For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Iwata Eclipse HP CS nozzle design better?

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Sanctum1099, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Sanctum1099

Sanctum1099 Double Actioner

Hello all,

I'm now shopping around to get an Iwata Eclipse HP CS as a new brush over my old HP-C ( from 1992 ) since the latter's nozzle broke off. I'm now hearing that it has a self centering nozzle and the threads cannot be broken off.

Does this mean this model's industrial design improves on certain things from the HP-C? That's what it sounds like to me. Once I get the new airbrush, I plan to fix the old HP-C and replace its tiny nozzle. From there, I'll have two working brushes to work with.

It also has Telfon O-Rings from a review I read. I don't believe the original HP-C had that? Otherwise, the HP-CS Eclipse should handle any Wicked paint set from Createx.

Thanks!
    jord001 likes this.
  2. DaveG

DaveG Airbush Analyst Very Likeable!

Seems to me that Iwata introduced the Eclipse back in the day to compete with the then favored Paasche VL in the T-shirt painting circles. Introducing a similar nozzle design made the brush appear more familiar to those in the industry, at that time...

Is it a better design? I am sure that will be argued to infinitum. People have a tendency to get a wrench around the hold down/head base and really crank that sucker down trying to get a good seal between nozzle and body. All this does is distort the brass cone (damaging the nozzle). I see it as a six one, half dozen another scenario ;).

That being said, the Eclipse is a great, durable brush, that has tons of versatility. Both it, and the HP-C are brushes that can service someone for a lifetime, and beyond with proper care.
  3. Sanctum1099

DaveG,

Thanks! Actually I just ordered the Eclipse HP CS anyway since it was at a reasonable price on Amazon with free shipping. I figured it's a nice replacement and first modern airbrush I've had since 1992. The HP-C is still here with me but I plan to restore it on the sidelines since the tiny, tiny fluid nozzle broke off and I have to replace it while very carefully putting the new one in. By then, I'll have both functional airbrushes at my arsenal :).

But I'm sure the HP CS will be as long lasting as the HP-C. It's just a matter of taking good care of them.
  4. Maple Art

Maple Art Needle-chuck Ninja

To get the threads out of the body of the HP-C, try using a tooth-pick and back out the threads. If that fails use a #11 x-acto blade, very gently I have had 100% success in getting the threads out of the brush with both methods. Just be super careful not to damage the internal threads of the airbrush.
    JackEb, DaveG and Sanctum1099 like this.
  5. Sanctum1099

Thanks for the tip! I actually have an Xacto knife, albeit quite old with a dulled blade. I also have toothpicks so that's probably a safer bet. I'll try that once I get the replacement fluid nozzle for the HP-C.
  6. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Sanctum1099 likes this.
  7. Sanctum1099

JackEb likes this.
  8. Sanctum1099

And by the way, the Eclipse HP-CS arrives tomorrow via UPS which is quite fast. I'll test it out when I get it to make sure it's working properly. I suspect the Createx Wicked paint I have will flow better on this one from thin to thick lines.
  9. Sanctum1099

Update: The airbrush arrived and it worked like a charm. And it pulled off some nice thin wispy lines and too thick. Feels like the first time I got my HP-C in the early 1990s. This Eclipse is fantastic! Now I'll have to order more Reducers, Cleaners, etc.
    JackEb likes this.
  10. JackEb

Make sure you get the ‘restorer’ ! Brilliant stuff, just remember to rinse it all out when your done or you risk getting funky paint when you spray. I have a tiny container that I keep restorer in, occasionally chuck nozzles / heads in it to soak. I’m still haven’t emptied the original 4oz bottle I bought in 2012 !
    Sanctum1099 likes this.
  11. Sanctum1099

Actually I did order the restorer along with the cleaner and reducer. I didn’t realize you can soak the parts in the restorer liquid or a bowl of it. Should’ve had that initially. At the moment, the needle is out of the airbrush because I didn’t want any residue gumming up on it and keep it dry.
    The 4 oz bottles should ship next week due to the holiday. Little by little, I’m rebuilding my airbrush gear and paint.
    JackEb and DaveG like this.
  12. JackEb

As long as you keep any seals out of the restorer then all will be fine.
    You can use a small glass airbrush jars (Without the adaptor lid)
    A2B78364-6ABC-4F1F-8CF1-2C0CC04BB567.jpeg
    DaveG and Sanctum1099 like this.