I'm Pascal

I got the same one; they’re pretty good. Will last you at least 1 - 2 years, if not longer. For fine art you will want a tank or you won’t be able to get fine gradients and fine ljnes.

Well I wouldn't know about fine art - but it makes random splodges of colour in roughly recognisable shapes a little easier too :laugh::D

I don’t understand the working of a compressor and his tank. I have to read more about that.
So far I understand that a tank is important to avoid air pulsation, to get better gradients and to work in detail…
Maybe I can expand the set with this tank:
https://www.airbrushwinkel.nl/index...l_&action=article&group_id=41&aid=855&lang=nl

Well, that looks like it could work but it seems like a complication you don't need when starting out. Honestly I'd just buy a little compressor with a tank built in.

You need a consistent flow of air to make paint flow consistently. Without that you will not have the control you need for various techniques. Without a tank the compressor will pulse air, so no consistency. Also without a tank the compressor will need to run continuously meaning it will soon overheat, and for safety stop working. The motor will burn out quicker.

You need a compressor, with a tank, and one that is big enough to store enough air so that the compressor is able to keep up with the demand from the airbrush it needs enough cubic feet per minute or cfm.

Depending on how you are painting and what pressure you need will determine your cfm I would say an average pressure range is between 10psi - 40psi (though could go as low as 5 or for t-shirt artists as high as 60) If you take 40psi as your probable highest pressure then you need somewhere around 23 litre a minute which I believe equals something like 1.5 cfm.

Thank you.
From the store I know that they also can put together a complete set to my needs.
For now I wait because the costs are higher than I first thought. I can't afford it at this moment, but I can save in the mean time.

Hi Pascal, You will be better off with a compressor with a tank. The Sparmax airbrush in those kits you linked should be ok as Sparmax are a good brand. It might be worth getting one of the cheaper tanked compressors from eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airbrush...905923?hash=item3fbafa4e83:g:jAQAAOSwyi5cbpeP

or maybe something like this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Precisio...063594?hash=item340e1cbc2a:g:qR0AAOSwqPFdHaUI

Look on eBay for your country but at least you will have an idea what to look for.

The other alternative is spend the extra and get a top branded silent compressor
Good brand airbrush paint is 10 euro a bottle or less and you only need one colour to practice with.

Lee

Thank you.
I don't have much experience with ebay. Is this new or secondhand?
About how big and heavy are compressors in general?

Welcome from Australia.
You’ve had some great advice so far, but here’s my 2 cents worth.
- A kit will let you discover if you like airbrushing and want to continue
- A kit may last you a few years if you are lucky. A good brush Will last many years if treated right and if you decide airbrushing is not for you then you can sell it. Almost nobody buys a second hand cheap airbrush. a fit for purpose compressor will also be a long term investment, if you are planning on wall art then you would be better if looking at Workshop type compressors- they’re noisy but will last a lifetime if maintained.

the choice is ultimately yours but we will happily help you make an informed choice.

Thank you very much. At the moment I am selling other things and with money I save for the airbrush equipment. So far I have 130 euro :) I will get there.

Thank you.
I don't have much experience with ebay. Is this new or secondhand?
About how big and heavy are compressors in general?

Those compressors are new, the small one is only about 3 kg at a guess as its been a long time since I picked one up. I'm sure someone will have one and could give it a quick plop on some scales.. I can't say about the other one, im guessing 5-7kg due to the extra piston on the motor and a 9L tank compared to 3L tank Still not mega heavy but not lightweight. Even so can be easily moved around.

And you mentioned the reason for a tank . Yes it helps with pulsation but it also reduces the wear on your motor as it will only kick in to fill the tank and not run constantly, unless your using a Spray gun or air tool which needs a higher volume of air to run. In that case it will keep the motor running.

IF you decide that airbrushing isn't for you, Having better equipment will have a better resale value. BUT hopefully you will love it and stay part of our great Airbrush Family.

Hope this helps

Lee

IF you decide that airbrushing isn't for you, Having better equipment will have a better resale value. BUT hopefully you will love it and stay part of our great Airbrush Family.

Hope this helps

Lee

I think most get hooked pretty quickly, it took me about an hour to know I was going to keep going and with your art background in art Pascal you’ll only be learning a new tool, many of us had to learn how to do art AND a new tool, yes it’s a learning curve but you’re already ahead of most here.... you can already draw

and we’re all here to help you on your journey

Thank you.
For buying an airbrush, I prefer a (web)store over ebay because it's more clear who you are dealing with and on a specialized website you also have more information...

Hello I have another questions about airbrushing:
- Can you use lighter colors over darker colors or is it like painting that you have to start with light colors first.
I bought a simple set of goache paint to experiment with painting, but it was much harder than I thought. Especially because I'm used to digital drawing.
Is airbrushing easier or harder than painting?

I can't say airbrushing is harder than painting, they both have their quirks and so their own learning curves. It all depends on what paints your using as to how easy it is to paint light over dark. Opaque's should do this without too much hassle however it may take more paint to cover. Not had experience with gouache so cant answer that one. Airbrushing compared to brush painting is different, you may have better success with the light over dark with an airbrush as it lays light layers more likely to cover over several layers. Remember the more layers means thicker paint which can sometimes be detrimental.

Lee

Thank you.
It's the learning curve that holds me back a little bit to start.
Also changing colors seems to be a little bit a problem for me. When I work digital, I don't have to worry much about that, I change colors constantly, but with gouache it's more difficult. I will have to experiment more with it to learn it.

Hi,
Apologies for the super long delay. I had to move and build a lot of furniture which took time.
I talked with the owner of a drawing store who also teached airbrushing. But they told they once had a incident with paint that colored the entire store.
Can this happen with airbrushing? Is there a risk that the paint blows out so hard that it goes in every direction?

Hi,
Apologies for the super long delay. I had to move and build a lot of furniture which took time.
I talked with the owner of a drawing store who also teached airbrushing. But they told they once had a incident with paint that colored the entire store.
Can this happen with airbrushing? Is there a risk that the paint blows out so hard that it goes in every direction?
Yes it’s possible.
Enough to cover an ‘entire store’ - I doubt a ‘C’ cup full of paint exploding out of a lidded cup would cover more than a few square feet.. even then it would just be splatter and not ‘covered the store’

Back