Iwata Eclipse 0.2mm??

Not to mention when you just wanna lay down some paint
I don’t use any metalics.... never used bigger than a 0.2mm but I’ll give it a try!
I find myself grabbing my .3 a lot
basically 80% actually. It's just plain easier to work with until your into tiny detail.
Doesn't tip dry as much, doesn't clog easy. Way less fiddly in general. So I don't grab the .2 until im ready for it

Not to mention when you just wanna lay down some paint

I find myself grabbing my .3 a lot
basically 80% actually. It's just plain easier to work with until your into tiny detail.
Doesn't tip dry as much, doesn't clog easy. Way less fiddly in general. So I don't grab the .2 until im ready for it
I’ve been doing everything with the CM-C this last week! 0.23 is large for me... Maybe I’ll like the Eclipse!

Hi,

I just bought an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS and am wondering if anyone knows if I can replace the small nozzle tip with a 0.2mm and use a 0.2mm needle in it??

As far as I remember, I've unscrewed original 0.35 nozzle from that brass base and tried screwing in 0.2 nozzle from my HP-SB+ and it worked.
But I see no reason for doing that. As Dave has already said, the gap is big, so the amount of the air will not be as it is in 0.2 air nozzle + 0.2 paint nozzle. Only advantage you can get is applying smaller amount of paint compared to 0.35, but you will not have the ease as 0.2 High Performance or Micron series ability to do detail works.
Though I like the way Eclipses fit in my hand, but for detail works it's better to use other Iwata models.

I think I’ll just frame it and hang it on the wall

If you don't want 0.35 but do want 0.2, why not just sell the eclipse and buy the HP-B? It makes sense to me to do that rather than go tampering, if I bought a brush and found that the nozzle was too big or it didn't perform as I wanted then I obviously bought the wrong brush.

Do you want to be a painter or a scientist?, with your skills I would hope painter, So let the scientists provide you with what you need to be a painter:)

Having said that, the eclipse's larger nozzle makes it a handy tool for blasting in larger areas so it is well worth keeping alongside your other brushes.

Yeah you’re right! It’s not like I don’t have enough fine detail brushes! It’s just that 0.35mm kind of scares me!

Yeah you’re right! It’s not like I don’t have enough fine detail brushes! It’s just that 0.35mm kind of scares me!

Have you tried using the eclipse yet? It is an unbelievably versatile brush, I've had two of them and was surprised by them, I would say it only took me a matter hours to get used to them, the first I noticed us how easy they to clean and maintain, like I said, they are fantastic for filling in large areas, certainly on the sizes you like to work at, but they can also produce some amazing detail in the right hands, their versatility and ease of handling is the reason reason tgey are tge most recommended for beginners, tgey save a lot of headaches in the early learning stages, Mitch (Arbrush tutor) has a Micron and the eclipse and he says he use the eclipse more than the Micron.

Why don't you have a good long play around with it when you have more time, I think you might just be blown away by what it's capable of and you will probably also notice less blockages or tip dry when using some of the darker colours.

It is definitely a brush worth keeping, but it doesn't belong in a frame :)

Jurek Zamoyski has just become a member with us and his armoury includes the Micron and the eclipse and I believe he has the same respect for both brushes, he uses both on his amazing animal paintings.

Every painting I’ve done could have easily been done with an Eclipse. I use my Micron and H&S for detail many times, not that really “need” them to.

Have you tried using the eclipse yet? It is an unbelievably versatile brush, I've had two of them and was surprised by them, I would say it only took me a matter hours to get used to them, the first I noticed us how easy they to clean and maintain, like I said, they are fantastic for filling in large areas, certainly on the sizes you like to work at, but they can also produce some amazing detail in the right hands, their versatility and ease of handling is the reason reason tgey are tge most recommended for beginners, tgey save a lot of headaches in the early learning stages, Mitch (Arbrush tutor) has a Micron and the eclipse and he says he use the eclipse more than the Micron.

