Iwata Eclipse HP-CS quandry

C

contenderfan

I have been using an Iwata Neo and an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS for my scale modeling and have regretted buying the Eclipse shortly after I started using it. The Eclipse just never seemed to spray right, with the Neo out performing it at every turn. Well, last night I though I had found the reason why...after working with the Eclipse, I had torn it down for cleaning and found a small chip of metal blocking one of the three holes in the Nozzle Cap. I thought "Ok, theres the problem." So, I removed the metal chip by flushing the cap with water. NOW the Eclipse wont spray anything, not even water, at LESS than 20 psi. Anything below 20 psi and I just get bubbles in the paint cup. Turn the pressure up above 20 psi and water will flow very thin, to get full flow you have to go up to 40 psi...I know this is not right because the Neo will actually do hair fine lines at about 10 psi.
The nozzle is clear, you can see right through it, everything is in place and snug...so I have no clue whats going on. Im going to look at it again tonight, but if I cant recify the situation it will go back to Iwata this week. Any suggestions from the crowd would be appreciated! Thanks!

You have a clogged Nozzle. Sound like being you found a metal ship in the crown cap some of the chrome may have flaked off and got into the nozzle.
Bubble in the paint cup means clog in the needle nozzle area.
Also if you are using water based model paint order some restorer made by createx if by chance there is dry paint keeping the paint from flowing this will dissolve it. Or you can use denatured alcohol.

I wish it were that simple Mr. Micron...everything indicates a blockage, but the nozzle is free and clear, you can see daylight through it easily. I also have a 36x magnifier that I have used to check everything out.

The AB body is not clogged, the needle cap is not clogged or blocked, the nozzle itself is immaculate with no cracks or dents and as stated is not clogged. The needle is not bent or broken. There is simply no reason that I should not be getting flow through it. Theres plenty of air coming through, it just will not let any flid flow, not even water or cleaner unless your spraying above 20 psi. Even then the flow at 20 psi is extremely weak, only at 40 psi do you get full spray. I know for a fact this AB was spraying below 10 psi originally. Heck my Neo will work down to about 5-7 psi extremly well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I had the same issue, but with my Neo. And after cleaning it several times, still no paint out. After few days, when I was almost decided to buy another brush, I discovered the channel that brings the air to the nozzle area (I don't know exactly the name) was blocked (very little air was passing through). I detached the air valve, cleaned the channel with a bristle brush, put everything back and it was working again. Not like new, in my process of cleaning, before discovering this, I used the bristle brush to clean inside the airbrush, managed to break the needle seal (take care and don't repeat my mistake). After I changed the seal, the brush was indeed working like new again. Hope it helps.

catalin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Air flow is not my problem, I am getting tons of air on demand, I just cant get fluid through it. I even pulled the needle and filled the cup with water, then sealed my lips around the edges of the paint cup and blew through it gently. The water flows through the nozzle freely. I just took it all apart and checked everything a 4th time to make sure I didnt miss anything. There is just no reason it shouldnt work. Its goin back to Iwata as soon as I can find time to ship it out.

Check also this channel. Also for me, the air was coming out, and it seemed to be quite a lot, but only at higher psi. After I cleaned it this way, the air was flowing right even at 1-2 psi, before no.

catalin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As stated in previous post...have checked everything that could possibly be blocked and everything is wide open and clear. I am simply at a loss here.

As stated in previous post...have checked everything that could possibly be blocked and everything is wide open and clear. I am simply at a loss here.

I would send it back due to it sounds more like you have a defeated one.
But being the NEO and CS both have the .35 needle they should spray almost the same.
But being the CS is there main line and work horse of a brush you should be getting better results from it.
So send it in .

I know you can see through the nozzle, and it seems clean, but there can still be paint clinging to the inner surface of the nozzle, which will give a narrower space for paint to try and flow through. Try soaking the nozzle in airbrush restorer or similar. Also check it for cracks. If it's no better then return it. The hp-cs is an awesome brush, I can't say enough about it, so I hope you get this issue resolved, and are able to use it and enjoy the performance it should have.

When I have that issues , I look if the needle comes out of the noozle all the way that must do , sometimes you can notice that needle point is short that it should be , that's because dry ink in the noozle is blocking his way

Last ditch effoert before sending it back to Iwata, goin to Hobby Lobby to get a replacement needle and nozzle. Im still not convinced theres anything wrong with the ones i have because the AB is too new and was working prior to removing the small chip of metal from one of the holes in the nozzle cap. But, I figure I need spares anyway even if I have to send it back if its still not working after installing the new needle and nozzle. If it DOES work...then we will all know I am full of beans!

I know you can see through the nozzle, and it seems clean, but there can still be paint clinging to the inner surface of the nozzle, which will give a narrower space for paint to try and flow through. Try soaking the nozzle in airbrush restorer or similar. Also check it for cracks. If it's no better then return it. The hp-cs is an awesome brush, I can't say enough about it, so I hope you get this issue resolved, and are able to use it and enjoy the performance it should have.

