infinity or micron

not saying it still isn't a great paint just mean even within same company things have moved on a touch

at this moment there is a prototype illustration paint that createx is working on in conjunction with Dru Blair & Eddy Wouter, they are the test pilots so to speak, when I spoke with Dru in April this year he told me they were working on a few minor hickups but promised that this new paint would flow none stop, and I for one when it's released, am at least going to give it a try...:)....Trident paints are also great, in a 0.15 nozzle they have to be reduced, but as Dan told me also back in April, it just makes it more value for money......E'tac are also a great paint....Marissa swears by them, I use mostly the Hansa range, which are not available in the US at this time. I've tried a lot of different paints and all have been great to use, the Hansa paints suit my style of painting, as Josh said personal preference and availablity......nothing is junk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Com art do fabric paint but its separate to the normal paint. I've found com art awesome in my infinity but also tried wicked at 2:5 reduction which worked as well. I also used auto air which is great also.

As said, u have some off the best gear already. Now buying a micron is always cool but it will only make it u harder since u will just have to practise.

Just practise, and if u want to learn it faster. Whell take a course then, that's the only easier way, but u will still have to practise.

I was only using junk as a figure of speech. I have used Createx for many years. Sure I'll be the first to admit that by following these experts advice and still not getting to perform as they say it does really upsets me and cannot for the life of me figure out why I have this problem only with Createx. I have said for years that I wish Chreatex would fix this problem because the idea of one paint for many supports is an awesome idea.
If Dru's and them truly has a product as stated about I'll be the first line. You are all right just as with AB's the paint is also personal preference.

Far as Com Art and stuff have the chems in them I do not know off hand. You can do T-shirts with Golden you have to add a fabric medium to it.

Again sorry if I offended anyones pride, feels it was not my intentions. I was just trying to help with the AB problem.

i have a micron, it lives in idiana, and i hire it to do all my work for me, then i just post it as my own and take credit for it.. lol dont tell him.

I was only using junk as a figure of speech. I have used Createx for many years. Sure I'll be the first to admit that by following these experts advice and still not getting to perform as they say it does really upsets me and cannot for the life of me figure out why I have this problem only with Createx. I have said for years that I wish Chreatex would fix this problem because the idea of one paint for many supports is an awesome idea.
If Dru's and them truly has a product as stated about I'll be the first line. You are all right just as with AB's the paint is also personal preference.

Far as Com Art and stuff have the chems in them I do not know off hand. You can do T-shirts with Golden you have to add a fabric medium to it.
Again sorry if I offended anyones pride, feels it was not my intentions. I was just trying to help with the AB problem.

no buddy, my pride was not hurt at all!! i really do think it was just a good topic for discussion., and agree that com art flows like a dream, but for me 2 oz bottles and availability is my concearn. i go to hobby lobby, rather than order paint, lol!! i really should order more. just noticed your from ohio, thats where i grew up. i still go back a lot, im from little town of hillsboro and have family all over the south side of ohio. chillicothe, wilmington columbus, cincinnati. orville is north east isnt it?

no buddy, my pride was not hurt at all!! i really do think it was just a good topic for discussion., and agree that com art flows like a dream, but for me 2 oz bottles and availability is my concearn. i go to hobby lobby, rather than order paint, lol!! i really should order more. just noticed your from ohio, thats where i grew up. i still go back a lot, im from little town of hillsboro and have family all over the south side of ohio. chillicothe, wilmington columbus, cincinnati. orville is north east isnt it?

Yes it's a few hours NE. Not much around here for art supplies, so I have to order mostly.

I've got a good friend that lives in rittman.. Was just down there this summer visiting... Seamed like a nice area.

To my knowledge there has never been an independent scientific compare of airbrush paints. I think people would hesitate to conduct such a compare test to avoid stirring up matters that may result in events that no one can foresee. I've personally heard inside information from the management of certain paint manufacturers, that in some cases do test their own and the competition's paints in their lab, but these aren't suited to be made public since those views were shared in confidence. One very well known artist I also spoke, works for brand A, but off the record he told me the paint was crap, but they pay well. So what he does before demoing on fairs or for promotional videos, is to empty the bottles of Brand A and pour in his own favorite brand B. No one in the audience can tell the difference, beside the fact that the brand B paint sprays very well while everyone thinks it is brand A.

