Iwata Can You Answer This challange!

E

Eric'sTshirts

I use an Iwata HP-BCS. I got my first set of these off eBay. However, they have no packing screw. Apparently, Iwata makes several versions of this airbrush.

Some have a two part auxiliary lever and some have only part. Doing some digging, I found all these markings on different Iwata HP-BCS models. So ... I want to sort out the differences. Let's see what you're is.

iwata hp-bcs "PC" "WM" "FB" "ML" "GH" or just "JAPAN" are on the body of different models. I think the ML models are very old, have the two part level, and no packing screw. My new WM model has a one part level and a packing screw.

Who can help sort these by age?
Or differences?

Eric

Yep, JackEb got it - those letters are a date code used to identify Iwata's. There are brushes that are date code stamped that predate the 2003 start date on this chart however, so you have to do a little back tracking - 2002 would be a "B", 2001 an "A" etc... followed by the month code.

There has been a few minor changes in production through the years, as manufacturing processes have evolved - but, nothing major.

here's a chart you will find useful :)
If you have one marked WM thats impressive time travel, according to this that would make it 2018 Dec build lol
I hold no responsibility for the accuracy of the chart.

View attachment 55233
of the few I've compared to this chart some seem to not fit, even by extrapolating backdates.... ......
but wm is possibly...97 DEc ?

Sorry, should have covered it, but looks like Robby got that part - he described the revisions to the model from the beginning.

Yeah, sorry, i shouldnt post before my 3rd cup of coffee lol,
the OP was talking about his 'new' WM - I assumed it was a new airbrush, it may just be a new to him 2nd hand unit.

Yeah, sorry, i shouldnt post before my 3rd cup of coffee lol,
the OP was taliking about his 'new' WM - I assumed it was a new airbrush, it may just be a new to him 2nd hand unit.
Hard to say.... I was just guessing....he said it has the one piece rocker and chuck.....so it could be new. Those are the ones ive checked that didnt seem to fit. The letters indicate either a future build date or a build date in the past that doesnt seem to coincide with the features

Last edited:
Yep, JackEb got it - those letters are a date code used to identify Iwata's. There are brushes that are date code stamped that predate the 2003 start date on this chart however, so you have to do a little back tracking - 2002 would be a "B", 2001 an "A" etc... followed by the month code.

There has been a few minor changes in production through the years, as manufacturing processes have evolved - but, nothing major.
Nice - thanks

I knew some smart person on this forum would have the answer. This chart is super helpful when buying on eBay if the person does not use stock images, but a real photo of their auction item. I'd like to keep all my guns the same type. Or at least all have packing screws.

Groan....... because of my nature I had to double check what is possible here with these codes......... GUESS WHAT......
there is no 'I' 'N' 'O' 'Q' or 'V' on that chart !! Now the question is: Is this a true chart from Iwata . . . .
If this is just some random chart that has been circulating from the internet then we've all been suckered.

Do we have anyone here that can check with Iwata ?? @DaveG, do you have any official word that this chart is in fact accurate...

any how.....working with what we have and again, because of my nature (I think i'm part Pit Bull, ) and using the available codes above, I've populated the chart with the letters available in the post above for the dates pre 2003.

upload_2018-7-26_9-6-25.png

Jackie, I like your extrapolation on what the date codes might be, if everything holds up with the original chart. Be a shame if Iwata used "dynamic date codes" and changed the formula every few years. Worked at a company like that. Made servicing stuff a nightmare for everybody.
Let's hope Dave can shed some light (or knows who could).
While you are tenacious, I never compare you to a pit bull. Dragon Hound perhaps... ;)

Jackie, I like your extrapolation on what the date codes might be, if everything holds up with the original chart. Be a shame if Iwata used "dynamic date codes" and changed the formula every few years. Worked at a company like that. Made servicing stuff a nightmare for everybody.
Let's hope Dave can shed some light (or knows who could).
While you are tenacious, I never compare you to a pit bull. Dragon Hound perhaps... ;)

tenacious, determined, persistant, stubborn, strong willed, relentless . . . . . all kind of mean the same thing. . .all i know is I have the sort of personality that I just need a resolution to things :confused:

How about a 'Pit Dragon' lol maybe I need a muzzle lol

upload_2018-7-26_9-52-48.png

I do recall reading somewhere when they actually began using the date codes and if i remember right it was unofficial for a couple years so not all of them got it. I Think it only became official in like 98 or something if i remember right. IDK maybe I can find that info again.

Back