Inexpensive Airbrush

micrometer

Young Tutorling
I have an inexpensive AB that works quite well like the one pictured. When the air hose is connected and the trigger is depressed I do get air out of the front as normal but I also get air released from the area circled in red but only on the left side of the AB. The right side does not have any air released.

Does this seem like normal AB behavior?

Attachments

• cheap AB.jpg
    cheap AB.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 9
There is no direct access to the air passage in that area (the needle packing port). The most likely cause will be the air valve below the trigger. The trigger has a pin attached to the bottom that in turn passs through a hole into the air valve. There is an o-ring in that hole, and that is the most likely spot of your air leak. The seals on that brush are on th less than expensive side, and are prone to chunking or deteriorating with use (I have a good selection of like brushes). Replace the seal with a like sized Buna-n or nitrile seal and you will be good to go.

Thanks again Dave. I see your very prolific on this site. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

I need to bother you once more for any recommendation for o-rings I need for this Chinese AB since you mentioned that you have several similar ones? I especially need the one between the trigger and the air valve that you mentioned since I have a leak there.

Thanks for whatever suggestion you provide.

Thanks again Dave. I see your very prolific on this site. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

I need to bother you once more for any recommendation for o-rings I need for this Chinese AB since you mentioned that you have several similar ones? I especially need the one between the trigger and the air valve that you mentioned since I have a leak there.

Thanks for whatever suggestion you provide.
I don't know the size of that o-ring off the top of my head. They may vary from import build to import build as well, so best to check it yourself.

I'm currently working on repairing/rebuilding a brush from within the first decade of the 1900's, so have my hands full. It will be at least a week or more before I can get to taking one of the imports out to take apart. You just need to measure the thickness (cross section) of the o-ring, and the inside diameter (ID) - should be somewhere around 1mm CS x maybe 2.6mm ID. In the meantime, you can try applying a bit of Vasaline (yes, petroleum jelly) to the bottom of the trigger pin to see if it will aid in getting a seal - it may prolong the need to replace.

OK, so I felt bad for not having the answer - I ran into the studio and popped one apart. The seal measures 1.6mmCS x 2.4mm ID - however I have a bag full of 1.4mm x 2.2mm O-rings, which is what I am sure I have been using in that location.

You unscrew the air valve assembly, and the seal should be visible looking up from the bottom.

Back