a lot better than I can.
    If you’re not getting paint out the brush, then start with 1 drop of paint and 10 drops of reducer around 30psi. This will likely be too high a pressure for paint that thin and will make for a washy type finish. But it would at least get paint flowing from your brush. Then you can adjust things from there as per the video.

jord001 and huskystafford like this.
  6. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I really have to agree with every bit of advice you have received, in both of your threads. There is no, "use this much reducer to this much paint" answer....We can you a basic start point, but that is about all. The same has to be said about air settings. And what works one day, might not work the next. Or in an hour or two...lol...
    Since your budget is shot, mix your paint according to what your compressor puts out. My advice to you is just start mixing and spraying on something as a test . Try to find something close to what you intend to paint.
    I was very frustrated when i first started, but with patience and help from here, has brought my experience to so many greater levels.
    Good luck
  7. Illsley

Illsley Double Actioner

Hi guys, i have watched the suggested tutorials and have a better understanding. I belive its a ratio thing now. I was too quick to blame the compressor. I am going to take a day and do some experiments as per the tutorials.

Thank you all so much for your patients.

I will post my findings (I dont have time as work commitments but im having friday off so i can play then)

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
  8. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Very Likeable!

If you watched all the videos which we gave you long time ago today and not when we gave them this is for you:

[​IMG]

:D
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    SiRoxx, JackEb, twood and 1 other person like this.
  9. Illsley

Illsley Double Actioner

Lol i kinda deserve that! I watched the ones suggested in this thread and it has helped alot.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    jord001, SiRoxx and huskystafford like this.
  10. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Very Likeable!

[​IMG]

lol
    jord001, Mr.Micron and Illsley like this.
  11. SiRoxx

That’s great! I hope they have put you on the right track. Honestly, reducing paint and getting good flow is not easy. Some days it seems impossible lol. I’m about 2 years into learning and today has been a real battle with the paint. But experience has taught me that it’ll probably be better tomorrow, for no discernible reason.

jord001 likes this.
  12. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Not just paint or equipment but process as well. I've learned that sometimes you just should not be in the studio. I don't temp fate. Sometimes it is just not worth it.
    JackEb, jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  13. SiRoxx

You’re absolutely right Andre, process shouldn’t be forgotten either.

jord001 likes this.
  14. Visual Realm

Visual Realm Skull King Very Likeable!

Airbrushing is just a puzzle that needs figuring out when you start out. We all go through it! Its all one big formula, but once you figure that formula out its smooth sailing. Just work through each level of the process to where you can just focus on painting your piece. Keep at it and dont give up cause you will love it once your dialed in! Good luck!
    JackEb, SiRoxx, Illsley and 2 others like this.
  15. Ttxela

Ttxela Triple Actioner

I have pretty much that same compressor that I bought for airbrushing when I'm out and about in the van. I noticed it works a lot harder than the much larger workshop compressor I use back at home and I'm not sure the guage is very accurate as I seemed to have to set it about 10psi higher than I use at home to get similar results. The valve head did get too hot to touch at times but I took that as a sign that it was time for tea and a bun. All in all I found it quite good for the money. I wasn't spraying primer with it though.