Is it me or is this AB not good...

J

jskd82

I just received my airbrush kit from amazon. I bought the kit that comes with an air compressor with tank and a Master G22 gravity AB. When I start spraying it kinda splatters paint and then the flow is pretty good. I am new to Airbrushing so I do not know anything.

Is this a decent AB to start off with or should I return it for something better?.... Also not very pleased with the compressor as it comes on quite often.... Thinking I would rather just get a bigger shop type compressor instead and just deal with the noise.

Unfortunately this is the normal post when people buy kits, the airbrushes and compressors are just mediocre.
Beginning airbrushing is a double edge sword, many people chose to buy equipment that is cheap. They don't know much about airbrushing or buy more cost effective equipment because if they quit the hobby, they aren't out much money.
Airbrushing takes a lot of practice in order to become good at it, and sometimes practicing with inferior equipment is more painful than it needs to be.

Try reducing your paint some and see if it sprays better. Any type of detail work, you can usually not use paint out of the bottle. What type of paint are you using?

Unfortunately this is the normal post when people buy kits, the airbrushes and compressors are just mediocre.
Beginning airbrushing is a double edge sword, many people chose to buy equipment that is cheap. They don't know much about airbrushing or buy more cost effective equipment because if they quit the hobby, they aren't out much money.
Airbrushing takes a lot of practice in order to become good at it, and sometimes practicing with inferior equipment is more painful than it needs to be.

Try reducing your paint some and see if it sprays better. Any type of detail work, you can usually not use paint out of the bottle. What type of paint are you using?
what he said!!!........ although at least you have bought a comp with a tank..... that means you will at least not get the pulsation of air that you get with tankless comps..... the brush isnt brilliant, its basically a chineese knock off of a decent well made brush but its unlikely that this is your problem, as jagardn said its more likely to do with your paint reduction..... reduce it some more and then see how you get on, if yo still have same issue.... rduce some more, play with pressure etc.... unfortunately as you are as new as you are to this magnificent art it could be a number of things wrong but mostly concentrated around air pressure, paint reduction and cleanliness ( the brush not your personal hygiene)

Thanks guys! I'm using Createx paint straight from the bottle. I was deciding between this kit or just buying the AB and other stuff by itself and using my shop compressor. I ended up with this because I wanted a quiet compressor to practice in the house at night.

Do you think I should get another AB? I was looking at the Badger Patriot but not sure.

It seems that there is a drop of paint on the tip and when I press for air, it blows that drop out and splatters it on the paper. I'm new so I'm not sure if this is normal and you are supposed to blow it out away from your work first and then proceed to spray your work?

Not sure about the patriot, But i know about the blobs....
Make sure you turn off paint supply (push foward continuing pushing down for air) then stop air if wanting to. I learned this from everyone here....lol
Welcome....Great place

Thanks guys! I'm using Createx paint straight from the bottle. I was deciding between this kit or just buying the AB and other stuff by itself and using my shop compressor. I ended up with this because I wanted a quiet compressor to practice in the house at night.

Do you think I should get another AB? I was looking at the Badger Patriot but not sure.

It seems that there is a drop of paint on the tip and when I press for air, it blows that drop out and splatters it on the paper. I'm new so I'm not sure if this is normal and you are supposed to blow it out away from your work first and then proceed to spray your work?

Createx is VERY thick paint, it's meant for Large Airbrush Nozzles at a High PSI, mostly for Textiles. The recommendation on the bottle is 45-50 PSI if I recall properly, but your nozzle size will effect that number anyway. When I use Createx I generally reduce 3 parts reducer 1 part paint. That is usually my minimum reduction for Createx unless I am spraying huge areas just blasting on paint. Most of my Airbrushes are a .3mm nozzle or less so your mileage may vary.

What is your goal for painting? Auto, Illustration, Textile? For General Purpose reasonably priced paint for practice/general pieces, try Spectra Tex, it's much better than standard Createx(in my opinon).
I bought 16oz bottles of Createx and I only use it for practice for mixing color or practice drills.

Note - Don't get me wrong, Createx makes great paints for Illustration/Auto, but the textile blend is not that great.

Last edited:
man get in the future a talon or krome or a iwata eclipse.cheap nice and good!!!with those three nothing can go wrong as a starter!!!:angel:

also a grex!!!

Eclipse great all rounder......patriot great for base coating and work horse for slightly less detail work.....talon and krome fantastic detail brushes at a reasonable price.....stock with your brush for the meen time, learn the paint that you have.....may as well use what you have while you are learning early stages then invest in better paint and brush.....compressor will serve you well til you are sure this is for you and you want to upgrade...hope that helps

I'm thinking of taking ad Fez's advice and practicing with what I have for the mean time but I think I want a Iwata hp-cs or a Badger Krome. I want to do photo drawings and whatever other cool stuff:D

Back