I'm full of Q's!

Dimitris

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hi again fellows! :D

I've got a potential client :D who wants exactly this design on his boat.

new-250-hp-evinrude-etec-outboard-motor_448249.jpg

My main and first question is how do I proceed to make that red sharp shadow beneath the evinrude? Heeeeeeeelp! lollol:D

The answer is more masking, you ideally need a vinyl cutter for this as it would make doing the lettering and flags so much easier.

Lee

I got a vinyl cutter @jord001 , the silhouette. My plan, if I'm right, is to create theflag first and then proceed rot the lettering. I assume by your answer that I'll need to cut a two-layer for it, but have no idea how to proceed on that

Easy way is to keep the positive and negative of the stencil. Transfer the positive on to masking tape. Transfer those to the surface. Now put the negative over them offset and spray your red.

I got a vinyl cutter @jord001 , the silhouette. My plan, if I'm right, is to create theflag first and then proceed rot the lettering. I assume by your answer that I'll need to cut a two-layer for it, but have no idea how to proceed on that

Definitely, the flag to be the first, then lettering.
Cut the word twice, paint red, then move aside a bit with new stencil and paint white.
First stencil must be removed.

I havent a clue really Dimitris, but i would cut it and peel off as needed and probably re position the mask to cover the paintwork that needs protecting.

Lee

I'll keep in mind all the things robby, vladimir and you jord said and I'll try some more thinking tomorrow. One thing that bothers me is that in some letters, the red shadow of the previous letter connects with the next one. Anyway off to bed now, I'll definetely need your help tomorrow, thanks guys.

You're full of Q' s - I'm full of :poo: lollollol

These guys got you covered. Get a stencil cut, then use transfer tape to place it accurately, makes it easier to get things lined up precisely.

Ok I slapped this together real quick w printer paper so lots of underspray. I didn't even let the paint dry before I did step two so it's just enough to look at and be like oh I see. I used @Vladimir 's method bc it's gonna be simpler and easier to spray clean lines.

Sprayed white first, so the red would show up over the black, then red. Just as normal lettering.
IMG_20181009_232135.jpg

Last edited:
Here's more detailed plan what I would do:)

It's about "EVINRUDE" wording.
1. cut two stencils
2. lay the stencils down
3. spray extremely light mist coats of white as underpainting for red colour. Without the underpainting your red will look dull. Lay down dry coats. Don't go to the edges of the stencil much.
4. spray your red also in light coats just to get required saturation, don't go in thick layers
5. remove the stencil almost immediately so the paint wouldn't give your high edges, as you need to stick new stencil over your red layer
6. stick new stencils moving it to 3rd quarter lightly just as on your reference
7. spray your white

Try to do it on the test panel first to be confident on your actual work piece.

@Robbyrockett2 has given some tips while I was typing my thoughts:) Great minds think alike:D

Because it also has a black shadow around all of it, you may want another stencil made to mask off the red and white parts of the letters together while you spray in that black halo.
Unless you're comfortable just free sheilding for that.

Or you can use the positive letters from the other two and lay them on there for the red and white positions. Carefully make little cuts with a razor where they overlap so you can push them down and not have raised spots where you could underspray where they overlap.

Last edited:
You paint EVERYTHING that is white and red in white. Even the cast shadow around the Evenrude. You mask off all the white and paint everthing that needs to be red. You then cover the red in the name (the white is still covered from the previous step) and open all the white in the stripes and stars and do the soft shadow around the name. Remove masking from name and clear.

I started the procedure based on @AndreZA . Thanks by the way :). Hope everything goes well. I've layed down the basecoat of the project and added 4030 in it just to be sure. I'm thinking to clear coat just the basecoat cause I'm terrified of paint lifting once I'm done with the masking. Here some pics.

xzxzxzxzzzzxxzzx.jpg zxzzxxzxzxzxzxz.jpg

You don't want to clear the base alone....it's asking for more issues.
Tape test it...if it fails now...it would fail later. you won't have wasted too much time doing graphics on something that's doomed

Back