Inverters Work?

G

Geary

I'm planning on airbrushing T-shirts outside on certain high traffic sites. I want to run my trusty ol' Paasche 110V - 1/10 hp compressor off of my Expedition (F150) battery. Should I get a daisy-chained battery or will running one off of a naked 12v car battery be ok for a few hours work? Don't really want the extra noise of a gas compressor. Also, don't want to be stranded with a dead battery to start my truck...so....that's the reason for question. Thanks!
~Geary

Don't know explicitly but I reckon it's worth testing one and seeing how it runs. It might be something suitable for a deep cycle battery they use in marine applications. Make sure your inverter has enough amperage for the draw from the compressor. It should say how many amps it will tolerate adn the compressor should say how any it draws as well.

It doesn't say amps. It's 110 volts - 60 cycle. And no info on it's "draw" power. Just wondering if anybody here has tried this with these mini-compressors. The thing has served me well for 30 years and still works great. I'd love to be able to easily convert it from car battery. Thanks again.

It doesn't say amps. It's 110 volts - 60 cycle. And no info on it's "draw" power. Just wondering if anybody here has tried this with these mini-compressors. The thing has served me well for 30 years and still works great. I'd love to be able to easily convert it from car battery. Thanks again.

Its guaranteed to be around 4 to 6 amps being a compressor, take a dedicated spare, I reckon you would be lucky to get a hour out of one charge, maybe a small power generator would be better.

I used to run my twin compressor of my home solar system fine and that was when I only had the 750 watt invertor hooked up. But saying that I also had 8 205 amp hour battery's :) Plus solar coming in of my panels..Running of a single battery you may not get a lot of charge time out of it but does depend primarly on the size of the battery or battery bank..I can check later and plug it in and it should tell me the constant draw power on my new invertor which may help give ya an idea on how long it may last with some basic maths..You may also want to consider a storage tank if you want to set up some roadside or market painting..If say you can get 3 or 4 charges out of a single 12 volt battery, wld be better that time is spent charging up a bottle or gas tank so you get decent painting time from it between charges or the like as one issue you'll have is more the fact that it will be kicking in and out all the time and when it initially kicks in thats when the biggest draws will occur..Will check that draw in awhile for ya to give you a rough idea.

Might not have had enough coffee yet to kick in the brain so check my maths LOL..My twin silent compressor is 1/4 horsepower, equals about 185 watts according to Google LOL..Its smarter than me and doesnt need coffee to work :)..185 watts to amps equals 0.78 amps using 240 volt but depends, some countrys invertors may push pust out 110 volts so amperage wld be diff..say round it up to 1 amp @ 240v..You'd def want to use a deep cycle battery for this or at minimum set up a duel battery system in your car/truck as it will leave you flat one day LOL but its a case of seeing what the battery can pump out and for how many amp hrs..Saying that you can also mount or use a fold out style solar panel..A 200 watt panel should in theory replace what its using..If the panel is putting in a constant 200watts it essentially wouldnt flatten a battery at all but that does depend on the output rate of the panel and on cloudy days wouldnt run at 100%..I would highly recommend going into a good solar shop and getting a quote or use a system builder tool on a solar website..Some are made to give you system idea's that you may need to run such a setup..energymatters.com has a good calculator on it..Once it gives you system requirements you can then see if what you have or want to buy will be able to do the job..Good luck.

Ok...got some specs from a electrical pro for vehicles (he does cars, trucks and RVs). He said my 1/10 hp 115 volt Paasche airbrush compressor equals 75 watts and draws less than 1/2 an amp. It would be wise for sure though...to dedicate a deep cycle battery for my needs. Thanks guys for the quick responses. I'll get back to y'all when I've worked with this setup out in the real world. ;)