For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Is there a good knock off?

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Seamonkey, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Seamonkey

Seamonkey Air-Valve Autobot!

Has anyone used the "MASTER" brand airbrush from tcpglobal.com I am very curious to the pro versus cons of this brush. I am looking to get more gravity fed brushes so i wont have to change colors as often. I am a firm believer that its the artist not the brush but i do have expensive taste (iwata). I have an hp-cs and a micron for fine detail but master has a set of 6 that i think would be great for when i do flames or backgrounds. Would love to hear your opinions on this brand. Thanks for reading.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  2. ferret

ferret Needle-chuck Ninja

I have not heard of this brand ,but i know a fella who use`s chinese VEDA` 130/180 ab`s and really raves about them and judging by his work i am in no position to disagree .I think these were $20 and $30 dollars each .
  3. FirePanther

FirePanther Young Tutorling

4. pjmack15

pjmack15 Young Tutorling

Great link. Thank you
  5. Craig

Craig Young Tutorling

I keep seeing the VEDA 130/180 popping up and haven't seen a bad word about it yet, I may have to give them a go :)
  6. Seamonkey

thanks!! all that i read was it would be what i was looking for to do the tru fire with. i just hate changing colors all the time cause of all the steps that i takes. like i said there are 6 of them in the set for $160, and i will have my iwatas and dager's for more of the fine art side of airbrushing!!! i know they are not the best aibrushes but they will be perfect for this application
  7. Stranger375

Stranger375 Young Tutorling

Hi there, i do have 2 chinese airbrushes besides my H&S and my Iwata and i use them to throw the colors on the canvas when i practice my fire. The ones i have are not the best to do freehand detail work for sure, but to apply some color to your flames
    they should do fine.
  8. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I have a a no-name BD-130 and BD-132 on loan from a friend and they work perfectly. Their finish is just a bit off but otherwise they work great. They came with .2mm setups but I can get the same detail with my .3mm Eclipse.
  9. OzAirbrush

OzAirbrush Spider Splatterer

To answer your topic question, not really :)

The highlighted text above may well be true and a good artist, tradesman or whatever can create a good job with almost anything. The real argument against cheap tools is how much more easily they can achieve the same results if not better ;)

There's nothing more frustrating with airbrushing than when your paint is not spraying right but when it does spray right it's almost magic how good it feels to lay down paint just how you like without fighting all the way. Yes, a cheap ab or any tools may do this for you, but for how long??

Always buy the best you can afford, wait that extra week or 2 (or more) and save for something better if you can, it's worth it.

As far as a good alround and cheap ab to get started with or as a spare it's hard to go past the Paasche VL or Talon, very sturdy and reliable ab's, they just aren't as fashionable these days :)
    Another not so well known brand is Grex*, they are very affordable and top quality, as good as any I'd say but more affordable. Well worth a look.

* Disclaimer, I do use and sell Grex gear but I wouldn't if it wasn't any good.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  10. Seamonkey

11. s2art

s2art Young Tutorling

12. Seamonkey

My favorites are iwata, i have 3. Dont think anything can touch my micron but will it perform with a iwata quality wise?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
  13. OzAirbrush

OzAirbrush Spider Splatterer

14. Brian_e

Brian_e Young Tutorling

Veda 180

I Ordered my veda 180 on 24 April and got it on 22 May. Looks a lot like the Iwata cm c plus. Make sure you clean and lube it before you use it the first time and check that the trigger is round the right way, mine was back to front causing it to catch when depressed. Now works smooth as silk. :adoration:
  15. Pingi

Pingi Young Tutorling

I have a veda 180 too, and mine is a total crap. I've lubed it and it's a little better now but still catches sometimes.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
  16. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

No and yes, the comments above suggest their issue, one will work fine, the next one won't, it is really hit or miss as to if you get a good one..Saying that a knock off to me is a chinese (Or other country) replication of a known gun built with inferior components and machining..Saying that there are cheaper brands like the master series that I wouldn't so much call a knock off as they have design differences to a degree and many swear that they do the job fine....The cheaper brands are for sure getting better, even the knockoffs are so it is a viable starting point if you can't afford more, the main issue with them is you'll never quite know if the gun is causing the issue or you are..If you can afford to, buy a good quality name brand gun, as the other major benefit with them is they come with a warranty and easy to find replacement parts and will last the distance....