So what it often comes down to is personal experience for artists that are not sponsored by a specific brand. I've used and extensively tried many paints, demonstrated for many companies on art fairs and airbrushed commissioned works, but ended up with one brand, because it just sprayed better than the rest for the type of art work I make. I don't have any obligation towards any brand at this point, so my choice is purely based on personal experience.

To get back to the initial issue of this thread: The Infinity, when equipped with the 0.18 nozzle, may have a lesser performance with paints that do not have fine pigment particles or good solvents. There may not seem a lot of difference between a Micron's 0.2 nozzle and the 0.18 nozzle in the Infinity, but it is enough to distinguish excellent spraying from less good. The standard Infinity is an excellent airbrush - good internals and tall trigger. It sprays ecoline really well, because that dye consists of extremely fine pigments. However, problems may arise when spraying paint that has a more coarse type of pigment (larger pigment particle size) that the Micron would have no trouble with spraying. Iwata could have easily made a 0.18 nozzle, but decided not to produce one for this particular reason. Its magnificent internal construction and excellent choice of materials is good enough to perform at least as good or better than airbrush guns that are fitted with smaller sized nozzles for a wide array of different paints.

Harder & Steenbeck clearly decided to opt for a different policy, but as a result the Infinity with the smaller nozzle is better suited for paints that contain small pigment particles and good solvents.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Ignis my Iwata micron has .18 nozzle and the infinity a .15 nozzle either way I realize what your saying. I used to put down water bourne and water based paint till I was forced to learn them and now I love the wicked line. I tried a few times to switch from HOK to auto air and never had the patience to learn the product. I like goldens also have used them a few times. But the reality comes to this you need to learn a paint system it's additives and how to properly use them and you will be happy. There are plenty of good systems out there. They all have a learning curve. Wicked works for me and sprays great as long as I get a nice reduction mixed with createx ret@rder along with the proper air pressure.

Last edited:
Ignis my Iwata micron has .18 nozzle and the infinity a .15 nozzle

Yep. You're correct. My mistake. The relative spray properties of the paints in my previous entry remain the same. I've both guns, and I use the Micron for everything I spray on paper and board. To add a note to my earlier reply, some colors of certain brands are better than others. I use Molotow white and Trident black with the of the colors that are from Holbein Aeroflash. This paint is no good on hard surfaces, for which I use uros and candies from Inspire. Solvent based paints spray like a dream in the Infinity for which I don't use the Micron (yet). For spraying T-shirts and jackets I use Lukas Illu-Color. Both guns are excellent, but the Infinity is less expensive (also in parts) than the Iwata. I've an HP-BH also that I used for 8 years now and never changed a part yet. I dropped it on the floor with the handle not mounted, had to remove the needle from the nozzle with a pair of pliers, but it never affected the spraying capacity of the airbrush, which is an indication for the quality of Iwata arts. - they last almost forever.

I was going to say some thing about that, it happens allot in the tattoo industry people like different brands for different colors. The pigments they use for that color are probably just a better mix for there type of binder or carrier.

Last edited:
One very well known artist I also spoke, works for brand A, but off the record he told me the paint was crap, but they pay well. So what he does before demoing on fairs or for promotional videos, is to empty the bottles of Brand A and pour in his own favorite brand B. No one in the audience can tell the difference, beside the fact that the brand B paint sprays very well while everyone thinks it is brand A.

I've met a guy at the Schweinfurt Airbrush Show that does that too....maybe it's the same one....:)

Dont say that! I just ordered a velocity and it supposed to be arriving today. I currently use a Iwata eclipse. I never had a problem with my Iwata. I like side feed but decided to go with the velocity to give it a try. I spray urethanes

Back