For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Inline water traps, again

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by AndreZA, Nov 18, 2013.

1. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

With all the topics on inline water traps, I decided to try mine out in various positions and these are my thoughts and findings.

With the trap attached to the gun you get good grip. If you have more then one gun, you will need one on each gun. I've also seen that it affects the air flow. It is as if the air build up in the filter and the first time you press the trigger, the pressure is higher then what you want. Also, if you turn the air down before it reaches the trap, there might not be enough power to so that you can let the water out of the release valve.
    grip_filter_01_2.jpg

This way you loose the nice fat grip. You will only need one filter for all your guns providing you use the same hose. The airflow what you set at the MAC valve is what you get out of the gun. Also you get the full use of the power to get rid of the water in the trap.
    grip_filter_02_2.jpg
  2. phantom

phantom Double Actioner

Thanks for the info, just a question could you put the quick release between the Airbrush and Inline water trap?
  3. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

Handy tip Andre, I don't have mac valve, but usually when I need the release the water from trap I turn up the pressure, that can be irritating sometimes, so this would indeed solve that problem and emphasizes how handy the mac valve can be.

Another one of your ideas I shall be stealing, lol
  4. AndreZA

In the second picture it is between the gun and the trap.
  5. wmlepage

wmlepage Elite Member! Elite Member!

The second pic is how I run mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  6. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

2nd picture is how mine is set up too

Lee
  7. Kajzer

Kajzer Young Tutorling

pic no2
    i have small studio, small compressor and change airbrushes on one hoze.
    i have hoze with this mac valve, but i dont use it, since its on hoze i would have to attach water filter on airbrush ,and i dont want to do that...
    these filters are great, i still have the first one, that i bought on ebay for 4$, didnt remove it since day one :D
    the other is still in its package
    LOL

8. AndreZA

Here's the three water traps I now have. The Iwata one came in the box with LE HP-C and I'm not planning on using it. The Sparmax one is the most comfortable if you want to screw it directly to to gun and use as an extended grip. The "no-name" brand one is sold here in South Africa under the "Aircraft" brand and is basically the same and the Master and Fengda stuff in other countries. Weight wise from left to right they are, 19gr, 22gr and 16 gr. Price wise from more expensive to cheapest they are Iwata, Sparmax and then No-name. If they work is another issue. I have no idea as I do not have a water in the line problem. I don't even get water in the trap attached to the compressor. So these are just for grip purposes.

watertraps_all_three_sml.jpg
  9. flycatchr

flycatchr Detail Decepticon!

I have always manually let the water out the trap by pressing the needle valve, it just became a habit, especially on humid days. great info Andre, thanks :)
  10. Airbrush Dreams

Airbrush Dreams Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I never had water in the trap until I started using a silent compressor style. These mothers run hotter and cause more condensation. As for the hose, I have not had an issue. My old oilers pancake always had water in the holding tank.

Fred
    www.airbrush-dreams.com
    Keep on painting
  11. TacticalBacon02

TacticalBacon02 Triple Actioner

i was just wondering the same thing... i just ordered an iwata quick release set and an extra male end and i was wondering weather or not i should put it before or after the moisture trap... thanks for the info!:triumphant:
  12. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Code Dragon Slayer Admin

Well if you put it between the airbrush and the moisture trap, you can then use the same moisture trap for your different airbrushes :)
  13. ko.

ko. Elite Member! Elite Member!

I get rid of moisture before it gets to the final hose at my regulator/watertrap . I hate having stuff hanging off my brushes One of the reason I like brushes with built in Mac valves. (another reason I am selling the cm-sb) But if you have to use one on your brushes White makes sense