I'm Pascal

Welcome to the forum Pascal, We have a great family of artists here, at all skill levels and experience. Have you looked at any equipment yet?

Lee

welcome to this forum Pascal you will find a lot off useful info on here and feel free to ask for any help you need

Thankt you for the nice welcome.

@jord001 No, for airbrushing I'm an absolute beginner. I even never seen a real airbrush in real life.
The techniques I used so far are for traditional drawing: pencil and pen/ink and for digital drawing the Wacom Intuos and cintiq drawing tablets.
I still use these techniques often. Traditional drawing mostly for cartoons/comics and digital for realistic drawing.
For realistic drawing I also try to combine traditional with digital.

Sometimes I also like to try something new. Between 2015 and 2017 I made 3 life size wall drawings with pencil and markers but this has a few problems: it takes an eternity to finish, you can't really create black with pencil and gradients from pencil to markers is very difficult or impossible to do.
At that time I started thinking about using airbrushing. So far I never made the descision because the equipment is more expensive and the learning curve looks difficult (but at the same time it's challenging).

Welcome Pascal, pleased to have you as part of our community. Feel free to ask questions about equipment or anything else. Getting some tips can save a lot of money and frustrations. We’re all here for support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome from the UK Pascal.

Be sure and let the fine folk here know what you'd like to use the airbrush for specifically, and what brush, paints and compressor you are interested in. We can then point you in the right direction with kit that will meet your needs. It can be expensive to get set up, (you don't have to go top of the range from the start, but decent kit will certainly make learning and mastering techniques easier imo), these amazing guys will make sure your money is spent as well as it can be within your budget.

I'm interested in airvrush both for paper as wall drawings too. At the moment I only can work on paper.
I have seen airbrush sets on an online store and that's interesting because then you have something to start with instead of buying in pieces, but the price of the set looks too appealing. I only need something to start with but sometimes cheap can become expensive.
This is the link:
https://www.bol.com/nl/p/crafts-co-...h=qVXWNaCPAUjMT1G5BgVEsA.1_25.26.ProductTitle

That looks like the cheap brush I started with. It worked ok and was an inexpensive way to get a couple months in and know that I wanted to keep going with learning. That’s when I bought an Iwata Eclipse CS which is more expensive, but I couldn’t believe the difference in how nice it was to use. Of course it didn’t make me any better, but the whole process was a little easier. I killed the cheap brush with beginner mistakes while cleaning. But at least I did that to the cheap one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum from China! For your purposes, I'd suggest you skip the cheap airbrushes altogether and buy a "real" airbrush and a compressor with a small tank right away. The starter kits will not make you happy, and the cost of a more professional set up are only marginally higher. It made a big difference for me switching from a lower-end model to an Iwata, for example.

I would personally avoid anything with the word kit, or set in it. The compressors aren't usually for for purpose, and the brushes often poorly made, with inferior materials and are usually easily damaged. (needles and nozzles are delicate anyway, but these are often very soft) The paint they come with may not be best for your purposes.
It's hard to learn when your kit isn't reliable and you don't know if it's the equipment or you that isn't working right. To give yourself the best chance buy well.

I also give my vote to the Iwata hp-cs. Best performing most reliable brush for the money, and an all rounder, versatile - finer than hair line up to 2inch spray pattern. Not as fussy about reduction as finer nozzle brushes, hard wearing parts. And one piece trigger and floating nozzle to make maintaining easier. Learning to keep your nozzle clean is an art in itself and getting it right eliminates 90% of newbie frustrations when it comes to learning. Having that floating nozzle is a godsend, and no threads to over tighten or worry about snapping. And it's performance is spot on. Ideal to learn on, but with its capabilities you won't grow out of it, so a long term investment.

The kits are fine for beginer !!!! A tank is air storage ( to avoid air pulsation...) ( protect your motor life than to work continuously)

Hello Pascal

I too started on a bit of a whim, I bought a very cheap airbrush on eBay after a couple of drinks one night cos it seemed like a good idea, to be fair it was OK to try things out to see if I liked it before investing in more expensive kit but if you do get into it then you'll be replacing it sooner rather than later. My cheap one still works but all the chrome plate has come off it :laugh:

If you have a garage compressor you can connect it to that as long as you have a regulator and moisture trap :thumbsup:

Thank you.
The sets of the 2 last links I placed are not cheap and it comes from an online store specialized in airbrushing.
Isn't that good enough?

Thank you.
The sets of the 2 last links I placed are not cheap and it comes from an online store specialized in airbrushing.
Isn't that good enough?

I'd go for a compressor with a tank if I were you as someone else said. I got myself one of these;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDG-AIRB...292697&hash=item51fcfbcc32:g:lo8AAOSw689Zixut
I've been using it for a year or so now, you wouldn't want to spray big areas continuously with it but for painting picture where you stop, change colours, check references etc. and it gets little breaks I find it works well. I reckon you might quickly outgrow the tankless ones in your links although admittedly I haven't tried using one.

I'd go for a compressor with a tank if I were you as someone else said. I got myself one of these;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDG-AIRB...292697&hash=item51fcfbcc32:g:lo8AAOSw689Zixut
I've been using it for a year or so now, you wouldn't want to spray big areas continuously with it but for painting picture where you stop, change colours, check references etc. and it gets little breaks I find it works well. I reckon you might quickly outgrow the tankless ones in your links although admittedly I haven't tried using one.
I got the same one; they’re pretty good. Will last you at least 1 - 2 years, if not longer. For fine art you will want a tank or you won’t be able to get fine gradients and fine ljnes.

Back