Iwata Eclipse HP-CS repair suggestions

chwilson0607

Young Tutorling
I was looking to add to my toolbox of airbrushes as I've switched to using gravity feed more than siphon feed. I came across two used Eclipse HP-CSs. SInce I've used Eclipse models for several years I figured I'd be able to clean them pretty well if needed. They were really dirty - a good soaking in airbrush restorer helped. Here's the issue - 1 sprays pretty good however paint is still released with only air depressed. Tells me the needle is not in all the way but it seems its in as far as it can go. The other one - sprays good but paint doesn't come out unless the trigger is pulled pretty far back. Any advice on where to go from here? More soaking? Any parts that may need replacing?

Thanks,
Carl

The one that you need to pull back quite far on, does the needle spring tension need adjusting? Or could be a slight blockage causing a delay.

The one that is letting paint out with just air on - sounds as though the needle isn't seating properly. So the nozzle is either not as clean as you think, or it could be damaged. It's also possibly a tension issue too. If it's too loose, it could be the needle is not returning all the way forward and so affecting how it seats.

The one that you need to pull back quite far on, does the needle spring tension need adjusting? Or could be a slight blockage causing a delay.

The one that is letting paint out with just air on - sounds as though the needle isn't seating properly. So the nozzle is either not as clean as you think, or it could be damaged. It's also possibly a tension issue too. If it's too loose, it could be the needle is not returning all the way forward and so affecting how it seats.
Thanks Squishy. I think the spring on one of them definitely needs replacing - its stretched out a bit. I got a good bit of paint out of the nozzles on both of them - possible one of them could be damaged. I can soak them more and see what happens. The needle on one of them definitely seems like its not going all the way in. Since the nozzles are so tiny, kind of hard to tell if theyre really damaged or not. It may be a good idea to just get some replacements?

if they've been stored in less than pristine condition then its going to take a few soaks to get back to what it should be.
you can either soak the front of the body in restorer and pop the nozzle (minus seals) in a small jar of restorer for a few days and clean, put back in restorer, clean . . . . do that for a week or so and see if its any better. as you are probable aware, it doesn't take much dried crud to make the spraying play up

if they've been stored in less than pristine condition then its going to take a few soaks to get back to what it should be.
you can either soak the front of the body in restorer and pop the nozzle (minus seals) in a small jar of restorer for a few days and clean, put back in restorer, clean . . . . do that for a week or so and see if its any better. as you are probable aware, it doesn't take much dried crud to make the spraying play up

thanks Jack. Maybe I will try that too. I left them in for a day or so. But some of the crap I cleaned out shows me how unclean they were kept.

sometimes it will take multiple soakings to get through and soften the layers of paint.

If paint keeps coming out with only air on, the needle is in as far as it will go, and the trigger is firmly forward, you probably have a ding'd nozzle, or some irregularity in your needle tip. Not badly enough to prevent spraying, but enough to not allow a complete seal. I'd swap out the nozzle, and carefully polish and resharpen then needle.

I was looking to add to my toolbox of airbrushes as I've switched to using gravity feed more than siphon feed. I came across two used Eclipse HP-CSs. SInce I've used Eclipse models for several years I figured I'd be able to clean them pretty well if needed. They were really dirty - a good soaking in airbrush restorer helped. Here's the issue - 1 sprays pretty good however paint is still released with only air depressed. Tells me the needle is not in all the way but it seems its in as far as it can go. The other one - sprays good but paint doesn't come out unless the trigger is pulled pretty far back. Any advice on where to go from here? More soaking? Any parts that may need replacing?

Thanks,
Carl
Did you remove all the o-rings when soaking it in the restorer? Seals and restorer do not get a long they swell up.
If paint is coming out just by pressing air on I would first look at the nozzle to make sure it isn't cracked or damaged. Then the needle.
Hobby Lobby carries the .35 and .5 nozzles and needles for the Eclipse and the 40% off coupon makes them cheaper.
Nothing else take the 2 hour drive north to Bloomington and look me up , I will check it out and see what is going on .
Just PM me.

I had a similar problem on my Eclipse and it was a partial blockage caused from a build up of fibres in the nozzle, probably from a cleaning cloth I will now no longer use. The needle would not seat fully home.
I managed to poke a bit of it out and using a good magnifying glass or mcroscope could then get hold of it and pull it out. It resenmbled a small white grub.

I had a similar problem on my Eclipse and it was a partial blockage caused from a build up of fibres in the nozzle, probably from a cleaning cloth I will now no longer use. The needle would not seat fully home.
I managed to poke a bit of it out and using a good magnifying glass or mcroscope could then get hold of it and pull it out. It resenmbled a small white grub.
Welcome dragon.jpg

Back