Is My New H&S Evolution Defective?

C

Chrisk-K

I received a H&S Evolution AB yesterday. I have issues with the trigger.
-It seems that the trigger cannot be seated correctly, or that the airbrush shell (i.e., tube) is mis-manufactured. When I press the trigger to let the air out, the front part of it creates friction with the shell. That gives me an unpleasant tactile feel (you know, metal-to-metal friction is a terrible thing to feel). When I let go of the trigger, it doesn’t pop up immediately due to friction. I re-seated the trigger but the problem persists.
-The trigger is a little bit loose even though I tightened the trigger tension screw all the way. The trigger moves about 1mm before it starts to pull the needle back.
So, do you think this AB is defective? I’m disappointed because I’ve heard good things about H&S.

wow im having a bit of trouble answering that one h ands usualy make an awesome gun are you 100 % sure it is assembled correctly it almost sounds like its not try taking it apart carefully and re assemble itit should be idiot proof meaning any one can do it the whole trigger assembly should come out in one piece I believe the bottom of the trigger should be like a ball bearing thsat sits on the air valve there should not be any contact from the trigger to the airbrush body at all see what the other people here woill say once there done with opening there gifts later today i hope it works oot I hate seeing people being let down by bad airbrushes

I heard great things too about H&S and bought an Evolution silverline 2 in 1 which had the same issues to start with although I managed to sort that out still had nothing but problems with it, it has since been destroyed to avoid further grief, and not just for me, but anyone who might have been stupid enough to buy from me.

Did you buy it in a shop or online?, if you can I would send it back or contact your vendor and make sure they what s going on, I made the mistake of waiting until the guarantee was up, considering the price of your Infinity I wouldn't take that chance.

There are many here who swear by H&S, I personally wouldn't have anything else from them even if it was free, I plan on buying the Iwata HPC+ but it will not leave the shop until I see it working, airbrushes whatever make are delicate and expensive items and due to experience I can only call online purchasing of these financial suicide.

I hope you get sorted, do let us know, although you could try to fix the problem yourself with some advice form here, if it's new DON'T TOUCH IT, let the vendor or manufacturer sort it out.

I hope you get sorted, do let us know, although you could try to fix the problem yourself with some advice form here, if it's new DON'T TOUCH IT, let the vendor or manufacturer sort it out.

Bolded, underlined and italicized for truth. No matter how you feel about brand loyalty, or the disappointment of waiting a little bit longer.....let the manufacturer fix it or ry and make it right if it's brand new. Would you try and fix a problem with your brand new car, or brand new house ( correct answer is NO)?

Just for reference to Angle, this is what the trigger should look like seated.(this is an AL plus, but they are all the same design)
My trigger was a little stiff right away, but after putting some Needle Juice on the trigger shaft and cycling the trigger a few times it went away.
I don't understand the problem with pulling the trigger back and the needle not moving, it should move immediately, the only thing that could make that happen is an improper seating of the trigger or the Needle Chuck is not tight/slipping.
Evolution AL IMG_3355.jpg

There is an adjustment for trigger tension(for air) if you take off the Quick Disconnect on the bottom. This screw sets how soft it is to press down on the trigger.
Evolution AL IMG_3354.jpg

Here is a video review with assembly/disassembly if you need it. The disassembly starts at 9:07 in the video.
[video=youtube;eMHcQGpRhX8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMHcQGpRhX8[/video]

If you are in the US and are still having problems, contact H&S USA, their email address is on this site Precision German Airbrush

There are many here who swear by H&S, I personally wouldn't have anything else from them even if it was free, I plan on buying the Iwata HPC+ but it will not leave the shop until I see it working, airbrushes whatever make are delicate and expensive items and due to experience I can only call online purchasing of these financial suicide.

Too bad you threw it away, I could have traded you my HP-CH even up.

