Is it possible to airbrush directly into spray painted metal?

SovietStingray

Young Tutorling
Hello all, I've been asked to airbrush some stuff into my niece's toolbox which has been spray painted bright pink. My question is can I airbrush directly into the spray paint without much trouble?
It's most likely an oil based paint so im unsure if it will adhere well.
If I cannot what will I need to do? Is there some kind of sealer that I could used first to allow me to do it or will I need to sand off all the paint and try and match the rest of the box when I repaint it?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Stingray. I’m not an expert on oil based paint, but if you can find a compatible spear coat, that can be applied over the existing paint. Once it’s dried it can be lightly scuffed and you’re good to go with painting over the top.

Hi Stingray. I’m not an expert on oil based paint, but if you can find a compatible spear coat, that can be applied over the existing paint. Once it’s dried it can be lightly scuffed and you’re good to go with painting over the top.

Cool, thanks a lot. I really didn't want to have to strip all the paint of the thing and do it all from scratch. This gives be a bit of confidence going forward

You will want to scuff the surface so the airbrush paint has a good tooth to hold too.
Not scuffing can result badly if you need to use tape in anyway

If you sand well. And using a waterbasis airbrush paint you will have no problems.
They only start when you spray it in the varnish.
First test which varnish works well on the aerosol paint.

Back