Introduction

W

wharvey

I usually go by Bill but sometimes Hey You works. Got into airbrushing about 10 years ago but never particularly serious. Now live outside San Antonio, TX and for whatever reason I just stopped airbrushing a year or so ago. Then a couple of weekends ago one of my grand daughters wanted to give it a whirl. Found my paints had gone bad. (Nothing like adding 4012 to wicket and seeing it clump up.)

At any rate it rekindled my interest and have ordered some Createx Illustration paints. Got one bottle of wicket detail and been playing with my Patriot 105 doing the basic dots, lines, daggers and so forth. My old physics teacher said that physicist were really artist wannabe's who couldn't draw as we were always sketching out the problems. I think he is correct, at least to the can't draw part. Actually I've surprised myself a few times. Just need to get back into it. Already stumbled on some techniques I want to give a try.

While I have no plans to ever turn professional, just do it to enjoy myself, I do want to improve a bit and as already mentioned, seen some stuff here that might help me out a bit.. If interested you can check out a bit of my work here. (At least if I created the link correctly.)

I'll make some time to do a signature and edit my profile in the next week or so.

As the Brits might say, Cheers.

I usually go by Bill but sometimes Hey You works. Got into airbrushing about 10 years ago but never particularly serious. Now live outside San Antonio, TX and for whatever reason I just stopped airbrushing a year or so ago. Then a couple of weekends ago one of my grand daughters wanted to give it a whirl. Found my paints had gone bad. (Nothing like adding 4012 to wicket and seeing it clump up.)

At any rate it rekindled my interest and have ordered some Createx Illustration paints. Got one bottle of wicket detail and been playing with my Patriot 105 doing the basic dots, lines, daggers and so forth. My old physics teacher said that physicist were really artist wannabe's who couldn't draw as we were always sketching out the problems. I think he is correct, at least to the can't draw part. Actually I've surprised myself a few times. Just need to get back into it. Already stumbled on some techniques I want to give a try.

While I have no plans to ever turn professional, just do it to enjoy myself, I do want to improve a bit and as already mentioned, seen some stuff here that might help me out a bit.. If interested you can check out a bit of my work here. (At least if I created the link correctly.)

I'll make some time to do a signature and edit my profile in the next week or so.

As the Brits might say, Cheers.
It is likely the paints are fine, it's the 4012 going bad that usually causes seeding.

You can usually kinda fix the 4012 by adding water back to it ....but it's best to just replace it.

Welcome Bill. Glad to have you aboard. I like the pieces you’ve done in the link you shared, it won the long before you blow the dust off. Cheers from a Brit lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum, you will soon be back painting. Its good you can paint with your grand daughter, it will help boost skill and confidence for both of you. There's plenty of info on this forum if you want to search for something specific but if you get stuck and can't find something your after then just post up a thread and i'm almost certain you will get an answer pretty quick.

Lee

It is likely the paints are fine, it's the 4012 going bad that usually causes seeding.

You can usually kinda fix the 4012 by adding water back to it ....but it's best to just replace it.

It might be the 4012 but so far it is working fine with the new bottle of wicket I bought. Waiting for the Illustration colors to come in and see what they are about. Definitely wanting to try some erasing and scratching techniques. Found some examples using a bamboo skewer. Would certainly make hair and fur easier to do.

Funny thing is I've shot a few of my standard Createx fabric colors diluted with water and they seem to be fine. It's just the Wicked I'm having trouble with.

It might be the 4012 but so far it is working fine with the new bottle of wicket I bought. Waiting for the Illustration colors to come in and see what they are about. Definitely wanting to try some erasing and scratching techniques. Found some examples using a bamboo skewer. Would certainly make hair and fur easier to do.

Funny thing is I've shot a few of my standard Createx fabric colors diluted with water and they seem to be fine. It's just the Wicked I'm having trouble with.
Wicked is like that, I mean it's possible it's the problem , just trying to be bring up a possibility that could save you some money..... I wouldnt toss it until you have to get new 4012 and tried it w that.

These paints all seem to have pretty mysterious chemistry. I'm definitely not throwing anything out. Even if it's gone bad for airbrushing it'll probably still work OK for brush work as well as the cheap craft paints.

Last night I tried the new paint with some of the thinner I got with the original wicket kit. I think W100. it was amazing the difference. Tip dry was horrible. This newer 4012 stuff is a different world. I'd never believed how much better it is.

Welcome from a Brit! If your wicked has been exposed to hot/cold temps then it does get affected - particularly to cold I've found, and will clump.
The 4012 is a revelation right! Get it dialled in and tip dry is pretty much a thing of the past. Plus it's a good cleaner. I recommend running a couple of drops through at the end of a session to keep that nozzle ready to go next time (assuming there are no major blockages from iffy paint etc).

Cheers! (Lol)

Back