Another thing to check, would be to remove the air valve see if something is sticking. As in my post above, the screw in the air valve came very tight on my AL Plus, I put a little Needle Juice on the Valve Stem with the tip of a toothpick(the little tip at the bottom of the picture). There is a PTFE seal that the valve goes through, it could possibly be binding as well.
123353.gif

I know on my Iwata's if I do not clean it well and leave paint near the needle packing the needle will stick. Almost this same issue, the needle dries in the leftover paint and nothing, had to grab the last one with pliers. Then disassemble the brush and remove a big wad of dried paint from the needle before it would come out. Lesson learned, clean brushes better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Too bad you threw it away, I could have traded you my HP-CH even up.

I had to throw it, I had a full year of grief from it always the same problem, it would pull fine lines for about 2 or 3 minutes and then suddenly just spurt paint all over the place, some said that that might a have been from the compressor but I've been using the same compressor for my Neo and cheap brushes with no problems whatsoever.

As you advise here, one has to know how to strip and care for their equipment, but Chris says he received his brush yesterday, which makes me think it's brand new, if this is the case and he thinks there is a fault, he should let H&S check it out, if he strips it himself without a little knowledge, he could do more harm than good and annul his guarantee, I'm sure you agree we don't want that to happen to anybody, airbrushing is fun if we can just eliminate the little frustrations that sometimes come with it.

I have my eye on the Iwata HPC+ with 0.2 nozzle, once I've saved for it, the shop where I intend to buy it are happy to demo it and even let me try it myself, I don't doubt the quality but understandably I now have trust issues, so I need to see it work, I have very little faith in the so called test piece that comes in the box.

For the time being, my Neo and cheapies are doing just fine, lol

one last thing to check is that the spring adjusting screw is in all the way . I know this sounds strange but I was showing off how flawless my micron was to some body and i could not get it to work properly to save my life and i was in a mad rush i didn't realize the screw was backed out all the way after tightening it it worked flawlessly again . it was spraying paint with the trigger all the way forward and not responding to the trigger at all . also i didn't say to try and fix it they are awesome airbrushes i would just make sure its assembled correctly. good luck with it .
personaly I am siding with mad i would not care to have any thing to do with h and s its not realy bad euipment its just i find the .15 neele to delicate for the way i air brush ,,,up close and fast with out the protective cap . the micron cmsb does a finer job and i plan to get the micron cmc plus asap

The bottom part of the trigger actually makes contact with the shell. If I insert a small piece of paper between the trigger and the shell, I feel no metal-to-metal friction and pressing it gives me a smooth feel. So the air valve assembly seems fine. I already tightened the spring adjusting screw all the way, and there still is a 1 mm dead zone where pulling back the trigger doesn't move the needle. This makes it difficult to accurately spray fine lines. To be honest, overall, the H&S Evolution doesn't seem as well-crafted as my Iwata ABs. In terms of workmanship, even my (relatively cheap) Iwata SAR is superior to the Evolution. Anyway, I bought from Chicagoairbrushsupply. I will contact them and see what they can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottom part of the trigger actually makes contact with the shell. If I insert a small piece of paper between the trigger and the shell, I feel no metal-to-metal friction and pressing it gives me a smooth feel. So the air valve assembly seems fine. I already tightened the spring adjusting screw all the way, and there still is a 1 mm dead zone where pulling back the trigger doesn't move the needle. This makes it difficult to accurately spray fine lines. To be honest, overall, the H&S Evolution doesn't seem as well-crafted as my Iwata ABs. In terms of workmanship, even my (relatively cheap) Iwata SAR is superior to the Evolution. Anyway, I bought from Chicagoairbrushsupply. I will contact them and see what they can do.

Which part of the trigger makes contact? The ball joint?
There is no needle spring tension adjustment on the Evolution, are you referring to the screw for the air valve, that I pictured above? Unlike an Iwata, that screw allows for tension adjustment on the trigger(downward) for air. If you are having that big of a lag on getting paint, something is wrong. My AL Plus and Infinity almost no trigger lag in them. If you aren't happy with it, CAS may give you a replacement, or a credit. Otherwise, if you have any troubles with them. Contact H&S USA from the site I listed in my other post. It is info@germanairbrush dot com. I had a recent issue with a bad nozzle, and they replaced it for free.

if all else fails stick to iwata and badger renegade lol seriously

For starters, the screw treads of various parts of the H&S Evo are not perfectly cut, compared to those of my Iwata ABs. Maybe, I should buy an Iwata HP-B+. My Iwata SAR & HP-CS can perfectly do 95% of what I need. I occasionally need to spray very fine lines. That's why I need an AB w/ a .2mm nozzle.

