introduction

I’ve gone back through the thread but I can’t see any comments regarding noise (or lack there of) for the compressor.

Apart from a preference for quiet is it a necessity ?

Are you always painting at the one place or do you go onsite and do murals ?
Not really, but my studio is currently at school so I guess people would find it disturbing if its too loud. I dont do murals, only paintings in studio environment

That’s helpful.... the hunt is on for a quietish compressor with decent volume, it’s nearly bedtime here in Oz, so maybe @robbyrocket will beat me to it, but the larger one he linked earlier could be the one of choice - not the sparmax, it could have problems keeping up with the volume of air for larger pieces

Yep, I think you'll be working too large for the sparmax, I don't think any AB specific compressor that is in your bdget will have the out put you need.
So I'd be back to looking at the types of compressors I was linking you before.
Id probably do the yellow one and that hose with 1/4 on one side
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01EFWCHG8/ref=psdcmw_1939320031_t2_B00VTSQOO8
But, see what @JackEb thinks on it.
The rest of what youd want for it (water trap/regulator, maybe a pipe nipple, quick connect ) should be available locally and you would actually be able to run it as is ( it has a regulator) and take it to the hardware store and get the other stuff with their help at a little later point if you wanted.

Yep, I think you'll be working too large for the sparmax, I don't think any AB specific compressor that is in your bdget will have the out put you need.
So I'd be back to looking at the types of compressors I was linking you before.
Id probably do the yellow one and that hose with 1/4 on one side
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01EFWCHG8/ref=psdcmw_1939320031_t2_B00VTSQOO8
But, see what @JackEb thinks on it.
The rest of what youd want for it (water trap/regulator, maybe a pipe nipple, quick connect ) should be available locally and you would actually be able to run it as is ( it has a regulator) and take it to the hardware store and get the other stuff with their help at a little later point if you wanted.
Allright. :) By curiosity, whats the deal with airbrush specific compressors? How come theyre so expensive in comparison to the ones you mentioned?
The yellow one you linked doesnt send to Sweden for some reason, but I'll check the specs and try to find something similar.

edit: I found this one, I think you linked it before. But I cant find anyting about "lpm" or "psi"?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...e77-5ff7-821f-fa811cecb1e9&pf_rd_i=1939320031

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Robbyrockett2

I'm by no means a compressor expert but i do have 4 compressors of varying capabilities & subsequent noise levels at home....

As far as why are the 'studio' type airbrush compressors being so expensive it pretty much comes down to the power and noise factor. Building a noisy compressor is reasonably cheap......start trying to silence a mechanical motor and then you start talking $$.

I found this video of the compressor in the link, so you can at least get an idea of the noise level

I had a quick look and couldnt find specs on it but the reviews by customers say they're happily running it daily at 90 psi and they can hold a conversation when it kicks in.

I have one very similar but has two tanks and it will run a mini spray gun (iwata LPH-80) quite comfortably

Thanks @Robbyrockett2

I'm by no means a compressor expert but i do have 4 compressors of varying capabilities & subsequent noise levels at home....

As far as why are the 'studio' type airbrush compressors being so expensive it pretty much comes down to the power and noise factor. Building a noisy compressor is reasonably cheap......start trying to silence a mechanical motor and then you start talking $$.

I found this video of the compressor in the link, so you can at least get an idea of the noise level

I had a quick look and couldnt find specs on it but the reviews by customers say they're happily running it daily at 90 psi and they can hold a conversation when it kicks in.

I have one very similar but has two tanks and it will run a mini spray gun (iwata LPH-80) quite comfortably
Not too bad I guess. I wont be bothered by the noise but if people are complaining I'll play some music maybe :D
If its running at 90psi, how often would it start the noise when using eclipse? (for example if I use it non-stop)

On a side note;
Im going to order this
http://www.foxystudio.com/product/iwata-cs-eclipse/
and I'll add some extra equipment, like this
http://www.foxystudio.com/product/iwata-universal-spray-out-pot-cl-300/

other than paint and hose, can you think of anything else I will need from this shop?

you have to remember too that noise can sound different at different times of day EG its going to sound a lot louder at 5am than it does at 3pm with all the ambient noise of the day. If the noise does become to much of an issue (which i dont think it will ) you can always build a sound buffer to put around it.
How long before it kicks in is another 'how long is a piece of string' questions. It will depend on what pressure you are spraying at... if you are covering a large area (background for example) you would be spraying at a higher psi than if you are doing the hair on the legs of a bee that is 1"...

Because you've stated you're not confident with things I'll state here that you need to drain tank regularly.... i open my drain at the end of every day

the spray out pot is nice, but not necessary, you can make your own out of an icecream tub and a 'chux' cloth (and a drill or soldering iron.) but the spray out pot will look more profesional.

