Iwata CM-B

R

Rees

So, I just managed to KO my brush again. First time with the micron. Bent the needle straight sideways and crimped the fluid nozzle while trying to remove from the front side. The only two parts that actually need replacing are the nozzle and the needle. Could those of you who have experience with this tell me if I have to buy the whole new assembly to get it working right or if I can just purchase the two parts i need?

Most likely it will work, done it in the past. They say the heads are matched, but we all change our needles.

Hi Rees,
I recently replaced just the nozzle in my CM-SB and it works fine. The nozzle wasn't centered in the Nozzle Cap but it still sprayed ok. Later I put a bit of Teflon Tape under the edge of the Nozzle Cap to center the nozzle and it sprayed the same. AndreZA said that there is some play in the nozzle cap so I could screw it on with the emphasis in the direction I need to centre the nozzle but the Nozzle Cap opening is so small I haven't dared try that yet.

So you can just replace the needle and nozzle. Or if you are fussy and have loads of money you can buy a needle and a whole head unit.
If you replace the Nozzle just be careful when you screw the nozzle cap on, it's a very tight fit.
Good luck
Mel

Buying the head unit is ideal, but not really required. As Melbee said, if the new nozzle is a bit off-center, there are ways to compensate a bit if needed. For the most part, though, Iwata's production tolerances are pretty tight, so you should be able to change it out and go.

I'm not sure if you know cars or motors a whole lot, but the metaphor I like is that the head-matching Iwata does is basically like indexing spark plugs. For one, the basic techique/idea is used. But the actual performance advantage in indexing your plugs isn't much. It's more just a way to make sure you're getting every horsepower possible. Same with head unit matching. The difference between a perfectly centered nozzle/nozzle cap, and one that's slightly off-center is pretty marginal. It's just that, if you want that extra bit of performance, you use a matched unit (or match one yourself).

Only needle and nozzle is needed. I don't know what they they align with what in the factory but my nozzle is perfectly center of my nozzle cap. Needle runs off-center but it never were perfectly center even from day one. I sprays perfect as it is and not gonna fiddle with something that is not broken. Sales gimmick if you ask me.

Yeah, coast sure does like to advertise that "assembly" for 120 bucks though. Needle and nozzle alone were just shy of 70. Quite a difference from screwing up my C+. I could by two needles and two nozzles for that!

Yeah, coast sure does like to advertise that "assembly" for 120 bucks though. Needle and nozzle alone were just shy of 70. Quite a difference from screwing up my C+. I could by two needles and two nozzles for that!
Yeah, that's why I modify cheapo crown caps for all my Iwata's, I haven't bent a needle since. AndreZA and I have both put up threads on how we did it.
You can buy ready made Air Caps but they are smaller, paint gathers on the prongs and they are harder to pick up. I also remove the whole head unit when I clean the Micron and never dismantle it apart from taking off the Air Cap. Oh yeah, this is my Olympos but it's the same as the Iwata Microns.
Finished Aircap from 4 to 2 prongs.jpg

Back