For Every Airbrush Artist!

Want to see more forum, less google ads ? Then register for free

Register

Iwata came to the rescue

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Kim McCann, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Kim McCann

Kim McCann Mac-Valve Maestro!

I am a big fan of Iwata, and pretty much have one of all their brushes at this point.

Well, recently, because I am a clumsy oaf, I ding'd my needle on a painting and predictably it damaged the nozzle too. So I bought a few new needle/nozzle sets as I was nearly out. I had one spare, but no more.

Well, I left my spare and went to use the new nozzles. The first - cup bubbles. Under a loupe, it had a V shaped hole on one side of the nozzle as if something had worn through that side. Annoying, but sometimes you get bad luck.

The second, I got half way in with the little wrench, and using just a single finger to turn it, and it sheared right off near the top of the threads without going in further. I barely even felt it when it happened.

So off to my old spare. 100% no problem, back in business.

So I thought to maybe let Iwata know. I was kinda pissed I was out almost $200 in nozzles (micron nozzles are pricey), but able to keep working, so I could let that slide. But... if my local retailer was getting bad product, or there was an issue in the new run of nozzles, I figured I'd let Iwata know, as the quality control clearly had slipped. 30 years of no problems with Iwata parts, but then two in a row. Also the replacement needles were not properly sharp. That's less of an issue, as I sharpen and polish mine anyway. Factor finish is never great.

So I dropped them a line with details, receipts, etc. I said in my message that wasn't expecting anything, but could they please look into the quality control of the nozzles, because I can't afford to have that happen again, and would hate to have to consider third party parts if this was an ongoing problem.

So today they called me. An actual company customer service person called me up to apologize, and to send me two new complete fluid head systems to make up for it, and to put me in touch with a service tech to talk about what had happened. Attentive, helpful, and the service tech even offered to source a part for me in restoring a very, very old Iwata branded compressor that isn't quite what she once was.

They are sending me a box to return the bad parts so they can inspect them, are checking to make sure that something didn't go wrong with a run, or someone ended up getting fakes and sending out more replacement parts than the actual bad parts.

10 years ago I had an Iwata compressor fail 5 years after purchase, and when I inquired about service, sight unseeen they sent me a replacement. Wow 5 years after purchase!

Absolutely stellar service.

So I just wanted to give Kudos to them, and relay a positive customer service story.

When people ask me what I spend the extra money on Iwata stuff, it is this right here. They 100% stand by their products. In 30 years this is the first time I've had any issues with nozzles or fluid head parts, everything has always been top quality. But when something goes wrong, Iwata stand up to the plate.

So, I tell you, it's worth the extra pennies. In the long run, if you paint every day, you will actually save money.

So while I have a small army of various brushes from different companies, I keep coming back to my Iwatas.
  2. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Wow, that is good customer service.

Lee
    LadyCharlie and Kim McCann like this.
  3. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Very Likeable!

Awesome. Im an Iwata gal. Just love 'em.
    LadyCharlie, jord001 and Kim McCann like this.
  4. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

That’s really impressive.
    LadyCharlie and jord001 like this.
  5. Kim McCann

Holy smokes. Did Iwata ever come through. I just got my replacement package from them. I am sitting here looking at 4 complete micron fluid head systems at a loss for words.

Not only did they replace the bad items, they shipped me 4 complete micron fluid head systems as a mea culpa. That's about 800 Canadian pesos worth of replacement parts. I am stunned. The CSR did say they'd ship me a little extra to make up for the problem, but this just left me speechless.

I have never had customer service anywhere close to as good as Iwata with any other company, airbrush related or not.

I know their stuff tends to be a bit higher priced than the competition, but every penny of that is worth ten times the difference.
    LadyCharlie, jord001 and JackEb like this.
  6. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

I'm so pleased you had a great outcome. We all hope that companies will stand by their product and reputation but when they go above and beyond like they have with you then it brings a smile to your face and shows others that the initial cost is peace of mind if they do have a problem down the track. :thumbsup:
    LadyCharlie, jord001 and Kim McCann like this.
  7. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Staff Member Admin Mod

I am pleased they helped you. I myself didn't get that kind of help from them when the threads on a new head system can missed threaded.But it is good to hear they took care of you.
    Kim McCann likes this.
  8. Kim McCann

Wow, I am sorry to hear that. I have to say that the very few times I've had to call them, they have been super helpful. This time was over the top helpful, but even at worst they'd take the time to try and sort me out. If you have to call them again, ask for Esmeralda. She is an absolute gem of a person, and really committed to helping working artists out of a jam.

A mis-threadded head? Ouch.

I think in my case, my local retailer that distributes for Iwata got a batch of counterfeit parts. I bought a bunch of stuff on my last resupply trip, and 3/4s of the stuff failed, and honestly, it looked weird. Nozzles were dull and grey, not shiny and bright, needles were blunt at the tip, a crown cap was warped and did't look like my other micron caps... It was really surprising. I'd never had trouble with Iwata parts ever until this last year.

I shipped some of the parts I kept as evidence back to them on request so they could investigate. I never expected them to reach out and help me like they did.

Maybe they have upped their game since you had your trouble.

Where did you get the mis-threaded head out of interest? Any problem with other parts from them?

I ask, because I'd like to avoid ordering from places that might have bad parts.