Intro from Texas

Thanks for the cleaning info. I'll try cleaning the airbrush out well before buying new parts. Hobby Lobby was completely out of parts for my airbrush anyway. hehe

Yeah I called them and they told me that to so I had to order them online. Then I went to the store a couple of days later and they were there!

Definitely seems like an needle/nozzle issue, likely a good clean (when you think it's clean, it probably isn't, there are a couple of threads about that very thing around right now that are well worth looking at) will help. It is possible though, that the needle or nozzle is damaged, or that you have flared the nozzle - which may not be apparent just by looking, if you have been a bit aggressive in cleaning or rebuilding after tearing down. It will mean that the needle won't be properly seated. Getting a new needle and nozzle will show if that's what the issue was, and if it wasn't, it's always a good idea to have spares anyway. I'm not familiar with Trident paints, but white is notoriously prone to causing blockages, even when reduced, due to the nature of the pigment. So, if you have another colour and you get a new needle and nozzle, maybe try using that instead of white, while you are getting to grips with your air/reducer/pressure ratios. Getting that ratio is the key to airbrushing. There are so many variables with equipment and paint, and painting styles, brush size, weather and humidity etc, that there is no magic formula - but systematically experiment, drop by drop, and by lowering the pressure the more you reduce until you find your sweet spot. Then you can focus on learning technique.

The compressor seems like it could be an issue to me. If it is one of those that comes with a kit, then there are a couple of issues that will affect performance. Not being able to control the pressure - your paint seems nice and thin, but if you can't set the pressure then it may be spidering because there is too much pressure for your reduction. The trigger not immediately responding is an indication of a blockage, and then the pressure builds and the paint is getting blasted out all at once (a combination of issues). The more you reduce the paint, the lower the pressure, some go as low as 5psi with super, super reduced paints. If you can't adjust the pressure, it is a problem. Also if the compressor is tankless (it sounds like it's running all the time), then it will struggle to keep up with the airbrush, and may cause the air to pulse, which will make it impossible for the brush to perform consistantly. (Also running all the time may cause it to overheat). If you get the chance to try your AB on another compressor (make sure there is a water trap) then it may help you dial in some issues. :D

I still have my old spectra tex paints. They have been sitting for 4 years however. Are they still good for practice, or should I just buy some new paints?

So you having any luck there Marty?

Not yet. I've had to do some inventorying for my store, but I'm expecting to be done in the next couple of days which should free me up for this. I'm going to start with a good cleaning and go from there. I'm just not sure if my old paints are still OK, or if I need to get some new paints.

I would say give your brush a soak with some restorer, clean it, then clean it again just in case Lol. Then buy a bottle of new paint, try it out ,and compare it with one that you already have. Paint does go off. I had one that I bought in a batch with some other colours, and they were all fine, but this particular one made my brain ache. You never know how it's been stored or how long its been hanging around before you get it, and if your paints are 4 years old, that could be the problem.

Dagnabbit, I'd better start doing some big pieces, these paint pals aren't using a great deal:eek:
I guess so Bro Lol! I'm sure if you store them properly, don't let them get too hot, and out of sunlight etc, they will last a good long while. But I know you got stuff planned so it won't last that long anyway Lol.

I questioned the bottle that was giving me issues, and was told it might be older stock, I got it replaced and the new one gave me no problems.

Welcome from Washington State :). If it was Spectra Tex white you were using then thats why your nozzle got clogged. White from almost any brand is tough to spray without reducing. Just dont give up because the big problems your having now will be small insignificant problems once experience sets in.

I'm almost set to go. I have my new paint and I went ahead and bought a new nozzle and needle, just in case I need them. This is the compressor I have to work with right now. It does have a tank, a water trap, and perhaps a regulator? I don't recall ever messing with it, but it was 4 years ago...

Y86x9ST.jpg

JXGHv7d.jpg

T1kfWSD.jpg

Sweet. What pressure should I be spraying at if I'm just using normal Wicked paint, perhaps thinned a little? What do the red numbers and the black numbers represent on the gauge? I'm guessing the red is PSI since it's written in red on the gauge.

LOL, yes red is PSI, the black is BAR pressure, it took me awhile to figure out that you 'lift' the black knob, then set the pressure, then push the knob back down ~~
what pressure you spray at depends on what youre painting on, fabric generally around 50psi is my understanding as I don't do fabric.
Art work can be 30psi for larger non detailed work, the more detailed work is often done 10psi or less and with heavily reduced paint

To get started try around 30Psi reduce your wicked 3 parts reducer and one part paint.

I finally got started. I decided to replace most possible causes of the issues. New nozzle, new needle, new compressor. When I fired up the old compressor and realized it lasted just 13 seconds on a full tank, I realized it was just going to annoy the hell out of me. I got a California Air Tools 6310, which I always thought was a great priced compressor. It's nice to not have the compressor literally running all the time.

Overall, it went better than before. However, I did have some similar issues. After a while, I became frustrated. I felt like there was no consistency with how far I had to pull the trigger back before the paint came out. Sometimes, it seemed to come out fast and easy, and other times, I felt like I almost had to pull the trigger all the way back before it came out. On the latter, I felt like the paint would come out in a burst, but not as bad as in my youtube videos.

I know something really did clog up. At one point, there was very little paint coming out. I pulled the trigger all the way back. After about a second, a giant splat of paint shot out. After that, the gun sprayed much better. I was painting outside... it was about 80 degrees. Is it possible paint dried up while I was still painting? I was shooting Wicked opaque black about 30% reduced at around 30 PSI. When I was cleaning the brush afterwards, I did have some black paint on the tip, and some lower - around the trigger or siphon area.

I'm not positive, but I think I felt the paint jar was bubbling a few times. I had my hand on the jar most of the time and it just felt like bubbles were going into it. I'm not sure how, or why that would happen... if it even did happen. I'm not positive. It just felt that way.

I'm working on the Power series DVD's. So right now, it's dots and barbells.

ITKSi3D.jpg

4m6d9vg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, does it make a difference if I hold the airbrush parallel to the ground? I noticed I have a tendency to angle the brush down about 20 to 30 degrees.

My compressor fires up when it hits about 6 Bar and cuts off around 9.5. Can I set it to something like 1 or 2 Bar before the compressor kicks in? So like 2 Bar for the compressor to turn on and cut off at 9.5. Is it OK to have a differential that large?

You said you are using Wicked Black at 30% reduction? I believe the usual reduction is more like 5 to 1 or more reducer to paint. Sounds like tip dry. I am sure others will chime in. What reducer are you using?

I order Wicked reducer, but they sent me Auto Air reducer 4011. I assumed that meant they were compatible. I misread what someone above wrote. They said 3 to 1 reducer to paint. I misread as 3 to 1 paint to reducer. I guess that could explain some things. hehe

Back