Instead of a paint booth?

Nope nothing to keep it from bouncing around the room and getting everywhere you do not want it.
If your garage is attached it may even help push it into you house..

Something like this would work fine if it's attached to an outside wall and directs over-spray outside the house or workspace, however it does not eliminate the need for a mask.

Many people don't actually understand the dynamics of a spray booth, I would suggest that anyone starting spraying for the first time to go to a body shop or spraying company nearby and ask to have a look around and also ask questions about what they see there.

I'll try to explain how it works, the first thing to understand is as Eistein said "Every positive force results in a negative force", what this means that sucking air out room is not enough on it's own, since the removal of that air cause foul air to be sucked into the same area, I worked for many years as a boat painter and it is impossible to to get a 20 metre yacht into a spray booth, to combat this problem we built a polythene tent around and over the boat making it airtight except for an opening fore and aft, these openings were used for one extractor fan and one filtered air supply which is basically the same fan in reverse, these fans run for one hour before spraying commences, this is to remove dust particles form the air inside the tent ensuring a clean dust free job, the volumes are also matched here to avoid the tent collapsing due to vacuum.

From this it sounds like we got it all covered, not so, the solution above also creates another problem "The Vortex", what this means is that the very fact that you are standing in the circulated air causes the air around you to swirl, you will end up with air at low pressure all around your body except for the part closest to extraction which in most cases will be you chest and face, this higher pressure draws dust and over-spray to these parts of your body and for that reason a mask is definitely a necessity, this incidentally is the same reason the shower curtain wants to cling to you as soon as you turn on the water, it's also the reason that when a window is broken because high wind, the glass will go into the building more than outside.

basically if you want to build a spray booth which has air being extracted, there also needs to be a clean air supply otherwise your simply sucking other unwanted elements into that area.

I spray mostly at around 10 - 15 psi with the widow open in my studio, there are windows open in other locations, the chimney stack effect does the rest but I still wear a mask, after any job I have very little dust to contend with, the extraction process does not have be of great speed, but the extraction and supply volumes need to be similar with less than 10% plus/minus tolerance.

Hope this helps, lol

Well, thanks guys. My garage is attached and I make sure the air or heat is off before I start spraying any uro's cuz my air conditioner filter is in my garage.. I do wear a mask no matter what.. Just thinking if I put this fan on a table on the same height & right next to my easel, it might work like a spray booth. This fan does have a carbon with iodine filtration system especially for paint and it is sold at coast. What's the difference between this fan and a spray booth? Only difference is that it's not boxed in right.. I could build something around the fan maybe.. Currently, I mostly spray water based & now that I am starting to acquire a pretty good URO color selection and 2k clear, I want to make sure I have everything setup correctly so I am not putting myself or my family at risk for lung problems or brain damage from the harsh fumes.. Know what I don't understand? Nail polish remover, acetone is harsh and so is lacquer thinner.. How come nobody thinks of filtration when it comes to acetone and lacquer thinner? Do those solvents not have a lot of VOC's? I know I've handled both of these solvents without gloves or a mask. I have also put mineral spirits on my hands to remove paint before. I didn't know any better. Thanks for the great explanation Mad Brush.

Well, thanks guys. My garage is attached and I make sure the air or heat is off before I start spraying any uro's cuz my air conditioner filter is in my garage.. I do wear a mask no matter what.. Just thinking if I put this fan on a table on the same height & right next to my easel, it might work like a spray booth. This fan does have a carbon with iodine filtration system especially for paint and it is sold at coast. What's the difference between this fan and a spray booth? Only difference is that it's not boxed in right.. I could build something around the fan maybe.. Currently, I mostly spray water based & now that I am starting to acquire a pretty good URO color selection and 2k clear, I want to make sure I have everything setup correctly so I am not putting myself or my family at risk for lung problems or brain damage from the harsh fumes.. Know what I don't understand? Nail polish remover, acetone is harsh and so is lacquer thinner.. How come nobody thinks of filtration when it comes to acetone and lacquer thinner? Do those solvents not have a lot of VOC's? I know I've handled both of these solvents without gloves or a mask. I have also put mineral spirits on my hands to remove paint before. I didn't know any better. Thanks for the great explanation Mad Brush.

I posted a link in a different thread for a home made spray booth using PVC pipe How to Create a Paint Booth in Your Garage: 12 steps

Something for you to think about.

I posted a link in a different thread for a home made spray booth using PVC pipe How to Create a Paint Booth in Your Garage: 12 steps

Something for you to think about.

Just checked that out Herb, that's exactly what we did with the boats, the only difference was that it was a lot bigger and we used steel scaffold tubes instead of PVC pipe, but this system is ideal for in the garage or even in the house if you can close it and feed it with clean air.

