Is the micron worth the money?

Unfortunately(and I do mean unfortunately) I work in the motor trade where everything is updated on an almost daily basis( vw I,m looking at you!), so it,s kinda imbedded in me to think newer is better, but I also know that newer also can mean absolute rip off!

But the new ones are SO much better, and if you get one you will become an instantly famous artist, with untold riches (work with me here guys), and the opposite sex will throw themselves at you, and all your dreams will come true!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't want those old, POS microns, with no life changing benefits.

What she said :p

Hi guys, i seem to have stirred up a bit of a hornets nest amongst a few of you guys by starting this thread, whoops, sorry, didn't think things would get so heated! So without trying to annoy anyone any further( I hope!), I can see the majority of you seem to go with the micron as being worth the money and that's great, i was kinda swaying that way its just my heart and mind (not to mention my wallet!)were in conflict!.I don,t want to buy something I might regret and it seems If i invest in a micron i won't, so at the risk of stirring it up again here goes!.....if I can pick up an original micron cmc for around £250 or whatever, would I be better off getting the version 2 with its extra bells and whistles for the extra financial outlay? do the NEW changes make the original lesser of a brush?
Again, I don,t want to start a row over it!,it's a lot of money to part with so I want to get it right and I do appreciate any opinion, I know opinions vary but if the best IS the best for all the right reasons, then that's where I,ll invest my cash! Thanks guys!

Don't worry about it, you didn't stir up anything. From what I have read in this thread, there hasn't been any Micron owners who have regretted their purchase. The only way I could see someone regretting it is if they quit airbrushing shortly after or if they are clumsy and damage it a lot. If you can get one at a discount, then go for it. The trigger is the only real functional difference. I used a V2 CM-SB at Dru Blair's class the trigger just feels a little different. I have the CMC+ with the old trigger and it's just what I'm used to. I'm sure if I got a V2, I'd adjust in no time.

Oh Yeah, forgot about that. Since getting my CM-SB2 I have had women throwing themselves at me!
err sorry typo, should have been woman.

If I forked out the money for a new micron I'd have a woman throwing plates at me.

@Troyster I would personally go for the discounted older model, the fact that there is a newer version does not mean the older version has suddenly become substandard.

I've used both and can't notice any difference performance wise. The trigger is larger and really soft, but i can't remember if the original CM-SB has a softer trigger than the CM-C's. The CM-C definitely has a harder trigger than the CM-SB2, so the CM-SB2 is more comfortable to use for extended periods of time.

If I forked out the money for a new micron I'd have a woman throwing plates at me.

@Troyster I would personally go for the discounted older model, the fact that there is a newer version does not mean the older version has suddenly become substandard.
Ha, mine saw me ogling over one on the internet, told me to get it.
I should add that it's the only thing I've ogled on the internet that she has told me to get. :D

I've used both and can't notice any difference performance wise. The trigger is larger and really soft, but i can't remember if the original CM-SB has a softer trigger than the CM-C's. The CM-C definitely has a harder trigger than the CM-SB2, so the CM-SB2 is more comfortable to use for extended periods of time.
The trigger is softer. It feels similar to my HP-CH with a Zsolts spring, so I'm assuming the $5 soft spring replacement might be an option if going with the old model.

When I first got mine, I was a little frustrated with it as it was well made but was somewhat finicky . I spray Illustration Createx and I have found that the Micron seems to be somewhat inconsistent(I use the 1.8) Once it is dialed in, it does a great job but that never seem to stay that way. Tip dry is a real problem for me, so you are constantly cleaning the needle and just a small amount will make a big difference as this is a "detail" brush. Like anything, there is a learning curve with this brush. I do use it (CM-SB) for everything except backgrounds. I did put a Dru Blair soft spring in it and really like that-they are worth the $28.00. Like someone said above, it isn't a magic wand, but the quality of the gun and of the spray (you do have to work at it to maintain it though) is what sets it apart from other brushes.

@rdawk hey bud, the inconsistency of spray I'd attribute to createx illustration colors.. They are quite heavily pigmented.
Using com-art/ etac flow is better and MUCH less tip dry, but coverage and drying times not as good either [emoji53]

After going through this thread I am almost convinced to get a micron myself...before, I wouldn't even have considered it...but you guys are making me think I need one! LOL!

