I'm doing something wrong, but what?

Where on the globe are you? It might be time to test the brushes with other hands, or send them in for a service.

Is it not odd that it starts spraying good, skips a few times and then flow completely stops? I could see that if I had bad paint or chunks being spit through. This is with brand new paint and after soaking the nozzle for over two hours in restorer and cleaning it at least three times during that process.

If its not your paint and it's not a dirty nozzle or needle, three pretty far out but perfectly possible things spring to mind.

1). It's possible that your needle packing seal is disintegrating and causing your problem, or

2). Maybe chrome particles coming loose from inside the cup blocking things up, or

3). Crap is being delivered along with your air.

I would recommend you send it away for a service.

Have you checked to see if the air channel through the airbrush is clean? And what colour is your water when you drain your compressor,

Do you have a water trap of some sort in your air delivery system?
It's absolutely essential that clean, dry air if being fed to your brush.
If not, it's going to give you all manner of grief in a very short while.
Some of which you've already described.
Get yourself some magnifying gear and inspect the nozzle, needle packing seal and also air outlet holes.
Make sure they're round, unclogged and clean.

Ah, the air compressor water is nasty. I probably should get something on there besides just the regulator water trap (which has never had any water in it BTW). Recommendations for what to put inline at the output of the compressor?

That said, I tried my little portable AB compressor and the same thing happened.

60X loupe ordered :)

Not sure I did check the air channel. Not closely at least.

You guys are awesome, thanks for the guidance, I appreciate it a lot! I've got a couple of new things to explore now while I wait for my loupe.

Last edited:
Funny thing just happened to me....I was spraying and it was fine, then it would stop.....blast it and it would spray fine then stop....
I checked my gun and the cap had backed off...became loose. I retightened it and it was ok again. Just a thought for you....maybe its the air cap...

Would something like this do the job http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4-in-Air-Compressor-Filter-HDA70403AV/100027474?cm_mmc=SEM|G|BT3|PLA&gclid=CjwKEAjw4s2wBRDSnr2jwZenlkgSJABvFcwQioUlkD50QCc4uHAl0mg-Ga3AhMcsoEggL4xHgElhAxoCV1zw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

My other AB's do fine but it can't hurt to have something like this inline. Maybe it's just the small particles.
Wouldnt hurt. I have a water trap regulator combo i use. So my setup is regulator at compressor set to 90 hose regulator and air filter set to whatever im working at the time and 6foot airbrush hose. Its likely not as good as a mac valve but its always at arms reach

Wouldnt hurt. I have a water trap regulator combo i use. So my setup is regulator at compressor set to 90 hose regulator and air filter set to whatever im working at the time and 6foot airbrush hose. Its likely not as good as a mac valve but its always at arms reach
Allowing the air to cool before the moisture trap helps. Mine does fill up.

Ah, the air compressor water is nasty. I probably should get something on there besides just the regulator water trap (which has never had any water in it BTW). Recommendations for what to put inline at the output of the compressor?

That said, I tried my little portable AB compressor and the same thing happened.

60X loupe ordered :)

Not sure I did check the air channel. Not closely at least.

You guys are awesome, thanks for the guidance, I appreciate it a lot! I've got a couple of new things to explore now while I wait for my loupe.

If your compressors tank is filthy it sends particles to your brush, it does this obviously via the hose which means the hose is also filthy, this means that when you switched compressors, switching hoses would also have been wise;)

If your compressors tank is filthy it sends particles to your brush, it does this obviously via the hose which means the hose is also filthy, this means that when you switched compressors, switching hoses would also have been wise;)

I actually did. The little portable one has it's own junky curly hose that has a quick release adapter. I just popped my brush into the other hose/compressor setup. You're right though, if not it'd of been the same thing. I honestly didn't even think of that but by coincidence avoided the potential problem. The bummer is now I drained my tank just to see what came out and the drain valve is shot, so no big compressor :(. When I get the filter I'll set up a ball valve with extension so I can drain it easier (ie. after every use).

Allowing the air to cool before the moisture trap helps. Mine does fill up.

I have 25 feet of hose wrapping around the garage from the compressor to the airbrush regulator/moisture trap so that should be plenty. I live in a very cold climate though so I'm not sure how that affects condensation. I have yet to see any moisture in that trap. You do have me wondering though about the hose and filter placement. I was going to put it at the compressor outlet but probably a better place for it will be right before the inlet to the AB regulator/moisture trap.

Last edited:
Back