Iwata being returned due to poor quality

D

donec

Ok I see all over the net about how great Iwata is so I go and buy one get it home and at first it seems pretty good looking and threads feel quite smooth, but trigger is just so so. Then I notice a small bubble under the chrome at the bottom of the bowl and then put it down and read the instructions. I also notice I did not get any spray pattern for the brush that it seems comes with all Iwata brushes. then I go looking at it again and find on the otherside 4 more bubbles under the chrome that when you touch them they grow.

As I see it either I got a properly branded knock off a second quality brush simply a mistake or maybe I am just designated to get bad brushes. In any event (because everyone swears by Iwata) I will try and exchange it for a new one and hope it is good. What a let down.

What brush is it brother? I don't know for sure as I havnt owned an iwata myself but I thought it was just the micron you get the spray pattern test card with....as for the chrome issue thats poor stuff

Which brush and where did you buy it.
When you first buy any airbrush you want to make sure of a few things .
First remove the handle and pull the needle in and out to make sure you feel the tension of the needle bearing hitting and sealing against the needle.
Then ensure that the needle is seated all the way.
Only the high end Iwata's come with the spray out.
But you can find some of the lower end models that come with them too depending on if they had to tool up again on the line.
So the spray card not being there is not really an issue.
But like anything made today there is a chance that a mis-made one makes it way to a store.

That's crap mate, sorry to hear about it. I received my Hp-cs the other day and I had a test spray card in mine and the quality seems awesome!. I can't see iwata letting that off the end of line in that condition. Where did you buy it from?

It's an HP-CS I got from Hobby Lobby. I'm not relly concerned about the card but since others got them I thought it could be a Not Iwata brush but just a copy eventhough everything looks legit. I did take it apart and it seemed ok bud just a little dried black paint on the middle of the needle and the trigger felt like it stuck just before going down. I didn't run any air or anything through it since with the chrome issue I knew I would return it.

Is there any chance this was a return to Hobby Lobby by some other unhappy customer? I bought my HP-CS from Chicago Airbrush and it didn't come with a test card but it is an awesome brush.

Is there any chance this was a return to Hobby Lobby by some other unhappy customer? I bought my HP-CS from Chicago Airbrush and it didn't come with a test card but it is an awesome brush.
I thought about that but it was not in any kind of plastic wrap just taped so I can't be sure. The tape was thiner than the normal home tape and not frosted. Also the area around the tape was not messed up in any way I could detect.

Strange that there is paint residue but no test card. Exchange for a new one mate, you won't be disappointed :)

Some Hobby Lobby do repack returns if the customer just tells them they did not like it.
So you could have gotten a return.
Also make sure you always print out Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon it saves you a lot of cash.

Ok I see all over the net about how great Iwata is so I go and buy one get it home and at first it seems pretty good looking and threads feel quite smooth, but trigger is just so so. Then I notice a small bubble under the chrome at the bottom of the bowl and then put it down and read the instructions. I also notice I did not get any spray pattern for the brush that it seems comes with all Iwata brushes. then I go looking at it again and find on the otherside 4 more bubbles under the chrome that when you touch them they grow.

As I see it either I got a properly branded knock off a second quality brush simply a mistake or maybe I am just designated to get bad brushes. In any event (because everyone swears by Iwata) I will try and exchange it for a new one and hope it is good. What a let down.

This sounds like an ideal tool to add to my collection, it would go nicely with my Evolution, although I'm not sure it would much of a conversation piece since I have tendency to want to murder someone when I get started on the subject.

I think like me, you got the Monday brush, and this was no ordinary Monday, oh no, this Monday, the checker was off with a sever doze of crabs, and the guy who made the brush had lost both his eyes 2 weeks previously after an horrific snowboarding accident in the Dutch Himalayas and they didn't have the heart fire him because it was his wife who infected the checker in the first place, and on the same day the packers dropped a full case of micron needles form the roof where they were all enjoying a cigarette, and when they asked the management what should they do, the management said, stick one in Donec's brush and save one for Madbrush and simply trash the rest.

This would explain to some extent the absence of a spray test in the box.

I feel your pain, I really do, but some people are put on this earth to be happy and merry and some are here to be tested, welcome to my side of the fence.