I recently purchased an Infinity CR+ to try out and also learned about this "free play" during the initial pull-back on the trigger. I thought my particular airbrush was machined slightly off and contacted H&S and after I showed them a video of the "free play" was told it seems normal and within tolerance of all the Infinity airbrushes, needless to say I was disappointed. I purchased the airbrush because of the German precision and wanted to try something different.....I promptly put the airbrush back in its box and never used it again......free play in an airbrush that uses a .15 needle/nozzle doesn't seem acceptable to me as a freehand airbrush! The culprit is the trigger guide which is machined with an oblong orifice to allow the trigger to thread through it, it's this same hole that dictates the design need for free play to recline smoothly.....while beautiful in execution, the design is flawed in my opinion. It's a shame as the airbrush is superb in every other aspect and is a work of art in itself.
I'm aware there are artists that are creating amazing works of art with the CR's but they've simply accustomed themselves to this free play and work accordingly. If H&S were to remedy the free play in the trigger I'd purchase one immediately, as for now I have a $350 airbrush (purchased with spare needle nozzle) that will never get used!
-just my personal experience, observation-
Anyone want a new CR?

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently purchased an Infinity CR+ to try out and also learned about this "free play" during the initial pull-back on the trigger. I thought my particular airbrush was machined slightly off and contacted H&S and after I showed them a video of the "free play" was told it seems normal and within tolerance of all the Infinity airbrushes, needless to say I was disappointed. I purchased the airbrush because of the German precision and wanted to try something different.....I promptly put the airbrush back in its box and never used it again......free play in an airbrush that uses a .15 needle/nozzle doesn't seem acceptable to me as a freehand airbrush! The culprit is the trigger guide which is machined with an oblong orifice to allow the trigger to thread through it, it's this same hole that dictates the design need for free play to recline smoothly.....while beautiful in execution, the design is flawed in my opinion. It's a shame as the airbrush is superb in every other aspect and is a work of art in itself.
I'm aware there are artists that are creating amazing works of art with the CR's but they've simply accustomed themselves to this free play and work accordingly. If H&S were to remedy the free play in the trigger I'd purchase one immediately, as for now I have a $350 airbrush (purchased with spare needle nozzle) that will never get used!
-just my personal experience, observation-
Anyone want a new CR?

I have an Infinity and AL Plus. I have no slop in either trigger. The only time I have seen what you are describing is if the trigger tension screw is too loose. Have you tried emailing the H&S US headquarters? I gave their email address a few posts ago.

Actually I recorded the free play and sent it to the importers and when they checked it, it was considered normal for the CR. They admitted it does have this free play as a result of the trigger guide.

Actually I recorded the free play and sent it to the importers and when they checked it, it was considered normal for the CR. They admitted it does have this free play as a result of the trigger guide.

From my experience what you are seeing is not normal. Do you have the video? The only airbrush I own that is more responsive than the H&S's is the Micron.

It's not actually that the airbrush is not responsive- my issue is with a tiny amount of movement that doesn't retract the needle because of a small amount of free play that hinders the "expectation" of when paint should actually spray as to when it actually "does"..........this video isn't the best example but see here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpvypjb9f7ilycv/InfinityCR720.mov

Because 95% of my airbrushing is freehand without stencils or tape- I really rely on the precise nature of the airbrush when expecting spray and this hesitation is why I don't use it myself.........other than that- it's a spectacular airbrush.

I do not have any slop in my infinity or evolution at all. Only time I have problems is when there is paint stuck where it should not be. I can fully understand your problem but I went back and checked my Evolution and Infinity and none had the amount of play in your Video.

I LOVE MY INFINITY AND WILL STICK BY IT, lol SERIOUSLY

O, by the way I would take that CR!!!! And I hope to buy my Evoluton AL plus in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Back