Iwata Compressors 875-925

P

Pspo

Hi

I would like to find out if the following airbrushes are the most suitable for the compressor i am looking at

i plan to get the following airbrushes

- Iwata Revolution HP-CR -0.5mm Nozzle , gravity feed
- Iwata W101 - Mini Spray gun - Not sure what nozzle size to get at this time
but i would like to spray small metal flake with this gun.

Compressors i am considering are

- Iwata Power Jet lite IS-925 - 0-60psi
- Iwata Power Jet Pro IS-975 - 0-60psi

I will be using Createx airbrush paint which should be used at 40-50psi with a 0,5 tip
which is why i am considering the Iwata HP-CR

so i would like to find out if either of these 2 compressors will be suitable for the 2 sprayguns listed

The Iwata compressors tend to be a little small for spray guns. The one with a tank would be my choice, what are you wanting to spray?

I have the power jet pro with tank and find that it cannot spray at 60psi also the wider the fan pattern the more psi you need. You can get an eclispe with a flake buster?

I was told that the Iwata W101 is a mini spray gun - the shop i asked were really not very informative and kept trying to sell me items...
i decided that i should speak with real users and found this forum ... so i hope i can get it sorted out soon...

this may sound unusual but i will be spraying small wooden object of no larger than 7cm in diameter...
i will be spraying first a few coats of Createx Transparent base,then some opaque White Createx, then the actual colourway and finishing up with some gloss...
For this i will be using the Iwata HP-CR as it had the 0.5 tip which is what Createx recommends with their paint

The W101 will be used to mix in some small metal flake onto the wooden objects...
could be ultra small or small... not sure as i have never seen the actual size....

Sounds like you only need a .5 air brush, I spray the auto air flake through mine with no issues just needs reducing. I used my LPH80 mini gun and its runs on my powerJet Pro just about :)
Maybe look at the TH range of iwata's
I use a Iwata Revolution

The W101 comes with a standard .1 needle/nozzle combination there are also conversion kits available for larger needle combinations. The IS-975 CFM is rated for small guns. The other compressors mentioned I'm not sure they would be able to perform with the W101 .

I would wait on the W101 the HP-CR with a .50 might be all you need to spray the "small" flake, what brand are you looking at? might give some a better idea of "small flake" and if the CR can handle it.

Sounds like you only need a .5 air brush, I spray the auto air flake through mine with no issues just needs reducing. I used my LPH80 mini gun and its runs on my powerJet Pro just about :)
Maybe look at the TH range of iwata's
I use a Iwata Revolution

Thanks very much for your reply
i believe you mentioned this other Iwata to look at - the Iwata HP-TH (fan spray)
this has a trigger and a choice included in the box of a regular nozzle and also a fan spray nozzle...

this looks very nice with the option of both airbrush and small mini spray gun..
I will need to know for sure if this can really work well with -Ultra small or small metal flake...
also which compressor from the 875 or 925 will work with this gun.....
i will try and look online for some answers....

The W101 comes with a standard .1 needle/nozzle combination there are also conversion kits available for larger needle combinations. The IS-975 CFM is rated for small guns. The other compressors mentioned I'm not sure they would be able to perform with the W101 .

I would wait on the W101 the HP-CR with a .50 might be all you need to spray the "small" flake, what brand are you looking at? might give some a better idea of "small flake" and if the CR can handle it.

thanks for your reply
so another member mentioned another option of the Iwata HP-TH (fan spray)
which looks like a very good setup with the choice of 2 nozzles - regular airbrush and also fan spray
would like to find out if this will work with Ultra or small flake before going ahead with any purchase..
regarding Metal flake brands ... not sure of any..
i am based in europe so if your able to recommend me some i would take a look (PM me if not able to post directly here)

@Lion-Art is a supplier based in Europe, I'm sure he will guide you in the right direction.

Its my understanding that none of the Iwata compressors are designed to be used with the spray guns, it may run for quick bursts but the tank will empty quickly causing it to run constantly and overheat.
The Iwata HP-TH requires a minimum of 1.2 cfm and the power jet pro delivers a max of 1.2cfm. it would 'run' the HP-TH but I don't think it would cope for long.

you mentioned spraying 7cm diameter wooden objects, but didn't mention how long they are, they could be broomsticks LOL
if they are only 1cm or so long/deep/high then an eclipse with a flake buster as @musicmacd has mentioned will be a better option, it will happily run on the iwata compressors

so the wooden object are approx cube in size.. roughly 7cm x 7cm x 7cm... something like that

just weighing up the 2 clear options what have come from this thread

1) Iwata Eclipse / Metal Flake Buster / Iwata 875 or 925 compressor
- i can see only a 0.3 nozzle for the eclipse... and thought metal flake is best for a 0.5 tip.....

2) Iwata HP-TH with another compressor... looking for a good suggestion... any good Iwata compressors to fun well with the HP-TH ?
the HP-TH has the 0.5 tip and also the Fan spray which i think can be good for Metal Flake plus i get the 2 choices of tips..
An good fine liner with the airbrush tip and then the Fan spray for layering and gloss coats.. plus metal flake

i hope i have understood this well .. please correct me if not...

If you using the flake buster the tip size is not an issue as it doesnt go through the gun. .5 would be best for the clear coat. I sprayed a medium RC car body with .5 Revolution last night and it came out fine.

I would recommend a compressor with a larger tank for sure, even though you're only spraying a small area it will struggle to keep up. And I'm guessing that you would spray up more than one thing at a time anyway.

You can get a .5 nozzle set up for the eclipse, I believe you have to buy it separately, though not 100% sure. The .35 (which is the hp-cs size) is what I use and it struggles with even just a heavy metallic paint. It will do it, but you have to crank up the pressure a bit and there isn't much in the way of fine control after that. So I would say the .5 is the minimum you would want, and I would be inclined to go a bit bigger.

For clear you usually need gun with a fan pattern as you should overlap passes by at least one third (I like to do 2 thirds), not such an issue for the size you are painting, but if you want to use it for other applications later on, might be something to consider.

the Eclipse HP.BSC is a .5 needle, its a siphon feed. but as MusicMacD has said, with the flake buster attachment, size is irrelevant. the attachment is however designed for 'dry' flake. If you are considering a metallic flake paint then the manufacturer should be able to advise on a tip size for the flake size.

what paint are you considering using ? - I may have missed that piece of info .

Createx airbrush paint....
will be painting onto cube sized wooden objects.. approx size 7cm x 7cm x 7cm

what is setting the HP-TH apart from the Eclipse or revolution is the fan cap.. 2 in 1 package.... very fine lines and also a decent size spray
which looks very nice for gloss coats..covering quick opaque coats
and i think it can do metal flake from this Fan nozzle....
waiting to hear back confirmation about that

Can anyone recommend a good compressor for the HP-TH...? need minimum 1.2cpm
so i can weigh up the costs of both options

General consensus is that you should have a dedicated 'clear' gun/brush.

Back