What is it with me and airbrushes? 2 bad Talons, 1 bad NEO, 1 bad Chinese knock off (but surprisingly smooth), 1 bad Iwata HP CS and now the second Iwata HP CS looks good feels good but the nozzle is stuck and wont come out the nozzle cap comes off easy enough but the nozzle is stuck into the body of the brush. I am afraid to push on it as it may get damaged. Should I return it or is there an easy fix?

I thought about taking it apart removing the air valve and placing the body in the freezer to make the metal shrink but don't know how that would effect the needle seal or anything else. We did this in the Navy to seal guide bearings that had a very tight fit.

BTW it looks like nothing is wrong with the Omni 4000.

What is it with me and airbrushes? 2 bad Talons, 1 bad NEO, 1 bad Chinese knock off (but surprisingly smooth), 1 bad Iwata HP CS and now the second Iwata HP CS looks good feels good but the nozzle is stuck and wont come out the nozzle cap comes off easy enough but the nozzle is stuck into the body of the brush. I am afraid to push on it as it may get damaged. Should I return it or is there an easy fix?

I thought about taking it apart removing the air valve and placing the body in the freezer to make the metal shrink but don't know how that would effect the needle seal or anything else. We did this in the Navy to seal guide bearings that had a very tight fit.

BTW it looks like nothing is wrong with the Omni 4000.

All i can say is...dont be around me when i order a new airbrush lol. But seriously, you need to watch those major retailers like hobby lobby rather than a airbrush only company. Its happened with my family getting something used thats "new". Also Airbrushes are so fragile and when people that arent very professional and dont package it right then this will happen, or maybe Madbrush was right with his story lol. Try ordering from a different, more legit company(chicago airbrush, or where mitch orders from, cant remember) Thats all i got. Sorry for your horrifically awful bad luck mate

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, maybe you would like to take my airbrush poll now? lmao but really, I hope they fix you up bud...good luck!

All i can say is...dont be around me when i order a new airbrush lol. But seriously, you need to watch those major retailers like hobby lobby rather than a airbrush only company. Its happened with my family getting something used thats "new". Also Airbrushes are so fragile and when people that arent very professional and dont package it right then this will happen, or maybe Madbrush was right with his story lol. Try ordering from a different, more legit company(chicago airbrush, or where mitch orders from, cant remember) Thats all i got. Sorry for your horrifically awful bad luck mate

I've always had good expiriences with chicagoairbrushsupply.com and coastairbrush.com. Even on the rare occasions that there's been anything wrong, they've both always been quick to fix things and usually throw in a few goodies for my trouble. There are 2 or 3 places locally that have any airbrush stuff at all (one being a Hobby Lobby), and they usually don't have much of anything in stock, and have absolutely no clue what they're doing. So, it's just easier for me to get my supplies online. Who you buy from is sometimes as important as what you buy. As far as the nozzle situation, it's not uncommon with HP-CS's for the nozzle and that cone-piece-thingy to stick in the airbrush body. Both the cone and airbrush body are made of brass, which is a soft metal. The air cap uses pressure to hold everything in place. Sometimes things stay in place a little too well, especially when new. I usually will use a needle-nose pliers and SOFTLY work it loose. It shouldn't take hardly any pressure at all. Just be careful when you do it to make sure the nozzle has something nice and soft to land on (and that any nearby sink drains are closed).

I agree with HCP. I have the same with my HP-SBS (side feed version of the HP-CS) where the nozzle seems like it's stuck but with a little gentle persuasion it comes loose. It happens on and off even after using it for a while.

I can imagine with your past record with airbrushes you immediately think something's wrong but this time it's ok so don't worry.
Cheers Mel

Thanks for all the support from everyone.

I tried again with my thumb and no change and then I noticed that there was a narrow area as the cone entered the body so I decide to try and pry it out with some wire cutters that I could easily control keeping them from closing and just use them to lift the nozzle out with counter pressure against the body. As I picked up the brush with the cap off and the wire cutters in my hand the nozzle just fell out. I guess you could say I scared it out.:triumphant: Anyway I put a little Paasche lube on the nozzle, needle and a couple other places and will be giving it a try today. I hope it is as good as everyone says. I'd say I hope it's better than I am but that would be too easy. It really feels nice and looks good too.

Back