Is the micron worth the money?

Can I just ask you micron owners, what exactly do you mean by it, s a picky or finicky brush?, I may be missing something as I haven,t had the pleasure of using one, but would that not be down to tha viscosity of the paint/ink that your using?, would this not also be true of similar sized brushes like the Infinity etc? Only asking as I want a detail gun and pound for pound the infinity 0.15 and mojo 3 seem to stack up pretty well, haven,t heard anything about either of those being finicky, but again I,ve never used either of them, only going on feedback!, a precision devise in any form is always delicate, a supercar for example, but out of interest what stands the micron apart to make it this finicky beast?

Any airbrush with a small nozzle is going to be more picky with paint reduction. The Micron is the least finicky of the detail brushes because the head system is more efficient. Once you have your paint reductions right, they all work well. Each one just acts slightly different.

I wasn't one of the people that described the micron as finicky. My Micron Is the least likely of all my airbrushes to give me any sort of problem. It's the airbrush that I know will work properly every time I pick it up, so I suppose its the opposite of finicky.

In my honest opinion, the microns aren't much more finicky than any other airbrushes. I would rather say that they need experience to perform at their best.
But, people are probably often expecting to get something magical from them, only because the price, and then gets disappointed when they can't make finer detail with their new airbrush than they could with their HP-B or something similar.
But as I have said before, the real strength of the micron isn't in the fine line capability alone, but the way it atomise paint at low pressure. That, and the smooth and yet still responsive trigger makes it a great airbrush. It's not just that it's so good at so much, but it really hasn't any real weaknesses. Except the price. :)
But for detail alone, almost any quality fine nozzle airbrush will do. And probably save you a bunch of money.

In my eyes, go for the original......foxy studio.com has a sale on the older type , the older type does have a slightly l9nger needle than the v2 but will take the new needles just fine aswell........ go for it![/QUOTE
micron

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't one of the people that described the micron as finicky. My Micron Is the least likely of all my airbrushes to give me any sort of problem. It's the airbrush that I know will work properly every time I pick it up, so I suppose its the opposite of finicky.
I might have said finicky. Sounds like me. Meaning if you don't know how to reduce paint properly, maintain the airbrush, and have enough experience, it can be a bit to get used to.if it was me that is. Totally agree with denstore's comments.

Can I just ask you micron owners, what exactly do you mean by it, s a picky or finicky brush?, I may be missing something as I haven,t had the pleasure of using one, but would that not be down to tha viscosity of the paint/ink that your using?, would this not also be true of similar sized brushes like the Infinity etc? Only asking as I want a detail gun and pound for pound the infinity 0.15 and mojo 3 seem to stack up pretty well, haven,t heard anything about either of those being finicky, but again I,ve never used either of them, only going on feedback!, a precision devise in any form is always delicate, a supercar for example, but out of interest what stands the micron apart to make it this finicky beast?
Hmmm I must have the redneck version of the micron. It is not picky on the paints I use, Only trouble I have ever had with it was due to being heavy handed and twisting the threads off a piece using just my fingers(before any of you thing I used pliers)
Is it worth the money , To me it was but that was after a lot of thinking and deciding if I was ready to actually use it.
Can you get fine detail with other makes of brushes Yes you can . But it seems to me after buying a few more different brands of brushes that is take more effort to get the same result . But this is just my opinion.

Very late to this thread as I play catch up ,all this talk of great atomisation at low psi , this should be the case with most half decant brushes these days my automotive guns even cheap sata knock offs atomise great at 10 psi at the tip with heavy pigmented WB auto paint . My apollo turbine gun is nuts even at 6.5 psi at the tip . So why this tech has not really moved into the AB,s is beyond me . Get your viscosity correct for your ab regardless of brand and it will spray better at lower psi . My Aztec ab can run 5psi on certain nozzles and can pull fine lines if needed with ease . Will I buy a micron after reading all this post ,not yet I would rather and have booked a coarse with Mitch instead as I believe that is where real improvements will come from .

I would add that IMHO comfort and lack of fatigue is IMHO a real big bonus to anyone wanting to AB and I think this is where higher end AB,s are reported to have that lightness of use and smoothness .

now that my weasel colleague and reason why i am not ferret but airbrushing ferret has made his comment i will make mine lol . i have got great results with the infinity but not as great as with my cmsb . for now my infinity has the largest set up available for it and its used for clear coating small parts and hok metallic and candies until i get a good iwata clearing gun. unless your doing allot of small detailed work. or you have enough time under your belt airbrushing stick with getting a chrome or velocity. I personaly did not like the needles for the infinity as they bend if you blow on them lol . theres nothing that compares to a cmsb or a cmc+ period

lol i was going to just use ferret as my user name but ferret beet me to it so i decided on airbrushing ferret

and he only beat you to it by a week...... aint that a kick in the female reproductive organ

only because i was having trouble finding the forum lol. that was in the very big inning of my ab career when my bad ger 150 was driving me crazy . boy was that velocity a huge step up. the 150 had a bad needle bearing . i can say that now for sure. I wont by an airbrush ever again unless it has a removable or adjustable needle seal . another reason to stick with the best , badger renegade series, infinity, iwata in order of cheapest to most expensive. but unless your rich and can afford to drop the money on a micron i would say only buy one if your getting real good and if you want to do small works.

Back