Why don't you have a good long play around with it when you have more time, I think you might just be blown away by what it's capable of and you will probably also notice less blockages or tip dry when using some of the darker colours.

It is definitely a brush worth keeping, but it doesn't belong in a frame :)

Jurek Zamoyski has just become a member with us and his armoury includes the Micron and the eclipse and I believe he has the same respect for both brushes, he uses both on his amazing animal paintings.

Haven't received it yet, will probably arrive tomorrow of the day after... Getting very curious now. Today I got some ew airbrushes though, I tried one of them and it's amazing, never had such a good airbrush in my hands! So easy to use, very thin lines, great atomisation, hardly any tip dry! Just WOW! It's the Olympos Micron MP200B with an S3 head. Got it straight from Japan, with no import costs!!!

Haven't received it yet, will probably arrive tomorrow of the day after... Getting very curious now. Today I got some ew airbrushes though, I tried one of them and it's amazing, never had such a good airbrush in my hands! So easy to use, very thin lines, great atomisation, hardly any tip dry! Just WOW! It's the Olympos Micron MP200B with an S3 head. Got it straight from Japan, with no import costs!!!

Make sure to replace the needle and fluid nozzle with PS-770 parts as that will save you many headaches later on...

Regards,
Chris the cabbie

???? *confused* why would I want to do that?
Clearly you haven't read up on Olympos needles have you? For one, They are soft snd not hardened. Secondly, they have a sharp taper and will get bent easily when reassembling after cleaning or if you tap your work inadvertently! The GSI parts are far cheaper than Iwata parts and solve all troubles with .18 parts, comprende?
Regards,
Chris the cabbie

???? *confused* why would I want to do that?
In this case, I am pretty sure you don't want to do it. There are several Olympos brushes that show better performance when switching to Iwata pieces (the Creos PS770 nozzle and needle are the same as the Iwata Micron). However, in the case of the MP200B, I think that the nozzle on the Olympos is just a hair longer than the Iwata version, and the Iwata version of the nozzle does not work that well in the Olympos head. The entire head can be changed to either the Ps770, or Iwata Micron should the need arise in the future.

In this case, I am pretty sure you don't want to do it. There are several Olympos brushes that show better performance when switching to Iwata pieces (the Creos PS770 nozzle and needle are the same as the Iwata Micron). However, in the case of the MP200B, I think that the nozzle on the Olympos is just a hair longer than the Iwata version, and the Iwata version of the nozzle does not work that well in the Olympos head. The entire head can be changed to either the Ps770, or Iwata Micron should the need arise in the future.
What about just the needle? or does that not work out that well either?
I know you generally don't like mismatching needles and nozzles

the nozzles are different, with the Olympos having thicker walls, smaller exit hole - taper needed to seal the nozzle well is different between the two brands.

the nozzles are different, with the Olympos having thicker walls, smaller exit hole - taper needed to seal the nozzle well is different between the two brands.
DaveG and I just spoke and it turns out the head assembly from the Olympos Micron post(the fluid nozzle screws into this) is fractionally shorter. As a result, the nozzle and needle will not work unless you replace the head assembly. To sum up, better get a 3pack of needles from Olympos cuz you gonna need em! I have a set I'll be putting up on eBay as I replaced them with PS770 parts on my SP-B and love the improvement they made.
Regards,
Chris the cabbie

So what should I do then. I think it’s all not that interchanged... What I noticed today that I didn’t have to thin down the paint and hardly have any tip dry today, which is totally different with my CM-SB where the tip dry is constantly and the nozzle even clogs on thin paint! I have a spare 0.18mm Iwata nozzle and needle in my studio which I’m going to try in it tomorrow. The ps-770 nozzles can’t be the same quality for that price. I’m kind of looking for the best performance since I work with this 10 hours a day. I got this one because it has a S3 head which is supposed to be the best and I had the best painting experience today ever so I believe it is so far and I don’t want to mess this up with inferior parts.

Back