Improving The Airbrush...

Don't forget, all of the parts pictured were actually produced by the same facility - even though branded across different lines.

My first 2 200B's had nozzles that looked a bit more convex coming off the base, but the rest have all been concave, and I would say the same as the MP/SP 200.

For me, testing across a broad range of the available parts - I have every Micorn combination produced, and a few "Miron like" candidates - what I see is that the Olympos style set up produces the finest atomization, or grain to the spray, while the larger nozzle, short taper of the Iwata style Micron produces the cleanest edges, and smallest details with less tip dry as a bonus.

I am working with not just nozzle size, or air cap size, but the relationship between them... and then the needle.
And I'm waiting with great anxiety your tests results!!![emoji847]

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Don't forget, all of the parts pictured were actually produced by the same facility - even though branded across different lines.

I always remember this;)

For me, testing across a broad range of the available parts - I have every Micorn combination produced, and a few "Miron like" candidates - what I see is that the Olympos style set up produces the finest atomization, or grain to the spray, while the larger nozzle, short taper of the Iwata style Micron produces the cleanest edges, and smallest details with less tip dry as a bonus.

I see.
All micron combinations and candidates have the same style air cap with one, as I think, big mistake.

My goal is to get those cleanest edges possible for the smallest details possible that can be done with an AB. It's what AB manufacturers have not reached yet. Detail airbrush must be the best.

Airbrushes for not detail works are widely spread, there's no big reason to improve them much. I already have improved chinese ABs with the results equal or above mid range japanese. Someone might say: what for to improve chinese? The answer is: equal or better performance for less cash. Besides, even chinese "microns" can spray like japanese after installing smth, you know that well:)

You're right HP nozzles are good, I was surprised, when I did my first improvements to "C" and 101 about a year ago and was impressed how things went. It was one of the reasons to consider some features from those models and to implement them in the head. BTW, the head base I've improved is not like stock one.

If to talk about the heads like product either, all parties would be more satisfied with the price if non micron nozzles would be used, o,2mm etc
Besides, even 0,3mm nozzle would be good to use in that so called "micron" technology.

I am working with not just nozzle size, or air cap size, but the relationship between them... and then the needle.

With the air cap size we're bound to the material nozzle size.
I'm sure that the most important thing is the air cap, all other things could improve the performance not that much. I already have tried the proofs. I wonder what you'll come up with and what your conclusions will be.
BTW, have you already ordered special custom made tools for your work?

In this case we're talking about the needle is not that important, as I think.

They were two steps close to get HP work like detail AB when they manufactured 200's. If the hole would be less in diameter then, than they would be one step close:) If everything I've got in my mind now would be implemented then, more likely, we wouldn't have to break our minds now how to get that the best possible performance.

And I'm waiting with great anxiety your tests results!!![emoji847]

Me either!

So, in waiting for further AB achievements, let's play some game!

Guess what model was this before the customization?

1.JPG

I have every Micorn combination produced

Just remembered one thing. During some period "Rich Pen" branded ABs had the series of tools using "micron technology" air caps. Among them there were even two side feed models featuring the same body, but different style and volume side cups with 0,2mm and 0,3mm nozzles. Do you have them?

Just remembered one thing. During some period "Rich Pen" branded ABs had the series of tools using "micron technology" air caps. Among them there were even two side feed models featuring the same body, but different style and volume side cups with 0,2mm and 0,3mm nozzles. Do you have them?

No, this would be the first time I am hearing about them. Rich Pen has never been well represented here in the States. I'll keep my eye open for them now, though...

No, this would be the first time I am hearing about them. Rich Pen has never been well represented here in the States. I'll keep my eye open for them now, though...

The series was sold in the US somehow with the price of modern price of HP-SB+(BC+) as I remember. It was then a little bit higher price, than HP series, but not close price to microns.
For decade watching ABs sold on e-bay I'd never seen both models mentioned, so if you'd grab one from there it would be your very big luck.
One model was with the lid and the cup with specific design, not like modern japanese side cups.

I remember that I was given a rich pen with side cup it was a 0.2 and looked the same as my HP SB+ but it didnt preform like the HP and when I tried to remove the nozzle to give it a good clean to see if that was the problem the nozzle was screwed in so tight that the nozzle base got "bend" and I wasnt able to correct it so I scraped the airbrush and used the parts as spare parts for my HP

I think I know someone that was involved with bringing the Rich Pens into the US. He has never mentioned one of these brushes before, but I will ask him about it.

I find it difficult to believe that they would have been much different than any other Japanese brush, as they simply seem to mix and match parts, along with slightly different final specs. The other Rich pen you mentioned that uses a "Micron" nozzle cap, looks to me to share the same lineage as the Olympos SP series.... so I would guess at the same cap, with a different size exit bore.

I remember that I was given a rich pen with side cup it was a 0.2 and looked the same as my HP SB+ but it didnt preform like the HP and when I tried to remove the nozzle to give it a good clean to see if that was the problem the nozzle was screwed in so tight that the nozzle base got "bend" and I wasnt able to correct it so I scraped the airbrush and used the parts as spare parts for my HP

If it looked as your SB+, then it's not the model I mentioned.

I think I know someone that was involved with bringing the Rich Pens into the US. He has never mentioned one of these brushes before, but I will ask him about it.

I find it difficult to believe that they would have been much different than any other Japanese brush, as they simply seem to mix and match parts, along with slightly different final specs. The other Rich pen you mentioned that uses a "Micron" nozzle cap, looks to me to share the same lineage as the Olympos SP series.... so I would guess at the same cap, with a different size exit bore.

I wonder what the answer will be.

Yes, generally kinda SP, for the reason of using just "micron" air cap without the head base, only their bodies were totally different in appearance. Can't judge about the exit hole or any other dimensions, as I haven't bought any of them. BTW, there's any of Reach Pen in my disposal. Yet...:D I didn't buy them for the reason their build are almost identical to HP, which I had all.

And I have never expected such amount of guesses about the last improved brush. Can't even judge who was the first to give right or close answer, or to generate an idea, maybe:) But that doesn't matter. What matters, is what the things can be.

Who knows how far we will go
And the things that we'll know
How well we'll improve the flow
What way the precision will grow...

Here's some brain feed or... what thing can be. Maybe unusual, but that's just one of the airbrushes.

2.JPG

I have several Rich Pen brushes. Like others from Fuso Seiki they do share common bones. Many threads are the same, many holes in the same place, etc. On all of the samples that I have here where I also have corresponding Iwata and Olympos models, the exit hole of the nozzle caps is sized in between the Olympos, which are the largest, and Iwata, the smallest. Nozzles and needles more like Iwata than Olympos.

I have several Rich Pen brushes. Like others from Fuso Seiki they do share common bones. Many threads are the same, many holes in the same place, etc. On all of the samples that I have here where I also have corresponding Iwata and Olympos models, the exit hole of the nozzle caps is sized in between the Olympos, which are the largest, and Iwata, the smallest. Nozzles and needles more like Iwata than Olympos.

The first things I did to my MP-A on its arrival was changing the needle seal for teflon one and changing the air cap for Iwata micron air cap. Then, after getting new o-rings from your address the needle glides OK.

For the needles - I'm with you, concerning the nozzles - it's hard to say. I definitely like Olympos 0,18mm better then Iwata for some applications, when changing Olympos 0,3 nozzle to Iwata 0,3 I hadn't felt any difference (old type for HP). Olympos needles are something!:) I've changed them for chinese in some brushes:D

Back