Last ditch effoert before sending it back to Iwata, goin to Hobby Lobby to get a replacement needle and nozzle. Im still not convinced theres anything wrong with the ones i have because the AB is too new and was working prior to removing the small chip of metal from one of the holes in the nozzle cap. But, I figure I need spares anyway even if I have to send it back if its still not working after installing the new needle and nozzle. If it DOES work...then we will all know I am full of beans!

Well keep us posted , It could very well be a bad brush, but it could be a back nozzle to .
But the only way to know is try it.

Well, the problem is solved. I decided to take the Eclipse with me, along with the recipt on the outside chance that Hobby Lobby would be willing to exchange it for another one. I really figured they would say it had to be returned to the manufacturer but to my suprise they did indeed exchange it. :joyous: As it turns out, they only had two in stock when I bought the original one two weeks ago, and it had been returned as defective and somehow got put back in the case for sale. No wonder it was problematic right out of the box!
I went ahead and got an extra needle and nozzle for spares since I had a couple 40% off coupons and headed home with a brand new Eclipse HP-CS. WOW...what a difference!!! Very nice airbrush indeed! much smoother than the first one, action and paint flow is instantaneous. Dagger strokes, blending, and control are nearly second nature with this one and the atomization is awesome. I couldnt be happier. Now maybe I can actually make some progress with my practice.
So, it seems I wasnt full of beans after all...unless you ask the wife anyway. :tongue-new:

Well, the problem is solved. I decided to take the Eclipse with me, along with the recipt on the outside chance that Hobby Lobby would be willing to exchange it for another one. I really figured they would say it had to be returned to the manufacturer but to my suprise they did indeed exchange it. :joyous: As it turns out, they only had two in stock when I bought the original one two weeks ago, and it had been returned as defective and somehow got put back in the case for sale. No wonder it was problematic right out of the box!
I went ahead and got an extra needle and nozzle for spares since I had a couple 40% off coupons and headed home with a brand new Eclipse HP-CS. WOW...what a difference!!! Very nice airbrush indeed! much smoother than the first one, action and paint flow is instantaneous. Dagger strokes, blending, and control are nearly second nature with this one and the atomization is awesome. I couldnt be happier. Now maybe I can actually make some progress with my practice.
So, it seems I wasnt full of beans after all...unless you ask the wife anyway. :tongue-new:

Well at least now you know that Hobby Lobby screws up..LMAO

I bought my first battery operated eraser from them , It looked new in the package. But after I got it home and unpackaged it I saw written under it BAD... So I looked into it and it just need a wire reconnected and works great but I did take it back into the store and ask them why it had been repackaged.
Seems everyone tries to get over these days..

But Happy you have it fixed and being you own both the Neo and the CS which on sprays better?

I can tell you honestly thats gonna be a tough call. My Neo is one super AB depite being a "starter" brush. The atomization is right there with this new Eclipse, and so far I am still able to get finer lines with the Neo. It just seems to spray better at lower pressures (5-7 psi). Now having said all that, its only fair to say that I have only had about 30 minutes with the new Eclipse, I just ran out of playtime tonight. My opinion my change once I am able to work with the new Eclipse for a while, I will say it is much more responsive as far a paint delivery than the Neo. You hit the air flow and just THINK about pulling back on the trigger and it sprays, or so it seems. So it may take a while for me to develop the right touch to get the hair fine lines with the Eclipse that seem to come so easy with the Neo. Also...dagger strokes and reverse dagger strokes are much much easier with the Eclipse. It really is a tough call so far...the Neo really is a fine AB for the price in my opinion. Will have more to come later, THANKS TO ALL for the help and opinions, I knew the dang thing should have been working better than what it was, but was really starting to doubt my sanity when it stopped spraying under 20 psi period.

I can tell you honestly thats gonna be a tough call. My Neo is one super AB depite being a "starter" brush. The atomization is right there with this new Eclipse, and so far I am still able to get finer lines with the Neo. It just seems to spray better at lower pressures (5-7 psi). Now having said all that, its only fair to say that I have only had about 30 minutes with the new Eclipse, I just ran out of playtime tonight. My opinion my change once I am able to work with the new Eclipse for a while, I will say it is much more responsive as far a paint delivery than the Neo. You hit the air flow and just THINK about pulling back on the trigger and it sprays, or so it seems. So it may take a while for me to develop the right touch to get the hair fine lines with the Eclipse that seem to come so easy with the Neo. Also...dagger strokes and reverse dagger strokes are much much easier with the Eclipse. It really is a tough call so far...the Neo really is a fine AB for the price in my opinion. Will have more to come later, THANKS TO ALL for the help and opinions, I knew the dang thing should have been working better than what it was, but was really starting to doubt my sanity when it stopped spraying under 20 psi period.

Now make y9our next Airbrush a Badger Krome .2 and .3 nozzle set up comes with it and you will be set and can pull even finer lines.:D
But yes I am sure since the Neo was working and the Eclipse was not that you are more use to using the Neo.

Funny you should mention that Mr. Micron...I am waiting to recieve a Badger Krome and a badger Sotar 20/20. Ordered both of them this past Saturday. Tracking indicates the Sotar should be here tomorrow. I have not recieved a shipping notification on the Krome yet though. The Krome was ordered from TCP Global, the Sotar from Amazon. Got a hell of a deal on the Sotar otherwise I would have just gotten the Krome only.

Back