@Optowel, if you place this fan next to your easel and your easel is in the middle of the garage all it does is recirculate the air around your garage, it will also stir up any other dust that may be there, it needs to pump the the air away from your garage, you would get a far better result if you could install this into an outside wall in your garage and situate your easel under or close to it.

As for the thinners and acetones, these are purely VOC's and should be handled with care, they are not only bad for your health but are also a fire hazard, leaving either of these on a rag you just used to clean your hands in your garage on a warm day is the easiest to burn your house, you should use these only when it's absolutely necessary and even then do it outside, if you have store rags which have been dipped even with small amount, these should be stored in a sealed strong metal container away from other flammable materials, also outside if you can, taking the lid off after storage in a warm garage will knock you on your arse, lol

So you know, I've been working with all of these things for almost forty years, I can't work any more because my lungs are goosed, I wonder how that could have happened, I worked with it all before there were rules and regulations as to there use.

I would urge you never to use any substance your not sure of to clean your hands, there are designated hand cleaners available at many different outlets ideal for this.

It's too late for me but lets just say some of us risked our health so you don't have, lol

Just checked that out Herb, that's exactly what we did with the boats, the only difference was that it was a lot bigger and we used steel scaffold tubes instead of PVC pipe, but this system is ideal for in the garage or even in the house if you can close it and feed it with clean air.

@Optowel, if you place this fan next to your easel and your easel is in the middle of the garage all it does is recirculate the air around your garage, it will also stir up any other dust that may be there, it needs to pump the the air away from your garage, you would get a far better result if you could install this into an outside wall in your garage and situate your easel under or close to it.

As for the thinners and acetones, these are purely VOC's and should be handled with care, they are not only bad for your health but are also a fire hazard, leaving either of these on a rag you just used to clean your hands in your garage on a warm day is the easiest to burn your house, you should use these only when it's absolutely necessary and even then do it outside, if you have store rags which have been dipped even with small amount, these should be stored in a sealed strong metal container away from other flammable materials, also outside if you can, taking the lid off after storage in a warm garage will knock you on your arse, lol

So you know, I've been working with all of these things for almost forty years, I can't work any more because my lungs are goosed, I wonder how that could have happened, I worked with it all before there were rules and regulations as to there use.

I would urge you never to use any substance your not sure of to clean your hands, there are designated hand cleaners available at many different outlets ideal for this.

It's too late for me but lets just say some of us risked our health so you don't have, lol

You and I are in the same boat.. Back when I started painting cars , no regulation ,everyone was not wearing spray mask, and most of use have lead lungs.
Because almost all paint back in the day was lead based.
But I have a paint storage Cabinet designed for flammable liquids ,
I also have flammable rag buckets that hold both paint rags as well mechanic rags.

Main thing Mad brush and I are trying to do is teach you the safe and healthy way to do things.
Granted a full paint booth cost lots of money which most can not afford. but there are ways to build them for small amounts of money and still keep you and your family safe .

Ok Madbrush made some great points here I'm going to add on it is the motor a non spark motor designed for autobody applications filling a room up volatile chemicals that could go boom and using a regular box fan is a no no. How happy is the family gonna be if you blew the garage off the house with you in it. Well I guess that depends if you have life insurance or not LOL. You get the point though what are the chances of this happening not very likely but it has happened so you should take proper precausion. Turning the heat or AC off in the garage is also not enough the fumes and overspray will get into the system and spread through the house this is from experiance. You need to mask them off air tight. I used plastic and masking tape worked good. If you live in a raised ranch or a house where the garage is under the house the garage is out of the option even taking precautions you will stink up the house and get the family pissed off from experiance as well. If this is the case start looking into those carports and put some thought into making a booth/ work area out of one of those. Hope this info helps.

Ok Madbrush made some great points here I'm going to add on it is the motor a non spark motor designed for autobody applications filling a room up volatile chemicals that could go boom and using a regular box fan is a no no. How happy is the family gonna be if you blew the garage off the house with you in it. Well I guess that depends if you have life insurance or not LOL. You get the point though what are the chances of this happening not very likely but it has happened so you should take proper precausion. Turning the heat or AC off in the garage is also not enough the fumes and overspray will get into the system and spread through the house this is from experiance. You need to mask them off air tight. I used plastic and masking tape worked good. If you live in a raised ranch or a house where the garage is under the house the garage is out of the option even taking precautions you will stink up the house and get the family pissed off from experiance as well. If this is the case start looking into those carports and put some thought into making a booth/ work area out of one of those. Hope this info helps.

Thanks for that SA, I forgot about the spark thingy, and yes the old memory cells also get damaged in the process, lol

Thanks for the great info everyone. Thanks for the link herb.. I'll find a way to seal the air off in my air conditioner..

Back