Intermediate turned Neophyte from America.

Amra

Needle-chuck Ninja
Greetings, good day and salutations from America! My name is Ben, and I am getting back into airbrushing after a long hiatus (say a decade or so).

Not really sure how to categorize myself within the framework of airbrushing as an artform. I am sure the hobby has changed considerably since I was younger. As a hobbiest, I mostly do models and miniatures. Much of my work is with a brush, but airbrushing has become an ever increasing component of my work, and I do plan to expand my skillset as time progresses.

I grew up with a Paasche VL, and still use it to this day. Its served me well, and I have modified it as necessary to keep up with times as much as I could. I've polished my needles to a mirror shine (helps with tip dry and spatter) , modified the button to raise it up and make it more comfortable (wider range of motion, greater control), modified the spring and tensioning mechanism (for smoother operation), replaced the handle with the open one (easier access to pull the needle lock to flush paint/clean between colors), quick disconnect, etc etc. The usual, I suspect.

Also have a Paasche H that I use. It's easily over 20 years old (has the old style valve/button, and seems to have a nickel plating opposed to the more modern chrome plating). Havent really modified it (no need to). Its a workhorse and does its job well.

I use a DIY Compressor cobbled together from the 2-3 gallon tank of a broken campbell hausfeld compressor, a diaphram air compressor motor from the 80s, check valves, copper piping and a fairly new MDR11 pressure switch. Works good and is quiet, only about 50-55db. I own a 25 gallon piston compressor out in the garage, but its way too loud to use for this purpose, I can hear that one from inside the house.

Im completely sure you didnt need to know all that, but long winded introductions are as American as apple pie! :)

Welcome to the forum from Canada, browse around and ask away if you have any questions lots of great people around herre. :)

Thanks for the warm welcomes all! Looking forward to learning the new stuff, and relearning the old stuff.

Side note; Used to live in Texas myself Greg, little town just north of DFW called Plano. Nice place, but right in the middle of all the highways, traffic was insane. :eek: Nice to see another midwesterner. :)

Welcome from the uk! Long posts are all good as far as I'm concerned, the more info the merrier :D Glad you decided to get back into it, and look forward to seeing some of your creations.

Thanks for the warm welcomes all! Looking forward to learning the new stuff, and relearning the old stuff.

Side note; Used to live in Texas myself Greg, little town just north of DFW called Plano. Nice place, but right in the middle of all the highways, traffic was insane. :eek: Nice to see another midwesterner. :)
My father in law lives there and I used to live in the Chicago burbs so I decided to skip Plano!

Welcome from Australia!
Don't worry much about the gear, so long as it works!
Models teach fine control of an a/b, so it's all good there.
Also teaches you good masking skills.

Wow, thanks for all the warm welcomes, seems like a very nice community you all have here! Looking forward to seeing everyone's work, and hopefully sharing some of my own at some point!

Back