I'll go and have a quick scan and see if there is anything that i can think of that would be useful for you, apart from a spare nozzle and a spare needle. (having to wait for a delivery of essential parts isnt nice)
give me 5 minutes.

just to confirm: you are working soley on large panels and canvas ? are these going to be highly detailed pictures or more abstract / graffitti style works

you have to remember too that noise can sound different at different times of day EG its going to sound a lot louder at 5am than it does at 3pm with all the ambient noise of the day. If the noise does become to much of an issue (which i dont think it will ) you can always build a sound buffer to put around it.
How long before it kicks in is another 'how long is a piece of string' questions. It will depend on what pressure you are spraying at... if you are covering a large area (background for example) you would be spraying at a higher psi than if you are doing the hair on the legs of a bee that is 1"...

Because you've stated you're not confident with things I'll state here that you need to drain tank regularly.... i open my drain at the end of every day

the spray out pot is nice, but not necessary, you can make your own out of an icecream tub and a 'chux' cloth (and a drill or soldering iron.) but the spray out pot will look more profesional.

I'll go and have a quick scan and see if there is anything that i can think of that would be useful for you, apart from a spare nozzle and a spare needle. (having to wait for a delivery of essential parts isnt nice)
give me 5 minutes.

just to confirm: you are working soley on large panels and canvas ? are these going to be highly detailed pictures or more abstract / graffitti style works
Lets say I cover a big area, with full pressure, is the compressor going non stop?
Haha okay, I will consider making my own spray out pot if I need money for other equipment.
Super nice of you. And yes, only canvas and panel. I thought I'd do more details and "sketch-like" lines with the airbrush but I might cover big areas as well. I guess that wasnt helpful?

Edit; bedtime here now, I will read tomorrow so I say thanks in advance :)
Tomorrow I'll order as much as possible

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dont already have an airhose i highly recommend one of these types
http://www.foxystudio.com/product/iwata-cobra-coil-air-hose-10/
this one has the larger nut on the end which will fit most of the aircompressors (you will likely need an adaptor - easily available from your local building/hardware/tool shop. )
I'd also recommend a moisture trap at the brush end if you wind up with a compressor that doesnt have one included.

If we could find the specifications of the compressor we might be able to give you a better idea of how long until it cuts in again, it will also depend on what the factory pressure switch is set to, the motor will kick in when the pressure in the tank drops below a certain point. Its not a case of the tank emptying and then filling up.
is we go on the specs we have so far of that the Average airbrush uses ~ 15lpm at 30psi, the compressor you linked to only has a 6 litre tank so the tank will empty about every 30 sec, but the pressure switch will cut in before that, so it will cut in earlier.
If you can find one with a larger tank you'll push that time out because it takes longer to 'empty'

If you want it to be semi portable there will be a trade off between size and air supply before it cuts in.

@robbyrocket2 or anyone else that is watching this thread may be able to fire up their compressors and provide the following info:
Stats of the compressor (lpm/cfm)
Tank size.
what pressure
what airbrush
how long until it cuts in.
I realise this is taking longer than you were expecting and you are probably keen to get going, but with a bit of patience we can get you a compressor that will last you many years.

The cevik runs almost 4cfm /110LPM
The switch is likely set to kick in at 90 and off at 135 psi
It should take approximately 40 sec to turn on and will kick back off in about ten to twelve seconds.
This could be adjusted to a lower range and would mean it would run even shorter time periods but kick on after about the same amount of time.

The only bad thing about it is the way its set up makes it impractical to add a water trap, which means if you do get water you will have to have a pistol grip type water trap.

Last edited:
As for why the AB specific compressors are so expensive.....IMO they are still somewhat priced based on the prices they enjoyed when General purpose silent compressors weren't readily available, that's really only only happened in the last IDK 5 years? 10 maybe
Before that you were pretty much always looking at a bambi style unit for a fortune if you wanted quiet, or an AB compressor.

BTW that 4.77 cfm on the orazio is a load of crap, or I should say a " no load" of crap. It outputs around 3.2cfm in real life.
4.77 is at 0 psi or no load
It's still plenty, just thought I should mention it

Last edited:
Yeah that one
Heres a video for size reference....
and dimensions;
60×23×53cm Net weight: 22kg
bigger tank = longer off time
Adding a water trap/regulator would be straightforward
I think its a little quieter

Heres the cevik
46x44x40
17kg
It would be less awkward to carry around
comes with regulator but no easy way to add water trap

Which is better depends mainly on how much you wanna carry it around

I currently have 6 different compressors..... 2 are just for AB'ing
I use this one the most right now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Senco-PC...155064&hash=item52001fd450:g:vWYAAOSwnBJavbJI

It's a little louder but theres a very very easy fix for that and it brings it right down around the 60dB level if my other compressor is honest about its noise level.
It only puts out 1.1 cfm so it runs a lot but it is one of the rare little compressors with 100% duty cycle so its rated to run constantly if need be.
Also it truly puts out 1.1 cfm at 40 psi and truly does 20lpm at 90psi , its not all crazy over rated like many of the compressors weve looked at here.
I would recommend it if portability is a big factor, it's a tiny hulk.
But again it would be running a LOT, and it doesnt leave room for many other tools you might want to run in the future.....It;s right on the edge of being able to run a fan brush... probably would only do it intermittently.

Last edited:
Back