Iwata HP-C+ 0.2 conversion

Cordyk

Sheriff Woody (Admington)
Ok peeps, I want to covert my HPC + from a 0.3 to a 0.2 (poor mans micron). Now, am I correct in thinking its only the nozzle and cap that needs changing and not the needle? Just a tad confused so need some clarification please from your good selves:)

Kev

The original "Poor Man's Micron" is as follows. Replace the .3mm C tip from the HP-C, with a .2mm tip from the HP-B. Keep the needle the same
I also recommend replacing the standard separate trigger, and plunger system with a trigger from a HP-BC. It is not only a single piece, that feels smoother, and wears longer, but is taller, which is important for detail control. Especially since you have lost a bit of needle throw with the tip exchange. This taller trigger is where the idea for the taller trigger in the new Kustom Line came from. That is about all you have to do to create your poor man's Micron.

We have been selling the nozzle and taller trigger for years . Now with the new Hi line series you can
make a full conversion . The nozzle cap from the Hi line a and b fit the C !
you can also switch out PTFE needle bearing and .2 needle making it a true .2 mm .
Having the right nozzle cap improves the suction being that that hole is a bit smaller .
The needle makes a little difference but not much . Like mr micron said .....if you go with the taller trigger it makes
the action a bit less sensitive .
Here are some parts numbers we use at coastairbrush.com
i-140-7 .2 nozzle cap
I-125-7. .2needle bearing PTFE solvent proof .
i-075-1 or I-075-2. 2 nneedles
i-080-7 .2 nozzle
i-100-3 taller trigger mod

Just doing the nozzle and nozzle cap make a big difference .
hope this helps .

Thanks chaps for that info, I am considering going for the 0.2 needle as well but how tricky is it to switch out the needle packing screw and replace it with the 0.2. ?

Not to tricky ! Getting it in is a hit more tricky . We are working on a tool to be able to do it .
You want to make sure you don't over tighten . This can crush the PTFE bearing and mess it up .
Just keep checking the tension by reinserting the needle . It needs to have some tension but still move smooth.
if paint or cleaner is leaking back into the trigger area then its not making a seal.
A 3mm flat head screwdriver is what you need to tighten it .
I have add myself a kind of pilot tube out of a paasche VL number 3 needle .
I filed down the sides making it flat so I can put the bearing on it and have the ides line up into the screw slot .

Hey Dave, thanks for all your help and suggestions on the forum. I have an old style HP-C that I'd like to convert to a poor man's micron since I don't use it much anyway. Do you have the parts to convert the old style HP-C? I don't want to change out the needle because I prefer less needle sticking out of the nozzle. What parts would I need and do you have them available for the older style HP-C?

Not to tricky ! Getting it in is a hit more tricky . We are working on a tool to be able to do it .
You want to make sure you don't over tighten . This can crush the PTFE bearing and mess it up .
Just keep checking the tension by reinserting the needle . It needs to have some tension but still move smooth.
if paint or cleaner is leaking back into the trigger area then its not making a seal.
A 3mm flat head screwdriver is what you need to tighten it .
I have add myself a kind of pilot tube out of a paasche VL number 3 needle .
I filed down the sides making it flat so I can put the bearing on it and have the ides line up into the screw slot .

Cheers David, I like the idea of using an old needle to line it up, thanks again for your help....shame you don't have a shop in the UK:)

Sure ! Take the needle to a stationary grinder and grind two sides . I then bend the needle on the back to make for better leverage when turning . Having the needle inside the bearing whole tightening helps keep you from squishing the bearing .

in response to the old HPC .... Change the nozzle only to the .2mm and it will work .
You lose only a little suction .
Not 100%sure about using the nozzle cap from the plus series . I would have to run some test .
The plus nozzles are different from the old ones .

Back