When I first got mine, I was a little frustrated with it as it was well made but was somewhat finicky . I spray Illustration Createx and I have found that the Micron seems to be somewhat inconsistent(I use the 1.8) Once it is dialed in, it does a great job but that never seem to stay that way. Tip dry is a real problem for me, so you are constantly cleaning the needle and just a small amount will make a big difference as this is a "detail" brush. Like anything, there is a learning curve with this brush. I do use it (CM-SB) for everything except backgrounds. I did put a Dru Blair soft spring in it and really like that-they are worth the $28.00. Like someone said above, it isn't a magic wand, but the quality of the gun and of the spray (you do have to work at it to maintain it though) is what sets it apart from other brushes.

I regulary use createx illustration in my CM-SB and don't have those problems. I do always reduce it with some E'tac transparant base (1 color, 1 base, 2 water) so half the paint is realy E'tac. The micron is pretty picky when it comes to paint and reduction (I've always had problems with schmincke for instance) but I gues that is all part of the learning curve.

After going through this thread I am almost convinced to get a micron myself...before, I wouldn't even have considered it...but you guys are making me think I need one! LOL!

That's what we do. Our purpose in life is to help others spend their paychecks. ;)

@rdawk hey bud, the inconsistency of spray I'd attribute to createx illustration colors.. They are quite heavily pigmented.
Using com-art/ etac flow is better and MUCH less tip dry, but coverage and drying times not as good either [emoji53]

As Mitch said, CI is heavily pigmented, between that and the difference in binders, reduction ratios are critical. I can make CI spray like ETAC by reducing quite a bit, but I have yet to get rid of the Tip Dry problem.
Every airbrush I have is picky with Wicked and CI, except maybe my Patriot 105, but I attribute that to the .5 nozzle. ETAC and Com-Art spray well through all my brushes.

If this thread makes you feel a need, you probably don't need one. ;)

Also remember that the cost won't stop when you have paid for your Micron. It start to go down when you have bought your third, and feel that number four must wait until you can find one on sale. ;)

Can I just ask you micron owners, what exactly do you mean by it, s a picky or finicky brush?, I may be missing something as I haven,t had the pleasure of using one, but would that not be down to tha viscosity of the paint/ink that your using?, would this not also be true of similar sized brushes like the Infinity etc? Only asking as I want a detail gun and pound for pound the infinity 0.15 and mojo 3 seem to stack up pretty well, haven,t heard anything about either of those being finicky, but again I,ve never used either of them, only going on feedback!, a precision devise in any form is always delicate, a supercar for example, but out of interest what stands the micron apart to make it this finicky beast?

Can I just ask you micron owners, what exactly do you mean by it, s a picky or finicky brush?, I may be missing something as I haven,t had the pleasure of using one, but would that not be down to tha viscosity of the paint/ink that your using?, would this not also be true of similar sized brushes like the Infinity etc? Only asking as I want a detail gun and pound for pound the infinity 0.15 and mojo 3 seem to stack up pretty well, haven,t heard anything about either of those being finicky, but again I,ve never used either of them, only going on feedback!, a precision devise in any form is always delicate, a supercar for example, but out of interest what stands the micron apart to make it this finicky beast?

If it doesn't like the paint you feed up, it will soon let you know and if you don't at least try to please it, don't be surprised if it sneakes into your bedroom when your out like a light and tries to stab you in the neck.

It's a bit like my first wife who divorced me because I clashed with the curtains:confused::)

Dear god! the last thing I want to happen is for a high quality Japanese airbrush to sneak ( god knows how !) into my room while I sleep( never seen this on discovery, but let's go with it!), get a bit ' finicky' or 'picky' and not finish the job coz it,s having a bit of an off day!, those cheap Chinese knock off brushes will take you out cleanly, but they will only work for you once.......! Jez, I,m really losing the thread here, H E L P !

Dear god! the last thing I want to happen is for a high quality Japanese airbrush to sneak ( god knows how !) into my room while I sleep( never seen this on discovery, but let's go with it!), get a bit ' finicky' or 'picky' and not finish the job coz it,s having a bit of an off day!, those cheap Chinese knock off brushes will take you out cleanly, but they will only work for you once.......! Jez, I,m really losing the thread here, H E L P !

LOL, its just case of getting your mixes and pressures right or it might not spray at all, but when it's happy it'll make you happy, or so um led to believe, If you want one get one, from all read and heard you won't be disappointed.

Back